closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any recommendations for some 'bud' style headphones?

Any recommendations for some 'bud' style headphones?

Looking for some experiences on the 'bud' style earphones for my iPod - had some Bose ones up until last night when the cat chewed them - cat has been suitably disciplined :twisted: but I need some replacements. Before I order Bose again has anybody tried anything better?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Re: Any recommendations for some 'bud' style headphones?

Depends how much you want to spend really. I've had Shure E4C's in the past which have been great, but lacking a little in bass. I now have Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro which are fantastic. These kinds of buds are £100 and up, but in a completely different league to the standard iPod buds.

Neil

Grand Master

Don't know how good your chewed Bose were but I'm really happy with my Sennheiser CXL400, although I also have a pair of Denon C700 which were twice the cost & to me don't give all that much more.
    /vince ..

Master

Westone UM2s... absolutely fantastic!

I've got the Bose ones, and tried numerous others, including the eye-wateringly expensive Shure 500's. However, the Westone's are in another class. I paid £200 for mine ( :shock: ) but they're worth every penny. I've also seen them for £130-ish on the net.

Mark.

Master

I use the Sony MXR EX 71 in ear headphones with my ipod. Good sound, comfortable and can be had quite cheap (£25ish). They do suffer from wind noise if you use them on a bike though and a bit of cable noise if jogging. Luckily I don't do exercise! I also bought some of their noise cancelling ones for the plane recently. The noise cancelling worked well but I found those buds uncomfortable.

Had the Sony MXR EX 71's for years. Loved them. Great bass and not silly prices. After about 3 years of running/gym use, one of the earphones died (loose connection I reckon). I now use some cheapo sports headphones for fitness and I purchased the Philips SHN2500 Noise Cancelling headphones for general use. The noise cancelling is great for eliminating any constant low rumbling noises such as on a plane or train. On the downside, the noise cancelling box is bulky and has no means of attach...they sort of just hang there and pull your earphones out if you dont hold the box.

Sennheiser MX500's for less than £20 at Argos. Mine are brilliant. According to What Hi-Fi they're better than ear phones costing 5 times as much. It's enough to spend as well, given that they get a lot of hammer, and can easily get lost.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rygel16th
    Sennheiser MX500's for less than £20 at Argos. Mine are brilliant. According to What Hi-Fi they're better than ear phones costing 5 times as much. It's enough to spend as well, given that they get a lot of hammer, and can easily get lost.
    Are these better than the standard apple supplied ones?
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Had a pair of Shure E2c for a few years now and can't fault them at all, really good earphones.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I have a set of Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro, and they are excellent. The 4 is great as well.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn
    Depends how much you want to spend really. I've had Shure E4C's in the past which have been great, but lacking a little in bass. I now have Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro which are fantastic. These kinds of buds are £100 and up, but in a completely different league to the standard iPod buds.

Neil
    Second both of these recommendations. The new Shure SE420s are better still; and the UE Triple Fis are about as good as you can get before having to go custom fit. Heck, even the entry level Shure SE110s are pretty good.

Ming

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey

A couple of thimbles on a piece of string are better than the Apple supplied headphones. :D It's odd that Apple make the best MP3 player on the market but send it out with poor quality headphones. You can spend a fortune on 'phones but I think that people often forget where they actually use them, on the bus, in the street etc. In those circumstances perfect sound reproduction isn't going to stand out. Spend a lot less on what is still a very good set and get the same enjoyment from your music while having more money in the bank.

The Sennheisers also come in white if you prefer that Apple look, but where I live that's like saying "hey mr hoodie I've got £250 in my pocket".

Sennheiser CX500s are good value and can be found under £35.
    F.T.F.A.

Master

My vote goes with the Sony EX-71 - great value, good sound and very comfortable. :)

I'll second those. :) They are excellent.

Rod

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey

A couple of thimbles on a piece of string are better than the Apple supplied headphones. :D It's odd that Apple make the best MP3 player on the market but send it out with poor quality headphones. You can spend a fortune on 'phones but I think that people often forget where they actually use them, on the bus, in the street etc. In those circumstances perfect sound reproduction isn't going to stand out. Spend a lot less on what is still a very good set and get the same enjoyment from your music while having more money in the bank.

The Sennheisers also come in white if you prefer that Apple look, but where I live that's like saying "hey mr hoodie I've got £250 in my pocket".
    Thanks for that, don't use them much so wouldn't want to spend a great deal
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future