closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Classic BMW

Classic BMW

Picked out new car up today (not this one) and this was languishing in the showroom - made me smile.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

what a beauty that is wow

Blog Entries
    The guy who did this mod-design should be flogged! One of the most iconic cars ever built and then someone without taste comes round and thinks he can improve the design.

Master
    A thing of beauty....but the wheels are a step too far in my book. I’m also not too keen on lowered motors....more style over substance when they are that low. Nevertheless, it may have air ride I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    The guy who did this mod-design should be flogged! One of the most iconic cars ever built and then someone without taste comes round and thinks he can improve the design.
    Couldn't agree more...a criminal act.

That is a shocker, needs covering up as it may cause offence.

Blog Entries
    My local dealer (Cotswold BMW, Cheltenham) has a nice selection of classic (unmodified) BMW and Mini models.

In non-Covid times I spend my service visits there sipping the (nice) free coffee & admiring the classic motors.

This time, I conducted all business online & by phone & we exchanged cars in the car park - strange times !

z

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    That is a shocker, needs covering up as it may cause offence.
    They were very 'proud' that it was in the showroom and seemed unaware of the 'crime'.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

This time, I conducted all business online & by phone & we exchanged cars in the car park - strange times !

z
    We did the discussions via Zoom, handed doc's into reception (when I took the photos) signed digitally via online and chatted outside on collection - all very strange.

Interestingly they said in the chats that BMW have not changed their targets for dealers despite the showrooms being effectively closed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

Interestingly they said in the chats that BMW have not changed their targets for dealers despite the showrooms being effectively closed.
    That's interesting & probably explains why there are deals to be had at the moment...
    ...as I get the impression they are not quite hitting targets.

z

Just like bastardizing modding watches really, although many on the forum seem to find that acceptable.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    That's interesting & probably explains why there are deals to be had at the moment...
    ...as I get the impression they are not quite hitting targets.

z
    Whilst they never said if targets were being met, it was interesting that BMW have not eased off. I did discuss the fact that the Mrs' parents always take a new car off them every 2-3 years and will continue to do so, but if this had to be via online/video chat then they would not have the ability or desire to do so. Clearly they are under pressure.

Looks like an LA lowrider... take it back to factory stance, please!

Did you go for the X5?

They were very 'proud' that it was in the showroom and seemed unaware of the 'crime'.
    Is that in a Main Dealer ? Doesn't look like BMW to me, but I doubt that sort of thing would be condoned by The Bunker.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Looks like an LA lowrider... take it back to factory stance, please!

Did you go for the X5?
    Haha!

Yes David - X5 F16 40d M Sport with a few goodies.

Only driven it home so far but all is good!.

Is that in a Main Dealer ? Doesn't look like BMW to me, but I doubt that sort of thing would be condoned by The Bunker. Oh, on further examination of the snaps, it may well be ..

Is that in a Main Dealer ? Doesn't look like BMW to me, but I doubt that sort of thing would be condoned by The Bunker. Oh, on further examination of the snaps, it may well be ..
    Yes, main dealer.

Haha!

Nice one! 40d, you’ll not be lacking in oomph

Picked out new car up today (not this one) and this was languishing in the showroom - made me smile.
    It's been a very long time since I saw a 3 CSI/CSL on the road - was one of my 'grail' cars.

Haha!

i think the F16 is an older generation X6, the current model X5 is a G05

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Nice one! 40d, you’ll not be lacking in oomph
    Seems very 'eager'

Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    i think the F16 is an older generation X6, the current model X5 is a G05
    X5 not X6.

Changed from F16 to G05 late 2019.

We never buy new.

Once they fix the collapsed suspension it will be marvellous.

Apprentice
    Each to their own when it comes to ‘modding’, be it watches or cars.

Air ride stance isn’t for me though, without it i think it could look tasteful!

Clearly been restored, wonder if that’s the original paint code

Enjoy the 40d!

J

Master
    It certainly looks like air ride to me. Those wheels are tucked up way under the arches. And while that design of wheel wouldn’t be my first choice, I’d gladly and proudly drive that around.
    It’s interesting that people drool over restomods, especially Stinger restomods, but this car has been roundly slated.
    If it is indeed air ride, it would raise up to normal(ish) height during use anyway.

Classic BMW

Very similar to the Euro look which is slammed on the floor with either oversized or undersized wheels, might look fun on a Passat estate but a car of this age and quality should have more class, if it’s air ride that might save the owner some face palm looks!

I’m just restoring a classic BMW now and everything is being kept standard other than the shocks which will be OEM spec Bilstein,
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 16th February 2021 at 06:56.

Blog Entries
    ’m just restoring a classic BMW now and everything is being kept standard other than the shocks which will be OEM spec Bilstein,
    Come on, spoil us with lots of pictures!!

It certainly looks like air suspension; as soon as the motor is started it will raise up to normal height.

It’s clearly well restored and looks pretty standard otherwise.

