closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Alternatives to Belstaff?

Alternatives to Belstaff?

I like the designs of many of the Belstaff coats but I think visible logos (like on the arm) are naff - who else does similar gear that people would recommend?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I like the designs of many of the Belstaff coats but I think visible logos (like on the arm) are naff - who else does similar gear that people would recommend?
    A good friend has a claymore jacket made to measure, cost less than a belstaff equivalent and is exceptionally well made if I’d have seen that before buying a belstaff I’d have been buying that straight away the only badge he’s got on it is a small Union Jack and I think you can choose what you want.

I've always used Barbour. I have 3 jackets, one of them has no logo.

Casual wear or on a motorbike?

I have a Merlin bike jacket that appears to be well put together (comparable with Barbour and Belstaff non-bike jackets I have). I've only worn it once on the bike so too early to say how well it will last and age.

Matchless is a good alternative. Still a small logo on the arm but the brand doesn’t have the same exposure as Belstaff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Casual wear or on a motorbike?

I have a Merlin bike jacket that appears to be well put together (comparable with Barbour and Belstaff non-bike jackets I have). I've only worn it once on the bike so too early to say how well it will last and age.
    Purely casual!

Master
    Purely casual!
    As an alternative the bellstaff leather I have the logo is made of the same as the leather so pretty much invisible

Cant you just unpick the logo?!

I have a few different Barbour's and I like them, I wouldn't mind a Belstaff but I havent seen a model I fancy yet, no bike though purely for casual wear.

I have a bit of a thing about jackets according to my wife and one of my favorites for dog walking etc especially during the winter in the cold, wet and wind is a M&S North Coast I picked it up at a car boot a few years back for £5, the guy bought it and only wore it once as it was too small for him, GREAT coat (imo).

I have a few jackets from Private White VC - the quality is amazing. They have a new wax jacket that looks rather nice

https://www.privatewhitevc.com/produ...31612989440061

Chevalier look quite interesting. Currently on sale on Sportspursuit with some nice waxed and primaloft jackets.

I've got a couple of Peregrine jackets.
    Good quality, made in England stuff.

Claymore jackets are made by an ex Belstaff worker who apparently left to start up by himself as he didn't like the way they were heading, ie more of a fashion item moving away from what they started out as, a decent motorcycling jacket. I know of a couple of people with them who rate their quality as better than Barbour or Belstaff and I myself will probably get one. But if you aren't after a bike jacket then I'm partial to a Barbour (or four), two of which are well over thirty years old and I've just picked up this short model Bedale, worn once for £70.

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    Likewise. Good quality, good price, and nice contemporary styling.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Likewise. Good quality, good price, and nice contemporary styling.
    Same and been around since 1796!!

Their sizing is a bit on the small size but it’s seems Barbour and Belstaff are all over the place as well.

Master
    Another vote for Barbour. I have two of their Sapper jackets (one black one green) and I think they are great. I have heavy weight Belstaff which is very well made but I never wear it.

Claymore come highly rated, I've recently picked up a couple of vintage Britton made by Belstaff items, good quality no badges.

''Back in the old days there were three main big brand companies you would purchase your wax countrywear from......... Barbour, John Partridge and Belstaff. Belstaff although famous for motorcycle clothing also produced a large quantity of countrywear clothing and they did so under the Britton label (they also at one time produced the famous Drizabone). If you look closely at the wonderfully retro neck label, you will see on the top right corner a woven picture of a man on a motorbike.''
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

If its outdoorsy stuff that you want, technical and not fashion orientated, then fill your boots here:

https://www.johnnorris.co.uk/collect...kets-and-coats

Real clothing for action, not cafe clothing.

Other great brands: Musto, Harkila, Ptarmigan

Very, very little branding, because we're just not that crowd

who else does similar gear that people would recommend?
    When I went looking for something similar, I found this UK company:

www.speedwear.co.uk

Very good quality, actually UK based and a fraction of the price of the fashion brands (Belstaff, Barbour etc etc).

Matchless gets my vote.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornish Bob View Post
    Claymore jackets are made by an ex Belstaff worker who apparently left to start up by himself as he didn't like the way they were heading, ie more of a fashion item moving away from what they started out as, a decent motorcycling jacket. I know of a couple of people with them who rate their quality as better than Barbour or Belstaff and I myself will probably get one. But if you aren't after a bike jacket then I'm partial to a Barbour (or four), two of which are well over thirty years old and I've just picked up this short model Bedale, worn once for £70.

You got a bargain there!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    I have a few jackets from Private White VC - the quality is amazing. They have a new wax jacket that looks rather nice

https://www.privatewhitevc.com/produ...31612989440061
    I bought the PW new country wax at Christmas and wow what a lovely jacket it just didn’t fit quite right on me I was gutted to send that back the wool liner was superb. I couldn’t put my finger on why it didn’t look right on me possibly my body shape such a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I have more than enough jackets but these look really good.

Filson
    Their tin cloth jackets are lovely, can sometimes be found cheap on sportpursuit or the sporting lodge websites

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornish Bob View Post
    I have more than enough jackets but these look really good.

Some stunning jackets, the orange one looks similar to the Holubar deerhunter jacket albeit minus the hood. Look well made too

Apprentice
    Few people have mentioned Claymores on here, i too have heard only good things about them. Ironically I called them on Saturday to enquire about having a jacket made, unfortunately Carl has stopped making jackets for the foreseeable future, alluding to some other things going on at the moment. Which is a shame, these are challenging times for everyone in some way or another, wished him well and that was the end of that.

Jaycee

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post
    Few people have mentioned Claymores on here, i too have heard only good things about them. Ironically I called them on Saturday to enquire about having a jacket made, unfortunately Carl has stopped making jackets for the foreseeable future, alluding to some other things going on at the moment. Which is a shame, these are challenging times for everyone in some way or another, wished him well and that was the end of that.

Jaycee
    Ah gutted to hear that the jacket I’ve seen was exceptionally well made

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Same and been around since 1796!!

Their sizing is a bit on the small size but it’s seems Barbour and Belstaff are all over the place as well.
    Totally agree and never buy without trying it on first as the sidings are all over the place and totally unreliable !!

I had a vague intention of treating myself to a Claymore jacket- preferably one that looks more like a safari model rather than indicating I might have recently fallen of a velocette - clearly that might turn out a bit of a challenge. I’d also take a look at Beretta clothing.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    Same here. Good service too, I lost a detachable belt and they sent a new one free of charge. Better quality than Barbour I would say.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Surprised no one has mentioned Orvis yet, very happy with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app