closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return to Rolex

Return to Rolex

I've owned a couple in my time and finally sold the last one (GMT Master) when a bloke standing next to me on a train buffet car (nasty suit, those very long pointy shoes which have never seen a shoe tree so curl up at the end like elf's slippers) pointed at it and asked "'Ere, mate, is that real then?" I knew it had to go. The problem with them for me has always been that because of the density of twats to Rolex ownership (i.e. 70% of Audi owners in a golf club bar) you always look like you're wearing it to send messages to other people, rather than because you love it. I get that the problem is probably me, but it's the same reason I sold my Harley Softail back in the day.
    Anyway, I have a nagging urge to get another one and try again. Not in the Submariner/Milgauss financial bracket, but maybe another GMT or even an Air King, which I think I'm alone in liking.
    Anyone else been through this nonsense or am I weird?

The GMT is probably above the submariner/Milgauss pricewise but the modern Air King is a good shout along with the Explorer or Oyster Perpetual (but not the latest colours).

A Datejust might also be a good shout.

Two Air-King-as-a-potential-purchase threads in a day, this forum is going down the shi**er.

Other thing in consideration is an Omega Railmaster (one of the new ones). Had a few Seamasters back in the day, including four very old ones I bought from under the counter in a carpet shop in Chicken Street, Kabul, in very early 2002 whilst...working. They all got nicked in a burglary some years later. Had a nice Speedy since but also sold. So maybe another Rolex or perhaps a Railmaster is probably where it's at, but I worry I'll just end up back in the same place, i.e. not likeing the attention generated.
    Last edited by FrontierGibberish; 21st December 2020 at 18:34.

Return to Rolex

I have a related problem with my Rolex; I can’t really wear it in London, as I find I cannot relax amongst the large number of potential ne’er do wells as do inhabit even (especially?) the decent parts of town. It’s a pity for me, as they’re (largely) where my interest lies.

I have resorted to an Apple Watch for town, and wearing my Rolex where I live.

The extent to which they have become the definitive luxury watch is a burden in many ways (theft, other people’s assumptions, waiting lists, etc.)

If you were not comfortable then, will it be different now? I suppose an Air King would be less recognisable.

The trouble is, there’s usually a problem of some sort or another with everything else. Speedmasters and water resistance, for instance.

A shame, perhaps when I get the money for one, I’ll trade my Sub for a Fifty Fathoms Mil-Spec - which is the only thing that springs to mind as a suitable replacement. Even that has a questionable bracelet!

Shoe trees, though... who can be bothered?!
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 21st December 2020 at 18:53.

Blog Entries
    I’m too old to care what others think of me or what I wear. I don’t think anyone really cares what watch you wear since they can’t (or shouldn’t) get closer than 2m away.

I can’t believe I’m commenting on another Rolex thread!!

you will never get away from the " is that a Rolex ? " comments from people.

same if you have a sports car, you will always get " does it go fast ? "

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    I have a related problem with my Rolex; I can’t really wear it in London, as I find I cannot relax amongst the large number of potential ne’er do wells as do inhabit even (especially?) the decent parts of town. It’s a pity for me, as they’re (largely) where my interest lies.

I have resorted to an Apple Watch for town, and wearing my Rolex where I live.

The extent to which they have become the definitive luxury watch is a burden in many ways (theft, other people’s assumptions, waiting lists, etc.)

If you were not comfortable then, will it be different now? I suppose an Air King would be less recognisable.

The trouble is, there’s usually a problem of some sort or another with everything else. Speedmasters and water resistance, for instance.

A shame, perhaps when I get the money for one, I’ll trade my Sub for a Fifty Fathoms Mil-Spec - which is the only thing that springs to mind as a suitable replacement. Even that has a questionable bracelet!

Exactly my thinking. Sold a ceramic GMT as I didn't think it was me. I bought three Sinn with some of the proceedsI have a 116610LN which lives in the safe. I thought of trading that for a BP FF, but fear it might be too big...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Shoe trees, like tea cosies, are the pillars on which a civilised society is built.

