closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mondaine: a souvenir from Switzerland!

Apprentice

Mondaine: a souvenir from Switzerland!

Hello,
    this surely ain’t a grail, but I definitively like it, so I’ll share with you. It is known as “the Icon of Swiss Design”: the clock it comes from, that you can still see in every rail station in Switzerland, was created in 1944 by Hans Hilfiker, an engineer of the Federal Swiss Railways. In 1986 Mondaine turned it into a watch collection. If in Switzerland, I think it is really a nice souvenir: inexpensive and with a story to tell.

Times ago I was there and I couldn’t resist from buying one for myself. They even sell it in the ticket offices in almost every station in Switzerland - you may also claim warranty there if necessary. It comes in a nice branded box, with 2 years warranty.

I went for the regular model Swiss Railways Watch Evo big date (ref. A669.30300.11SBB), a quite inexpensive design steel watch with quartz movement. It has a 35 mm. case, white dial and a pleasant red second hand. Date at 3 o’clock. On the dial you can read the brand MONDAINE and the official SBB CFF FFS logo (standing for Swiss Railways in German, French and Italian, the main languages in the Confederation). The curved mineral glass improves greatly the general look of the watch.

The same brand and logo is engraved on the back of the case, together with some quick info.

It comes with a fine 18mm. black lather strap, with Mondaine brand on the buckle. It lays flat on the wrist, looking very elegant to me. You wouldn’t say how many people asked me about this watch, that revealed also to be a nice subject of discussion - you know: Switzerland, punctuality, trains, watches… and so on. :)

The quartz movement works fine. It is a Swiss Ronda cal.509. Mine goes +1 second per month. Of course quartz is accurate, but others I have are far away from such a result. The date movement is quite unusual: it has 2 wheels, tens and units, so that at each new month you have to quick set the date from 31 over to 39 to 01.

In conclusion, this is not a stunning watch, of course – I know that if you are in Switzerland, you’ll look for some named brand. But still this may be a nice idea for yourself, or for a gift of yours representing both this country and your passion for watches! I also recommend the ladies size, it’s lovely!

Hey, after showing you a souvenir, I had to close with a postcard!
    Cheers!
    Pkdiver

PS
    I'm a newbie: I hope this post is ok in 'watch talk' section.

Re: Mondaine: a souvenir from Switzerland!

Nothing wrong with that at all, nice clean design!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman

Simply nice watch. I also have an automatic one which runs so strong and keeps good time :)

Jim.

A very nice review. Thanks for sharing! And I rather like that... knowing me, I'd probably plunk down my hard earned for one in Switzerland too.

Craftsman

Oh by the way, the only problem with the 'Big date' is that at the end of the month you have to change the date from '30' (or '31') to '32', '33', '34',....'39', '00' and then '01'. It's because the date wheels are made from 2 discs which make a display of 2 big digits possible.

Master

I like it, very nice and clean dial.

double date window is very nice but I wish it was auto!

Hi,

I was staring at the window display of Austin Kaye on the Strand yesterday, they have the full range of these. You wouldn't believe how many variations there are on the same basic design.

Very nice. I have often had a hankering for one of those.

Grand Master

Mmm...automatic would be nice too.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

I do like the simple clean design but I know I wouldn't wear it much, quartz or auto :?
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Grand Master

Seen them several times when been out in Switzerland on business, I like them, but (probably) would not wear one - but I don't know why! Nevertheless congrats.
    /vince ..

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    I was staring at the window display of Austin Kaye on the Strand yesterday, they have the full range of these. You wouldn't believe how many variations there are on the same basic design.
    So was I last Wednesday. :)

I've always liked them.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by js
    Oh by the way, the only problem with the 'Big date' is that at the end of the month you have to change the date from '30' (or '31') to '32', '33', '34',....'39', '00' and then '01'. It's because the date wheels are made from 2 discs which make a display of 2 big digits possible.
    You're right, this was pointed out also in my review. It's not that disturbing to me. Another characteristic they claim for this Ronda movement, is that when the crown is pulled out, it saves up to 70 % energy. Don't know hot to verify this... or if it is actually usual for any quartz watch....

cheers!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by pkdiver
    You're right, this was pointed out also in my review. It's not that disturbing to me. Another characteristic they claim for this Ronda movement, is that when the crown is pulled out, it saves up to 70 % energy. Don't know hot to verify this... or if it is actually usual for any quartz watch....

cheers!
    oopsss I must have missed it.

Cheers,
    Jim.

Does the second hand 'pause' at the 12 position like the railway clocks?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    Ahh, very good question! :thumbright: Unfortunately no! That would be great! For who doesn't know swiss rail-stations: on the platforms clocks there's a smooth second hand that pauses at 12 o'clock, and then the minute hand moves to the next index. But on the wirst watch it's just a regular quartz movement.

Master

I like that watch - good design. It will always work and I would probably buy one too.

:) :)

Brian

Craftsman

Some selected wristwatch models have 'Stop-to-go' feature, very cool :)

see http://www.mondaine.ch/

Craftsman

Hi, love the design and for a 'white face' I would consider getting one - would love one of the clocks for my office wall too.

Cliff

Journeyman

Spooky, I've been neglecting my black day date version recently
    Strapped it on on tuesday night and still wearing it now

Andy

I've not seen these before - good Bauhaus design - nothing wrong with a platform clock on your wrist :) (except the red blob on the seconds maybe).

So are they a bargain :?:

Very elegant, always wanted to go to Switzerland. Would love an auto version :drunken:

Apprentice

Thanks everybody for comments and interest!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    I do like the simple clean design but I know I wouldn't wear it much, quartz or auto :?
    Well, I'm not wearing it so much neither. Still I'm happy I bought it, considering it costs the same as a Swatch, more or less. Sometimes I just wake up, see it, and decide to wear it for a couple of days!

Some selected wristwatch models have 'Stop-to-go' feature, very cool :)
    see http://www.mondaine.ch/
    I couldn't find a model with that feature on their website... but read in a forum it is discontinued, not sure it's true anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel
    Very elegant, always wanted to go to Switzerland. Would love an auto version :drunken:
    From their website, here's auto specs:

It could be a good idea, nevertheless for this plain and simple watch quartz is a coherent dimension as well.

cheers!

Master

I bought my dad one of those for Christmas. He's got an oldish quartz Seamaster of some sort but was finding it a bit difficult to see (he's 78).

He selected it for legibility alone and is pleased. He did freak out a bit when the date changed to 32!

Nice watches though.