closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My eyesight or is the second hand mis-aligned very slightly

My eyesight or is the second hand mis-aligned very slightly

One of those things that is trivial but once you’ve seen it you can’t quite ignore it. I think the chrono second counter is ever so slightly ‘off’ to the right. It seems to overlay the right hand index marker? I know it hits the internal bezel marker spot on but there’s a bit of play with these.

http://ABB24D3F-E650-4885-8944-C2EB3F9DEABE by meffiah, on Flickr

Yep, looks off to me.

Not much in it but it's there and as you said once you've seen it....

Yeah the hand looks to be just a touch off but so does the bezel. It does not align with the markers.

Also are the applied markers for 12 straight? It maybe an optical illusion due to the second and the bezel train agile not being central though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar
    Looks like it aligns with the minute hand below and they are both slightly off. Can't you just cock your head to the right until they line up?
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Master
    Wouldn’t concern me, tbh. Only a smidge.

It looks perfectly central when compared to the minute register hand below it, but slightly off compared to the hour marker. The tail is slightly off compared to the hour register hand which would suggest the sweep and minute register are ever so slightly out with relation to the dial. Ever so slightly out!

Minute hand (time, not chronograph) doesn't seem right either.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The chrono hand and 6 subdial hand look misaligned, and is it me or is the dial marker at 6 also off centre?

Master
    It's a basket case lol I'd agree with the comments above, although it's very minor and wouldn't bother me and I'd be happy to wait until it needed a service to correct it. Some vintage chronos are hard to keep centered so a very tiny discrepancy is something you learn to live with.

I know that in ordinary wear, and for most people it would not be noticeable - I’m about the only person who looks closely at my watches. It’s so slight - but thanks for confirming it’s there. Not sure what the issue might be with the minute hand.

Master
    It's nice to know that there are others who get annoyed at such things! Misaligned hands, numberplates that are not on square, brickwork that is uneven (Persimmons comes to mind!). I could go on................ and on!
    :)

I watched a you tube video the other day on how to reset Chrono hands, it was interesting...

Blog Entries
    Could it be a parallax effect? Can you take a series of photos at slightly different angles and compare / post if possible?
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 2nd February 2021 at 16:03.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I watched a you tube video the other day on how to reset Chrono hands, it was interesting...
    Have to smile when I read threads like this, I agree that the chrono hand is fractionally off and so is the minute counter, but I think I could live with it. Refitting chronograph hands is not an easy task, even with experience and the best hand- press it can still take a few goes to get 100% right and its no surprise that we have to settle for 99%!

I’d love to see some of the critics trying to do the job, I’d laugh my socks off watching them struggle.

Fitting new hands adds another degree of complexity, it should be straightforward but in most cases it isn’t. Often, the holes in the hands are fractionally too tight and the hand won’t press on fully. The answer is to very carefully broach them out to fit, a process which requires a very fine tapered broach to inserted and twisted carefully to take a trace of metal (or paint) off.

Yep, any repairer who fails to fit chronograph hands 100% perfectly should be subject to the ultimate scrutiny by his betters......or horsewhipped instead!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 2nd February 2021 at 16:45.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Could it be a parallax effect? Can you take a series of photos at slightly different angles and compare / post if possible?
    I was thinking this , chrono hand at top of hand set and other hand at dial level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I’m guessing the OP has the watch in hand and can see it in real life and has posted a picture which best shows the issue. I’ve posted pictures of misalignments before and someone always says it’s the photo!