Return to Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Exactly my thinking. Sold a ceramic GMT as I didn't think it was me. I bought three Sinn with some of the proceedsI have a 116610LN which lives in the safe. I thought of trading that for a BP FF, but fear it might be too big...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I meant the annoyingly limited edition 40mm one!

I loathe people who can’t mind their own business. A fellow enthusiast striking up a discreet conversation is one thing, but the ‘bet that cost a packet’ brigade can bog off! Maybe it doesn’t bother some, but makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Shoe trees, like tea cosies, are the pillars on which a civilised society is built.
    Do you floss too?

Master
    I've owned a couple in my time and finally sold the last one (GMT Master) when a bloke standing next to me on a train buffet car (nasty suit, those very long pointy shoes which have never seen a shoe tree so curl up at the end like elf's slippers) pointed at it and asked "'Ere, mate, is that real then?" I knew it had to go. The problem with them for me has always been that because of the density of twats to Rolex ownership (i.e. 70% of Audi owners in a golf club bar) you always look like you're wearing it to send messages to other people, rather than because you love it. I get that the problem is probably me, but it's the same reason I sold my Harley Softail back in the day.
    Anyway, I have a nagging urge to get another one and try again. Not in the Submariner/Milgauss financial bracket, but maybe another GMT or even an Air King, which I think I'm alone in liking.
    Anyone else been through this nonsense or am I weird?
    Make your own decision. Asking here will only bring out the effwits.

If you want a ‘discreet’ Rolex, try the Explorer. There are however plenty of other good watches out there that won’t be as well known. Finding one that suits you is part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    If you want a ‘discreet’ Rolex, try the Explorer. There are however plenty of other good watches out there that won’t be as well known. Finding one that suits you is part of the fun.
    I had one for a while and really liked it. You're right, it was a little more subtle than most.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you floss too?
    Only between my toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Two Air-King-as-a-potential-purchase threads in a day, this forum is going down the shi**er.
    Covid affects the sense of taste.

I have to say the message I send to others with my watch is something I've never thought about (and won't again after this post). If you're concerned about safety wearing a Rolex, maybe consider its less recognised sibling, Tudor (especially the P01 as no-one would want it anyway!).
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 22nd December 2020 at 09:01. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    It's literally just me that quite likes them. I offer no mitigation; guilty as charged.

Get an Air King and put it on a rubber b. Flies under the radar & destined to become a future classic.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    Get an Air King and put it on a rubber b. Flies under the radar & destined to become a future classic.
    Looks better than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Looks better than expected.
    Really does.

Have you considered the 38mm black or white Aqua Terras? I think these are fantastic watches, great movement too. A better size than the Railmaster I think which wears quite big and is thick, sporty/dressy but a pretty classic, under the radar design that probably wouldn’t garner any attention other than from those in the know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good shout but not quite my cuppa. However I’ve just seen something joyous that might work...off to do man maths.

Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    God no. Explorer

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I have a lovely 1981 Air Kind Date which has never had a single comment and is a joy to wear, if a tad small for most at 34mm. My point being I suppose is that there are models that just go unnoticed and are just as enjoyable. The only drawbacks are I can't swim with it and it doesn't have a quickset date.

I'k always bemused by these threads. I've never had anyone comment on any of my Rolexes, let alone ask if they're real; nor do I know anyone who's been asked the question.

Too many people worry far too much about what other people think.

The OP and post #13 might want a little editing, this being a public area.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'k always bemused by these threads. I've never had anyone comment on any of my Rolexes, let alone ask if they're real; nor do I know anyone who's been asked the question.

This.
    Or be Mr Grey, scared someone might notice you have something nice. Mostly they actually won’t.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I was buying a coffee on Eastbourne seafront a few years ago and the guy next in line noticed and spoke to me about my Seadweller.