Lots of pearls being clutched ITT! It's reversible, isn't it? Let people enjoy things!

Is this the right place to post Rusty Slammington?

https://stanceworks.com/2017/10/lege...lable-bmw-e28/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Is this the right place to post Rusty Slammington?

I would imagine it would get toasty warm in there - sharing the cockpit with the the engine & exhaust manifold

z

Always dreamed of a CSL when I was a little younger, even then it was out of my reach, now even more so!
    So I consoled myself with a 2002 Tii instead....wish I had had the foresight to keep it.

Resplendent in Sol ( mango colour ) with a full length Webasto sunroof and a 5 spd box from a E21 320....used to love surprising the XR3i and R5 Turbo boys from the lights...

Blog Entries
    Resplendent in Sol ( mango colour ) with a full length Webasto sunroof and a 5 spd box from a E21 320....used to love surprising the XR3i and R5 Turbo boys from the lights...

I'm seriously thinking of selling my Porsche 914 and replace it with a BMW of that era.

Blog Entries

I'm seriously thinking of selling my Porsche 914 and replace it with a BMW of that era.

Then, about the airside on the car pictured by the OP. Why on earth would consider changing a BMW's handling characteristics for something that's only superior in your mind? After all, a '70s CSL isn't an American 55 Chevy with the handling of a 19th century stage coach from a western movie! I can see the point of upgrading a Chevy's ride. After all, every upgrade makes it better, no matter what. But on a CSL...

Come on, spoil us with lots of pictures!!
    I have been lazy! It’s been off the road for a while and although it wasn’t at all bad I wanted it better.

Most parts I have restored and it will be a gradual process of building all back together from now on, there is a few clues in photos to guess what it is!

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I have been lazy! It’s been off the road for a while and although it wasn’t at all bad I wanted it better.

Most parts I have restored and it will be a gradual process of building all back together from now on, there is a few clues in photos to guess what it is!

BMW E30 M3 by the looks.

Blog Entries
    BMW E30 M3 by the looks.
    Great start, give us more (or open a whole new thread)

BMW E30 M3 by the looks.
    Easy spot for you that and correct, 1987 Diamond Swartz

Great start, give us more (or open a whole new thread)
    Do you know I have been tempted to start a thread as I have hundreds of pictures of what I have been doing with the M3, thing is some threads like this are amazing and I cant wait for the next instalment, not sure my mechanical skills would hold up to such threads though!

Got to say Bigg Red who refurbish brake callipers done a wonderful job, the colour is gold passivate which is factory finish but more importantly they have had a full rebuild with all new pistons, seals and pressure test.

E30 M3, BMW's finest. I sold a few new "back in the day" but was a bit too young to appreciate their qualities. Fortunately other chances presented themselves later on, stone classic and would love to see it completed.

Very cool Beemer, Chris. It reminds me of the green 2002ti I had back in the '70s, like this one:

Later, I bought an '81 528i like this one. It was so bad in the Minnesota snow and ice, I traded it for a new customized Ford Bronco 4x4!

...like this one:

Last edited by pacifichrono; 18th February 2021 at 21:43.

It seems the reg was Sol...not the colour....I cannot remember what it was called....it looked like a Mango Solero though...

I’d rather see a restored and slammed CSL than another left to rot.

I did have the pleasure of talking to the owner of a CSL BatMobile in Sydney, after he parked it up next to me. He had just bought it after BMW had completely refinished the car and auctioned it off!

Craftsman
    Classic and Modern classic BMW’s are looking better and better as time goes by and Bmw’s current offerings get weirder and uglier

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    It seems the reg was Sol...not the colour....I cannot remember what it was called....it looked like a Mango Solero though...

Ha the plate matches the colour's name.

I really dig those 70s and 80s Beemers. 15 yrs back, I was offered a 2002 for 5K euros. Really nice car and it had been for sale for ages when I stumbled upon the car. Pale blue with dark blue (I think) cloth interior. At that time I was fully engage restoring my TR3A so I had no time and no space. In hindsight a bad mistake!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Easy spot for you that and correct, 1987 Diamond Swartz

Do you know I have been tempted to start a thread as I have hundreds of pictures of what I have been doing with the M3, thing is some threads like this are amazing and I cant wait for the next instalment, not sure my mechanical skills would hold up to such threads though!

Got to say Bigg Red who refurbish brake callipers done a wonderful job, the colour is gold passivate which is factory finish but more importantly they have had a full rebuild with all new pistons, seals and pressure test.

Great! You know that someone has paid attention to detail when nipples are back in place, complete with a dust cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’d rather see a restored and slammed CSL than another left to rot.

I did have the pleasure of talking to the owner of a CSL BatMobile in Sydney, after he parked it up next to me. He had just bought it after BMW had completely refinished the car and auctioned it off!
    Totally agree - without enthusiasts (whatever their taste) there would be considerably fewer classics on the road.