closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Luminor Marina 44mm or any Panerai.

Luminor Marina 44mm or any Panerai.

Mainly due to the current Rolex situation with having to jump through hoops to be even considered for one I’ve been looking at all sorts over the past few months. A few years back I walked away from a PO 600M which i found awfully uncomfortable due to the size of the pushers, even the slightest of wrist movement left dents in my hand which became uncomfortable only after 10 minutes on. I’ve always liked Panerai but have had this doubt about the size of the crown guard.
    I guess the question goes out to most Panerai owners but how do you find the crown, was the size of it something you got used to or was it never a problem?
    Im due to head off to Malorys tomorrow to try one on but thought I’d ask the question to the guys who’ve been wearing them.
    FFF

The crown guard has never bothered me. Just get a nice fit with the strap and it will be comfortable.

I've worn mine (312) for the whole of lockdown and not swapped it at all. It feels completely normal, however, I know that when I haven't worn it for a while it can feel heavy. If you're used to bit watched on a bracelet this won't bother you, but when I swap after w week with a g-shock it surprises me.

The way I type and lay my forearms on the desk means that the buckle is more of a problem, but that's every watch...

Get a Radiomir and don't worry about the stupid carbuncle on the side.

Perhaps some will disagree with me, but when the Luminor is out of fashion, the Radiomir will still look good.

Master
    The crown guard has never been an issue for me, in fact they are some of the most comfortable watches i have.

I find in 44mm the Bettarini case more comfortable than the 1950's case. However the 1950's 47mm case is just a great fit, and none of them a problem with the crown guard.

Wire lugged 45mm Rad is a gem to wear.
    Last edited by Nev; 30th December 2020 at 01:24.

I own a 372 and a rad 753 ,both comfortable watches to me

I currently have a 44mm Luminor with the newer 1950’s case. The crown guard isn’t a problem at all.

I’ve also got a 45mm Radiomir 3 day manual. The crown will catch the back of my hand occasionally if I cock my hand back at an acute angle.

Previously owned a 45mm Radiomir auto which had a thicker case. Same issue as above.

I’ve also had a 47mm Radiomir 3 day manual which use to dig in the back of my hand a lot more than the 45mm. It’s the one Panerai that I’ve owned that I found uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Had a 44mm luminor with the standard case design and no issues with the crown guard.

I do wear my watches fitted as I don’t like them loose and moving about on my wrist. Some of that is down to size and weight. If it helps I have a 7” wrist diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Try a 42mm 1950 case. I found the 44mm too big, although the guard was not the main issue. It was the pebble-like height and top- heavy feel of the 44mm.

Maybe not a “purist” choice but I wear mine more due to it being so much more comfortable.

Cheers for the replies
    FFF

Before I bought my first Panerai, I was unsure too.
    Bought a cheap homage off SC, and realised that all was good.
    Flipped it back on SC and bought the real thing

Never had an issue TBH mate.

My current |(243 Sub).

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Thanks for the further replies- just tried on the PAM1028 42mm and prob one of the most comfortable watches I’ve ever put on.
    Who needs a bloody Rolex anyway

Master
    Never had any issues whatsoever with Panerai crown guards on previously owned 2x00000, 00312 and currently owned 00352 and a 47mm 00389.

No discomfort at all.

Master
    To echo the above, I have owned luminor cased PAMs from 40 through 47mm and never had any discomfort in any of them. Bettarini cases in 40 and 44mm and 1950 cases in 44 and 47mm.
    Also tried the 42mm sub in Laings a few years ago and it was nice but felt a little small to me.
    Deffo go for it, imho Panerai have a unique "character" like no other.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ve had a 40mm and just bought a 44mm. I actually prefer the 40 mm size and find this one very marmite.
    I keep puting it in a drawer then trying it on again but I think it will be flipped for something else.

I’ve had a number of 44mm and 40mm luminors - both left and right handed versions of the 44mm and never a single issue with comfort. I actually found the 44mm a much better fit, somehow the proportions of the 40mm models never looked quite right to me?

Journeyman
    Another vote for the ‘not a problem’ team. I’ve got a 44mm Bettarini case model (a 177) and despite it being the biggest watch I’ve ever owned, it’s bizarrely also the most comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I wear my watch on the right wrist and have 4 destros as they’re so comfortable,I do have several standard pams and I can comfortably wear it on the left as well

I find the crown of radiomirs to be worse as they can bite and scratch the back of the hand if worn on the left

Master
    My 44mm 005 on a 7-1/2" wrist

With a fully flexed hand it barely hits the crown guard and even then I would never flex my hand this far

The case is very slim and hardly noticeable on the wrist my Skyland Avenger is a much more substantial watch in comparison albeit 45mm but much taller and am very aware of it when wearing it if this fell off due to a broken strap or screw bar I would never notice. I have never tried a 47mm Panerai so can't comment on wearability.

Or you could buy a left hand crown model, and wear it the left wrist - no digging into at all then.
    It's just a matter of time...