closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tag Gulf Formula One. Talk me out of it.

Blog Entries

Tag Gulf Formula One. Talk me out of it.

So I've been looking at the Tag Gulf Formula One.

I really shouldn't buy one, value will plummet, it's a quartz and I like autos, you don't even get a bracelet with it. Even the look of it, is big yes or big no. But I still keep looking at it.

So go on guys and gals, don't be shy, be brutal and tell me what you think.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    It’s not that expensive. I bet these can be had for about 700?

Just do it. You only live once

Just seen these are a grand on c24. I saw them on sale for 800ish once and presumed the market would be awash with good pre-owned ones for less.
    What do I know ay.

Anyway. Just do it!
    Last edited by Sean89; 7th February 2021 at 02:22.

Master
    I have a tag auto in that case, nice size and a god looking watch, tag strap quality is a bit off on the new ones, I’ve seen this one and the Aston Martin limited edition and on both the strap seemed very average in quality

Other than that if you can get a good deal go for it! It won’t plummet that bad, it’s a gulf model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forget the cost or whether it’s auto or quartz it just looks like a three year old was on the advice design panel .... unless you have a nice orange /white/blue jumper ...

Master
    The last generation F1 Gulf does OK.
    RRP was around £1300, much the same as this one. As you predicted in the thread, second hand values dropped like a stone while it was still available new (I think I sold mine on here for about half price) but these days a good one still brings a solid £800-£1000.

Pay around a thousand quid and enjoy it... just make sure it has the correct GULF branded box if you're buying grey market. There is a UK based one on Chrono24 for £975 which states box and papers but there are no pics of them. I imagine the £975 is open to a bit of a haggle too. It all feels very low risk.

(sorry, that wasn't talking you out of it)

Craftsman
    Have you seen one in the flesh? I usually find this helps when I'm unsure. That Tag is certainly 'Bold'. Maybe you could justify it as a summer watch..... maybe.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Nah. You don't want that. It's awful. These kinds of design may look nice (to some) on first sight, but soon become repulsive, like chewing gum, it's nice and tasty when new but soon gets to the stage where you have to spit it out!

(I hope this helps with your, "talk me out of it" ).
    Last edited by Tiny; 7th February 2021 at 13:07.

Master
    Just think.....you'll have to look at that God-awful colour scheme for the rest of your life and think 'Why the hell did I blow £x00 on that bit of Ugly tat?'

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    So I've been looking at the Tag Gulf Formula One.

I really shouldn't buy one, value will plummet, it's a quartz and I like autos, you don't even get a bracelet with it. Even the look of it, is big yes or big no. But I still keep looking at it.

So go on guys and gals, don't be shy, be brutal and tell me what you think.

Find a used one and if you don’t like it you’ll get most of your money back if you flip it.

Life’s too short to not treat yourself occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Have you seen one in the flesh? I usually find this helps when I'm unsure. That Tag is certainly 'Bold'. Maybe you could justify it as a summer watch..... maybe.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Yes I'm with you on this, not something I'd necessarily wear everyday but as a summer / holiday watch with the benefit of 'grab and go' - why not?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Looks tacky, cheap and nasty.
    Last edited by Steve27752; 7th February 2021 at 11:24.

I'd strongly advise going the pre-owned/grey market route with that one.

Here goes... dont understand those who criticise the colours - the Gulf racing colours are an enduring icon...

On the downside, for some reason Im just not a fan of the brand in general and this one looks like it belongs on a far younger wrist than mine...

Craftsman
    The colour scheme and the busy dial and bezel are too much for me.
    Put it another way just imagine that pile of money sitting in front of you & you’re going to exchange it for the watch

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ghastly waste of money,but I quite like it.

Master
    I like it, but I've always had a soft spot for Gulf Racing colours.

Wouldn't spend a grand on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Looks tacky, cheap and nasty.
    You nailed the tag brand ethos.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the date at 4 is a no no for me, especially on a chronograph which has already got three subdials. Too much!

Master
    I think it’s quite cool but then again I like something that’s different. Get what makes you happy:) sod the people with a pile of watches that all look the same.

Craftsman
    i’d go used so that you don’t take a bath on it later if you decide to move it on otherwise it’s a good looking watch and i’d definitely go for it.

Master
    I think I forgot in my original post I was supposed to put you off

The date window looks awful and it’s quartz, that’s better right?

Apprentice
    Buy a Farer Cresta instead

Blog Entries
    Well some interesting views there peeps, thanks. Must admit I find most of them are pretty accurate.

