closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Rush Limbaugh

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I perfectly understand why you hate the notion of virtue signalling Matt. Very tough to deal with isn't it? Have a trip into the Bear Pit and help them out justifying wishing people dead. I think they need you.
    If you ask him nicely, he might just let you out of his back pocket.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Ironically, he was one of the main agents of hauling that particular phrase out of a minor technical role in obscure sociology and into the alt-right toolkit. In its current guise, it's a particularly Orwellian insult as it isn't just a decent insult, but it forces the user to connote, say, disgust with racism and racists with insincerity. The idea that abhoring a man like Limbaugh isn't sincere, but is in fact just an attempt to signal compliance with the norms of an in group is impressively corrosive. Mind you, it's handy as it saves the user the trouble of actually engaging with the ethical problems with someone like Limbaugh. Perhaps if people did keep up with folk like Limbaugh, and the shit they are spreading, you wouldn't have to virtue signal: you'd actually be disgusted. As it is, you apparently don't know who he is, but you are repeating his propaganda.
    Bravo sir.

Ironically, he was one of the main agents of hauling that particular phrase out of a minor technical role in obscure sociology and into the alt-right toolkit. In its current guise, it's a particularly Orwellian insult as it isn't just a decent insult, but it forces the user to connote, say, disgust with racism and racists with insincerity. The idea that abhoring a man like Limbaugh isn't sincere, but is in fact just an attempt to signal compliance with the norms of an in group is impressively corrosive. Mind you, it's handy as it saves the user the trouble of actually engaging with the ethical problems with someone like Limbaugh. Perhaps if people did keep up with folk like Limbaugh, and the shit they are spreading, you wouldn't have to virtue signal: you'd actually be disgusted. As it is, you apparently don't know who he is, but you are repeating his propaganda.
    Best come back and slap down so far this year.

Keep it up!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I perfectly understand why you hate the notion of virtue signalling Matt. Very tough to deal with isn't it? Have a trip into the Bear Pit and help them out justifying wishing people dead. I think they need you.
    Most BS is hard to deal with. When someone chooses to forgo any worries about truth then anyone who wants to be combat that in a virtuous manner is going to have the burden of actually bothering to get their ducks straight. A burden that anyone who uses lazy BS phrases like that is relived of. It's a stupid insult for stupid people. I think better of you than that.

If you want to make the explicit claim that, for example, I say I abhor Limbaugh's racism, (to pick one example of many) not because I abhor racism, but that I am secretly racist but want to appear better than I am. Then make your case. If you just want to imply that in a lazy way without actually bothering with evidence, then use this all purpose insult.
    Last edited by M4tt; 18th February 2021 at 22:12.

One less c*** in the world

Bill Hick’s take on him had some pretty intense mental imagery

‘What would Bill Hicks think’ can be a useful exercise

Watching some clips on YouTube, what a loon.

But as they say, nobody is all bad!

RIP Rush

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post

RIP Rush
    Showing your true colours, Ally.

RIP Rush
    Is a cockroach migrant in Londonistan not all bad then either? I guess the upside is they aren't in your town.

RIP Rush
    Classic Ally.

Most BS is hard to deal with. When someone chooses to forgo any worries about truth then anyone who wants to be combat that in a virtuous manner is going to have the burden of actually bothering to get their ducks straight. A burden that anyone who uses lazy BS phrases like that is relived of. It's a stupid insult for stupid people. I think better of you than that.

If you want to make the explicit claim that, for example, I say I abhor Limbaugh's racism, (to pick one example of many) not because I abhor racism, but that I am secretly racist but want to appear better than I am. Then make your case. If you just want to imply that in a lazy way without actually bothering with evidence, then use this all purpose insult.

People lining up to wish others dead to publicly signal how 'good' they are by comparison - a differential so great that those other people would be better wiped out, while their critic lives on. How do you feel about those people?

I'm afraid I don't understand "If you want to make the explicit claim that, for example, I say I abhor Limbaugh's racism, (to pick one example of many) not because I abhor racism, but that I am secretly racist but want to appear better than I am. My point (about many, but not all, posters) is that their comments are made in an attempt to look good/virtuous rather than because of any heartfelt belief. I do not suggest they hold the opposite belief, but rather that their posts are not motivated by much beyond self-interest, and they go about much of their existence, disinterested and doing nothing positive to change the situations they purport to care about. A ten second burst of garbage and then click send, is as far as it goes.

As the other thread in the Bear Pit amply demonstrates, this subject has flushed out some real nasty pieces of work. The fact that they frequently attempt to hold the moral high ground is as distasteful as it is pathetic.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    People lining up to wish others dead to publicly signal how 'good' they are by comparison - a differential so great that those other people would be better wiped out, while their critic lives on. How do you feel about those people?

I'm afraid I don't understand "If you want to make the explicit claim that, for example, I say I abhor Limbaugh's racism, (to pick one example of many) not because I abhor racism, but that I am secretly racist but want to appear better than I am. My point (about many, but not all, posters) is that their comments are made in an attempt to look good/virtuous rather than because of any heartfelt belief. I do not suggest they hold the opposite belief, but rather that their posts are not motivated by much beyond self-interest, and they go about much of their existence, disinterested and doing nothing positive to change the situations they purport to care about. A ten second burst of garbage and then click send, is as far as it goes.

As the other thread in the Bear Pit amply demonstrates, this subject has flushed out some real nasty pieces of work. The fact that they frequently attempt to hold the moral high ground is as distasteful as it is pathetic.
    That's all right then. People you don't like are horrid. Sorted.

Let's look at this another way. Does anyone want to celebrate Rush Limbaugh's life and achievements?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Let's look at this another way. Does anyone want to celebrate Rush Limbaugh's life and achievements?
    Yes Trump 'led' the tributes - says all you need to know really.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Warning woop woop warning: Bear Pit massif in the G&D.

Shocker

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche