closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cornwall and Devon Walks with Julia Bradbury

Cornwall and Devon Walks with Julia Bradbury

Anyone been watching this? The region looks amazing. I’ve never been as it’s as far away from me as it’s possible to get in England but it has made me want to go for sure, particularly Salcombe.

Master
    Yes, it’s been good, we go down there a couple of times a year and do the coastal paths. Some amazing scenery.

It seems like everyone is trudging around the UK on tv at the moment. Julia, Robson Green, Joanna Lumley

One of the best programmes has been the Monday night one on The Lakes and Yorkshire Dales. Really heartwarming programme

Master
    I’m biased of course but it’s lovely down here. I’ve been watching it and come across some new places to visit. Salcombe is one of the most expensive places to live in the U.K. now.

One of the disadvantages of where I live is that we are so far from cities and airports so travelling takes a while. On the other hand we have amazing scenery and coastal walks. This is the view from the side of my house - in the distance there’s the sea which you can’t quite see in this picture but can be seen sometimes.

Last edited by Devonian; 5th February 2021 at 23:20.

Blog Entries
    Julia Bradbury and you want to talk about walking?????????

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I’m biased of course but it’s lovely down here. I’ve been watching it and come across some new places to visit. Salcombe is one of the most expensive places to live in the U.K. now.

One of the disadvantages of where I live is that we are so far from cities and airports so travelling takes a while. On the other hand we have amazing scenery and coastal walks. This is the view from the side of my house - in the distance there’s the sea which you can’t quite see in this picture but can be seen sometimes.

We go down to the Roseland peninsula (Rosevine/gerrans) 3 times a year. Love that area, always quiet even when rest of cornwall busy

Master
    I grew up as a child in Newton Abbot which is just a few miles from Torquay. As a brief summary, the wages were rubbish due to a low skill economy. Whether you like it or not, the further you get from London, the less prosperous you tend to be.

The traffic in the winter is fine but during the summer, the tourists pinch all the parking places and completely swamp the place out.

The good side is cheap property prices and a more temperate climate. Also the countryside is truly beautiful.

All this was back in the 1960s but my brother who still lives down there moans about chaotic roads and shops that are empty in the winter and stuffed with tourists in the summer.

I stayed near Salcombe in July 2018 and it was too overcrowded for comfort. It was like Venice in the sense that its popularity was killing it.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    particularly Salcombe.
    It is a bit like Chelsea-on-sea for my liking, but I agree a stunning area. We camped around there many times when the kids were young. Beautiful beaches and stunning walks around the headlands of Salcombe and East Portlemouth.

If you like Salcombe you would also also love the area around Helford Passage.

I have stayed in some nice hotels and villas with the family, but some of the best holidays we had were when we were a young family, poor and could only afford to camp in Devon & Cornwall. As a lad from oop north I did not discover the area until I moved darn sarf. It certainly beats Blackpool and Rhyl.

We always timed it with a week of settled summer weather as camping in the rain is not my bag.

I went to Salcombe once. Never again.

Hateful place, populated by upper middle class, second homer, ya yas.

But I’d make an exception if Julia Bradbury wanted to take me on holiday there.

That's a big sky you have there.

This is the view from the side of my house - in the distance there’s the sea which you can’t quite see in this picture but can be seen sometimes.

We have a 20 minute drive to get to the sea unfortunately, however we do have the views of Dartmoor as a consolation.

And today it's looking rather chilly.

WRT Salcombe, we avoid it in the school holidays but otherwise it's a nice enough place to moor the boat.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Hello

Devon and Cornwall are fantastic places to live, I'm from Devon originally and have my family there. Currently stuck working and living in London but as soon as lockdown eases I'll be heading back and working from there as much as possible.

Master
    My Father In Law lives in Kingsbridge, right on the creek, it’s a lovely spot and we enjoy visiting.

Definitely prefer it in the winter months though, the crowds in the summer both in Kingsbridge and at all the local beaches make it less enjoyable, but the beaches and coastal walks are still fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    We have a 20 minute drive to get to the sea unfortunately, however we do have the views of Dartmoor as a consolation.

WRT Salcombe, we avoid it in the school holidays but otherwise it's a nice enough place to moor the boat.

R
    Cracking views.

Craftsman
    cornwall is my favourite place in the uk, i love the programme, some of the landscapes are stunning and i’m hoping to buy a property in cornwall and live there one day

Rather dramatic up here today and no Julia Bradbury in sight :(

Devon is a dreadful place, especially where I live so I'd advise you never to come here but to carry on down to Cornwall where it's much lovelier I'm told. ... Here it's just boats, horrible wet water and a boring old village. Nothing to see here people, just carry on down the A30 .....

Just before the pandemic we spent a week down in East Prawle near Prawle Point. Stunning.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    Devon is a dreadful place, especially where I live so I'd advise you never to come here but to carry on down to Cornwall where it's much lovelier I'm told. ... Here it's just boats, horrible wet water and a boring old village. Nothing to see here people, just carry on down the A30 .....

I spent half my childhood messing around there. My brothers and half my work colleagues live there, as I do to, often in the pubs and restaurants - well I did do when we were allowed :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Julia Bradbury and you want to talk about walking?????????

Pitch
    Il let You down gently but You may be barking up the wrong tree ( according to some stories that are out there)

I spent half my childhood messing around there. My brothers and half my work colleagues live there, as I do to, often in the pubs and restaurants - well I did do when we were allowed :-)
    I'm lucky that I'm still allowed as I live here, I'm loving lockdown, nice and peaceful ... ....

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Il let You down gently but You may be barking up the wrong tree ( according to some stories that are out there)
    Well - nobody's perfect.

Master

Every time I see a pic like this I wonder how on earth did the builders construct the ramp and harbour walls beneath the water line.

Does anyone know how they do it ?

Concrete can be poured and set underwater.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Every time I see a pic like this I wonder how on earth did the builders construct the ramp and harbour walls beneath the water line.

Maybe a cofferdam

Craftsman
    caissons and cofferdams

Master
    Never mind Cornwall, I want to get back to a Greek Island for Spanakopita not a parstee!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfQMZPyESQw

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    We go down to the Roseland peninsula (Rosevine/gerrans) 3 times a year. Love that area, always quiet even when rest of cornwall busy
    Ditto, usually stay in St Mawes. I absolutely love the Roseland. Great for walking and cycling.

Master
    Not many people around on the sand dunes at Crow Point today

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Maybe a cofferdam
    Sheet piled retaining wall can be constructed during high or low tides with a concrete capping beam constructed on top or the piles or a temporary sheet piled wall installed in front of the proposed sea wall to offer protection whilst work is carried out inside of the sheet piles to construct a concrete wall which could be sat on concrete bored piles. Theres a whole host of methods of installation to chose from dependant on access, tides, nearby properties, plant & equipment weight/noise restrictions, pontoons, jackup platforms etc

Master
    All along there quay has been massively extended over the years, just like Bideford further upstream, so it must be relatively easy. I did always wonder that growing up.

Interestingly, the Golden Hinde (not the original of course) was built there in the early 70’s by Hinks boatyard. My great grandad did a lot of the rigging on it and was on Blue Peter. I was about 2 at the time so don’t recall it :-)

Interestingly, the Golden Hinde (not the original of course) was built there in the early 70’s by Hinks boatyard. My great grandad did a lot of the rigging on it and was on Blue Peter. I was about 2 at the time so don’t recall it :-)
    Funnily enough Alan and his wife Audrey were friends of mine, I even worked on some ship and boat surveys with Alan and I exhibited paintings in Audrey's gallery, Gallerie Marin and in her annual exhibitions in the Commodore Hotel over in Instow. Unfortunately Audrey died just a few weeks ago in a local care home leaving just one daughter alive now. They were a fascinating couple and apparently there is some renewed interest here in the UK in the Golden Hinde and an article and podcast is being prepared on it's construction.

Quote Originally Posted by wampa View Post
    Not many people around on the sand dunes at Crow Point today
    I didn't see you wave !

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    It's tidal there and the tide is out for a large proportion of the day, which helps.

Master
    Funnily enough Alan and his wife Audrey were friends of mine, I even worked on some ship and boat surveys with Alan and I exhibited paintings in Audrey's gallery, Gallerie Marin and in her annual exhibitions in the Commodore Hotel over in Instow. Unfortunately Audrey died just a few weeks ago in a local care home leaving just one daughter alive now. They were a fascinating couple and apparently there is some renewed interest here in the UK in the Golden Hinde and an article and podcast is being prepared on it's construction.
    Small world eh. My mum new them well. My great grandad was Oswald Bennett and his brother was Joe who did the rigging on Nonsuch as well as the GH. Grandad was Len Taylor (mum is Sandra) who worked for Reardon Smith for decades. You probably came across some of them as you knew Alan.

Master
    I didn't see you wave !

Hello! :)

I certainly like it down here, although it does get a tad busy in the summer..

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    I thought she lived with her long term partner Gerrard Cunningham and their 2 children......ah I see, you mean she’s already spoken for 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Cornish Bob View Post
    I certainly like it down here, although it does get a tad busy in the summe.
    Nice atmospheric photo there.

R