I think as some said it might be too... ahem.. 'young' looking but I do like the colours and Gulf association. Also the 'buy used' advice is probably sound, but with a decent discount off new might not be so tempting.

Perhaps trying to get to see one and try it on is going to be the wise move, although when we'll be able to do that who knows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcairn01 View Post
    Buy a Farer Cresta instead
    I like the look of the dial and bezel but the case shape puts me off a bit.

Journeyman
    I've always had a thing for Gulf colours and quite like Tag as a brand. Though for some reason, this combination doesn't just work for me. But life's too short - buy it, as others have said, seems fairly low risk, enjoy it, and if you dont then pass it on...

I saw the Gulf Monaco once (in Harrods I think), and quite liked the look of it. This is a fair bit cheaper of course so like other said go for it:P (a few pre-owned ones on Chrono24 for less than 1000, I'm sure there's room on that price as well:P)

It looks like the sort of watch a rich dad buys his spoilt kid to shut him up after he's just lumped a few grand on "proper watch".

Master
    I quite like it I have a similar Tag Monaco thing on a NATO

Here's the best price for the one you want, like the guys have said, buy used, don't get hit too hard.
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/tagheuer/...id17038233.htm

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    It looks like the sort of watch a rich dad buys his spoilt kid to shut him up after he's just lumped a few grand on "proper watch".
    Lol that’s a good one have to remember that

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't know. Never had a rich dad.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 8th February 2021 at 19:22.

I wouldn't know.
    Imagine a stuck up TOWIE girl in a Fiat 500 (the Gucci one) with a smashed iPhone screen holding a chihuahua who calls everyone "babes" and overuses the words "literally, actually, genuinely" then think of her 14 year old brother at home. He has that watch. Jaknowotimean?!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    I quite like it I have a similar Tag Monaco thing on a NATO

Here's the best price for the one you want, like the guys have said, buy used, don't get hit too hard.
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/tagheuer/...id17038233.htm
    Thanks thats a good price, though if I decide to get one I'll probably go to my local Tag shop. They are my local Rolex and Tudor dealer as well and have looked after me lately with other watches.

Blog Entries
    Imagine a stuck up TOWIE girl in a Fiat 500 (the Gucci one) with a smashed iPhone screen holding a chihuahua who calls everyone "babes" and overuses the words "literally, actually, genuinely" then think of her 14 year old brother at home. He has that watch. Jaknowotimean?!
    Errmm no. But thanks for trying to explain. I obviously move in different circles!

Master
    Errmm no. But thanks for trying to explain. I obviously move in different circles!
    The watch is very Joey Essex is what he’s trying to say .. gimp with only a couple of brain cells and bleached teeth

Looks ridiculous and will be worth zero when you come to your senses

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The watch is very Joey Essex is what he’s trying to say .. gimp with only a couple of brain cells and bleached teeth

Ah right, not many of them around here and don't know who 'Joey Essex' is tbh.

I'll watch for it to show up on SC in next month.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Euan Begbie View Post
    Looks ridiculous and will be worth zero when you come to your senses

Ah the joys of owning toys! So often the case, but then I don't buy as an investment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I'll watch for it to show up on SC in next month.
    You're obviously confusing me with someone else old chap.

Craftsman
    Wouldn't normally be mean about a watch someone else wants to buy, but since you specifically want talking out of it...

Come on now, that watch is ugly as sin. It's a big old unit so people's attention is going to be drawn to the fact that you're wearing a collection of blue and orange lego bricks on your wrist. The subdial at the bottom being the wrong size leads to two problems; it forces the date window to 4 instead of the more respectable (but still wrong in my eyes) 4:30, and it that in turn means that the 4 O'Clock marker is stunted compared to 8 O'Clock. Come to think of it, it's only 8, 11 and 1 that are full size so why not make them all the same?

Then they randomly introduce another colour by making the crown and the pushers black? There's no black anywhere else on the watch.

It's strange because I like the Gulf Monaco, but this one has a face only a mother could love. If you're going to get a big mad colourful quartz, why not one of those mad looking Citizen or Bulova's for a third of the price?

Master

Tag Gulf Formula One. Talk me out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Funny thing is.. Towie geezers all love a Rolex ... says it all in this clip .. :) it will go lovely with his white Range Rover and orange friends.. and it’s in stock.

https://youtu.be/28lF32sbg7A

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 8th February 2021 at 21:10.

Blog Entries
    Horrible looking - but if you like it, why not

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    Wouldn't normally be mean about a watch someone else wants to buy, but since you specifically want talking out of it...

