Thread: Log Burner fan

Craftsman

Log Burner fan

As per the title. A couple of questions please

1) Are these worthwhile
    2) If so any recommendations please and is it worth spending more on one

TIA

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Yes, in my experience they are worth it. The heat gets moved around the room and it has made a difference.

Ours came from Amazon a few years ago, it wasn’t expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to get one but this has put me off.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...on-study-finds

Master
    Brother has one and swears by it. Cheapest one in Argos he has

I think they are worthwhile but I also think it depends on the surroundings. My wood burner is recessed into a chimney area built on the outside of a converted barn and the fan made a huge difference to the dispersal of the hot air and evened out the temperature in the living room. My sister has a far larger inglenook fireplace and she finds it makes little difference, if any

If the space above the woodburner is limited ensure that whatever you buy will fit in the space. Also buy one with matt black blade; I initially had a nickel blade that caught the light and was very distracting. I bought an EcoFan and it's been perfect for 8 years now.

Master
    I have one (Von hause) and I think as others have said it propels the hot air into the room

A couple of family members have them,and really like them ,but they get free timber .
    If you have to purchase timber it’s probably not that cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Yes I would say so, great for pushing heat around. Here’s ours doing it’s thing now:

We tried one and found no noticeable difference.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Log Burner fan

Yes from me as well. Does make a difference in my opinion and we use our burner regularly.

Mine was less than £30 from Amazon.

http://VonHaus 4 Blade Stove Fan – H...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Yes I would say so, great for pushing heat around. Here’s ours doing it’s thing now:

That’s the one we have works well and definitely gets more hot air into the room imo

Yes, they work well, point into cold areas of room and it’s great

Log Burner fan

Deleted as I misread the thread and my reply wouldn’t have helped

Soz

D
    Last edited by helidoc; 3rd January 2021 at 20:05.

Master
    Yes, we have one from Von Haus and it does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Doubt it will make things worse, maybe stop it when burner door opened.

My Father had one of these (or very similar) https://www.stirlingengine.co.uk/d.a...uct=VULCANMINI. Unlike most is powered by a Stirling engine (rather than thermoelectric powered motor) and fascinating to watch.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 3rd January 2021 at 21:26.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Same. Not worth it IMO.

We've got one of them on each of our log burners and they do make a difference, it's notable if you remove them.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

i've played with them a lot, have destroyed so many, we'll get onto that

firstly if you have a log burner out of a chimney breast you don't need it, the log burner will heat and set up convection currents you are only messing them up, hot air circumaltes

if you have a log burner in a chimney breast with lost of space round it, ie about twice the height of the fan, then this is an option as the log burner won't work like either of the above or below

if you have a log burner with about the height of the fan, then no. When the log burner is that close to the edge of the fireplace the fans get too hot and burn out, the log burner is trying to act like a fire and heat up th fire surround which will radiate the heat. They did get the hang of fires a cast siron fireplace, the whole cast iron heats up acting as a radiator, metal fire shields meant the infa red coming off the fire didn't get the person too hot but heated the meta which heated the air

i've got the numerous nurnt out ones and replaced the electric motor and am playing with just connecting them to a dc supply that way you can turn on the fans as you want them and so much faster then the normal version which onlt produce around 1.5v and the motors will take 6, 4 fan at high speed sounds like a lancaster

I think some people have misunderstood the OP's question. He already has a log burner, and wanted to know if the free standing heat distribution fans that can be placed on top of the stove are any good.

Blog Entries
    Quick reply have a log burner in chimney breast with fan and IMO it does make a difference mine came from Amazon for around the £20.00 mark.

I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Hi, If you have a wood burner then getting a fan is a good idea, we have one and as others say, point into a cold spot and it certainly works.

In regards to that Guardian article. Wow burning things causes pollution, I’m amazed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    Hi, If you have a wood burner then getting a fan is a good idea, we have one and as others say, point into a cold spot and it certainly works.

In regards to that Guardian article. Wow burning things causes pollution, I’m amazed.
    It's all relative, for someone who experienced open fires fuelled on nutty slack in his childhood our log burners output now feels like fresh air.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Apparently many people were amazed, so it’s good that research like this is highlighting the risk. Life is all about managing risks. If you want to expose yourself and your family to harmful levels of particulate pollution inside your home you are free to do so. I’ll give it a miss personally as I don’t think the risk is worth it.

Master
    I’ve tried a variety of fans, but found as we have a textured stove, the contact points from the base of the fan cause a slight vibration which is loud enough to be an annoyance & hence returned.

However as per above they certainly help move the warmth about. I had the dream of somehow sharing more of the heat with the rest of the house, but failed.

Blog Entries
    I'm reading this with a lot of interest: I'm 'in the market' for a lug burner myself (for my workshop). The Sterling engine is an interesting machine! I would consider buying one simply for the reason that it's a brilliant 'conversation piece' in a workshop or man cave!

M