closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Longines BigEye Titanium Blue

Master
    Blog Entries

Longines BigEye Titanium Blue

Just saw this new version from Longines. Can’t decide if I prefer the all black or not.

https://monochrome-watches.com/intro...ue-dial-price/

I love the Longines BigEye, but far better with black dial imo this watch, this dial feels a bit at odds here.

I always like it when brands try something a bit different but this one looks a bit odd to me. Strangely, I feel it would have worked better as some sort of special / limited edition. Maybe it’s just the rendered images though.

Craftsman
    I'm a big fan of titanium for a watch but.... "it will also be more resistant to scratches"?

Erm, no it won't . That's pretty sloppy writing for a dedicated watch review.

I do like the watch though.

Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    I'm a big fan of titanium for a watch but.... "it will also be more resistant to scratches"?

Erm, no it won't . That's pretty sloppy writing for a dedicated watch review.

I do like the watch though.
    Well caught and so wrong by monochrome - though their ‘journalism’ sometimes leaves a lot to be desired.

I like titanium, but think the standard black dial looks better. Nice effort but misses the mark a little.

Cracking watch the Big Eye; one I’ll try at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In grade 5 titanium (which it is) it will be a lot more scratch resistant than SS. Not a mistake at all

Already love the "big eye", but this is a step-up again: absolutely gorgeous!

Apprentice
    Think I prefer the blue dial - really like it. The black looks a bit plain. Lots going on - blue textured dial, yellow hands, white markers, black sub dials, silver case, brown strap on the pics too but somehow comes together nicely. I wouldn’t return it if someone got it me as a gift anyway, let’s put it like that!

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    In grade 5 titanium (which it is) it will be a lot more scratch resistant than SS. Not a mistake at all
    Steel used in watch making is still harder than grade 5 titanium. So need some help in explaining why Ti is more scratch resistant.

Decent looking that.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

That's one handsome piece. Always been fan of asymmetrical features, such as the big eye here. I also like the 'blue fume' dial, reminds me of that of this vintage JLC 2644's:

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Steel used in watch making is still harder than grade 5 titanium. So need some help in explaining why Ti is more scratch resistant.

Mitch *a user here) quoted this here back in 2016

316 stainless steel:
    Tensile Strength - 515 MPa
    Yield Strength - 205 MPa
    Hardness - 217 Brinell scale

316L stainless steel:
    Tensile Strength - 485 MPa
    Yield Strength - 170 MPa
    Hardness - 217 Brinell scale

904L stainless steel:
    Tensile Strength - 490 MPa
    Yield Strength - 220 MPa
    Hardness - 192 Brinell scale

Titanium (Ti-6Al-4V, Grade 5)
    Tensile Strength - 1170 MPa
    Yield Strength - 1100 MPa
    Hardness - 379 Brinell scale

Unless a hardness coating is applied (and many can be to either metal) grade 5 Ti seems to be harder than the common watch steels.
    Coatings make a massive difference. None are claimed in the article, but Duratect makes Titanium almost impervious, just like Damasko's ide-hardening can for stainless.

I was just pointing out that the article was called out for claiming scratch resistance for titanium, and claims of lazy journalism were made.
    But the article clearly states grade 5 Ti (just like Omega use in a polished state) and this does have a claim for added resistance compared to SS, so the article is, in fact, correct, and no accusations of laziness are required.

D

Craftsman
    Apart from some of Zenith's latest releases, this is about the only watch I've got excited about recently. I like the steel Bigeye, but a version in Ti ticks a lot of boxes for me, especially given the severe lack of Ti watches in the luxury market.
    The texture on the dial looks lovely!

Definitely one to view when the shops reopen.

Master
    Love the look of the BigEye, even bought one new from a high street AD. I was shocked by the rotor wobble though, not having had this movement before, and it really put me off so much I returned it. I don't see what value this new version adds as it looks like it's trying to be something it's not and they've crammed it too many currently popular features - blue, fume, aged lume.

ant

The new Longines Big-eye is fantastic looking, love the blue black fade dial. They have the size of the subdials spot on too. Longines seem a little underated on here.

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

Looks like this one will be called Longines Black Eye.

Quote Originally Posted by levkov View Post
    That's one handsome piece. Always been fan of asymmetrical features, such as the big eye here. I also like the 'blue fume' dial, reminds me of that of this vintage JLC 2644's:

Oh my. Liking the Longines but that is something else.