Come on now, that watch is ugly as sin. It's a big old unit so people's attention is going to be drawn to the fact that you're wearing a collection of blue and orange lego bricks on your wrist. The subdial at the bottom being the wrong size leads to two problems; it forces the date window to 4 instead of the more respectable (but still wrong in my eyes) 4:30, and it that in turn means that the 4 O'Clock marker is stunted compared to 8 O'Clock. Come to think of it, it's only 8, 11 and 1 that are full size so why not make them all the same?

Then they randomly introduce another colour by making the crown and the pushers black? There's no black anywhere else on the watch.

It's strange because I like the Gulf Monaco, but this one has a face only a mother could love. If you're going to get a big mad colourful quartz, why not one of those mad looking Citizen or Bulova's for a third of the price?
    It's certainly no shrinking violet, but then that's part of the attraction. My other watches are mostly black with a couple of white and silver dials. And all of the inconsistencies you mention are definitely there but none of them jump out at me when I look at it. I suppose they're lost in that blue and orange dream (or nightmare!). I totally get what you say about the Citizens and Bulovas but they just don't do a lot for me at the moment. I have a Bulova which is on loan to my brother at the moment, but haven't seen another I want. Perhaps it's just as well I can't go and try one on at the moment, but time will tell.

Apprentice
    I quite like the Tag Heuer F1 range, I've had a couple in my life time. Its quite colourful and stands out however if you like it I'd say go for it, you'll get a good discount at the AD and its not exactly breaking the bank is it. I prefer the Aston Martin Version myself.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Master Wu View Post
    I quite like the Tag Heuer F1 range, I've had a couple in my life time. Its quite colourful and stands out however if you like it I'd say go for it, you'll get a good discount at the AD and its not exactly breaking the bank is it. I prefer the Aston Martin Version myself.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    This! Even from an AD or similar, it’s hardly expensive.

Master
    I had a Tag F1 Grande Date in the past which I actually really liked. This Gulf version however is abysmal. The spoilt kid/essex prat references are very telling!

Master
    It's not quite my taste but I subscribe to the idea that there's a place in any collection for a fun, colourful, quirky watch that makes you smile when you see it on your wrist. A sort of TGIF watch, so I'd say go for it as it sounds like you'll enjoy it but haggle hard or buy used.

Craftsman
    It's certainly no shrinking violet, but then that's part of the attraction. My other watches are mostly black with a couple of white and silver dials. And all of the inconsistencies you mention are definitely there but none of them jump out at me when I look at it. I suppose they're lost in that blue and orange dream (or nightmare!). I totally get what you say about the Citizens and Bulovas but they just don't do a lot for me at the moment. I have a Bulova which is on loan to my brother at the moment, but haven't seen another I want. Perhaps it's just as well I can't go and try one on at the moment, but time will tell.
    Well, if you like it then it doesn't matter what a stranger on the Internet thinks about it, but you did ask me to talk you out of it... For what it's worth, even though I think it's a stinker, I see people come on here having laid down 5 figures on their grail and I quite often think they're stinkers as well (and no doubt people think the same about some of mine).

My last attempt to steer you away from it though would be to try and find an alternative that scratches the blue and orange itch without laying down that kind of money. There must be an Orient Mako or Seiko 5 or something in those kind of colours? There's loads of mad looking chronographs on Kickstarter if you're looking to have a bit of fun but not lay down that kind of money.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    Well, if you like it then it doesn't matter what a stranger on the Internet thinks about it, but you did ask me to talk you out of it... For what it's worth, even though I think it's a stinker, I see people come on here having laid down 5 figures on their grail and I quite often think they're stinkers as well (and no doubt people think the same about some of mine).

My last attempt to steer you away from it though would be to try and find an alternative that scratches the blue and orange itch without laying down that kind of money. There must be an Orient Mako or Seiko 5 or something in those kind of colours? There's loads of mad looking chronographs on Kickstarter if you're looking to have a bit of fun but not lay down that kind of money.
    I appreciate your views on it, it's what I was looking for, after all we're mostly all watch enthusiasts on here and it's nice to know what others think. I know what you mean about seeing watches you think are 'stinkers' as I do the same, often for pretty silly reasons!

I do look at other makes so might find something else to fill the gap, price isn't so important but I stopped buying watches at the very cheap end mostly. Too easy to accumulate too many watches, leading to them not getting enough use!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I had a Tag F1 Grande Date in the past which I actually really liked. This Gulf version however is abysmal. The spoilt kid/essex prat references are very telling!

One way of looking at it, but I saw it more as the same kind of attitude that labels other watches for 'types' of people. I wouldn't not buy a watch (or anything else for that matter) because I was scared of all that bunkum.