He didn’t ask if it was real though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    I have a lovely 1981 Air Kind Date which has never had a single comment and is a joy to wear, if a tad small for most at 34mm. My point being I suppose is that there are models that just go unnoticed and are just as enjoyable. The only drawbacks are I can't swim with it and it doesn't have a quickset date.
    Most people (non WIS) won’t notice what you wear (with a few exceptions like YG Sub or PP Nautilus)
    As much as I’d like to own either I like to think I’m understated in what I wear. It would end up in the safe

I have a few times. Depends on your environment and which Rolex it is. The Explorer and Explorer II, never. Sub ND only once. BLNR a few times...

Return to Rolex

It’s not so much as to what others to think (though there’s some of that), but as to what others are willing to bash you over the head for.

It’s a serious problem in many European cities, and in other places I’m sure.

Some like to convince themselves that ‘no one notices’, but there are ‘professional’ criminals who would notice an Oyster bracelet from space, work in teams, and are sometimes really quite violent. I believe Mike Wood of this and other parishes unfortunately suffered such a thing only this year? With Instagram they now know what ‘everything’ looks like, and with the internet they now know what ‘everything’ is worth. The massive increase in price of numerous popular watches cannot help matters.

Bear in mind this is not taking place in the worst parts of East London, but in the West End etc.

London’s otherwise pretty safe, and there are various reasons I cannot and do not wish to avoid it, but I can’t relax there whilst wearing a Rolex. Maybe some really obscure stuff like an Explorer 1655.

Sadly, it takes some of the shine off the hobby (Rolex is my main interest). Maybe I should find other brands for the time being.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 23rd December 2020 at 08:57.

A Datejust will fly under the radar....

I bought myself an Explorer 2 eight years ago because a) I liked it and b) it wasn't a Sub or GMT and didn't attract attention (and it still doesn't). I do, however, also have a Grand Seiko no one ever notices, and wear that when I'm in London. I used to wear my Omega Marine Chronometer on the basis it's very ugly and no one in their right mind would try to steal it but stupidly I sold it.
    "A man of little significance"

Turned out it wasn’t a return to Rolex but a return to Omega and it will deffo not excite the pointy shoes brigade - I bought a Railmaster 60th Anniversary over in SC. Should fly under the radar of 99% of golfists and Audi RS drivers.

Master
    It’s good that you purchased a rail master they are lovely watches; however if you purchased it partly to fly under the radar. I think those days have sailed. I am in the army and wear all my watches here and abroad on deployments and exercises. If anyone asks me and I have had a few; I just say what do you think? Some blush and say embarrassingly I am not sure to which I reply nor I. The ones who are watch collectors start talking about watches and I have had a good batter over watches and had made the deployment or exercise interesting as when ever I have bumped into them again we have spoken watches.

As for London I was born and raised there and I was mugged for a Casio calculator which I was heart broken as I had saved up my pocket money for it. However in my young adult days never had an issue or been worried and to this day still will wear what ever I want where ever I want.

Master
    It’s been about 8-9 years since I was heavily into watches and I had at one point a DSSD purchased brand new from AD for £5600, I also purchased a new 39mm explorer and a sub date, both from AD and they were readily available and relatively affordable, especially considering a Rolex is a solid investment and you know you will never be stuck with it and can sell it easily enough and recoup your money back.
    Seems now you are lucky to walk in and get anything and if you do the prices are ridiculous!
    They just are not worth the money in my opinion.

It’s not so much as to what others to think (though there’s some of that), but as to what others are willing to bash you over the head for.

It’s a serious problem in many European cities, and in other places I’m sure.

Some like to convince themselves that ‘no one notices’, but there are ‘professional’ criminals who would notice an Oyster bracelet from space, work in teams, and are sometimes really quite violent. I believe Mike Wood of this and other parishes unfortunately suffered such a thing only this year? With Instagram they now know what ‘everything’ looks like, and with the internet they now know what ‘everything’ is worth. The massive increase in price of numerous popular watches cannot help matters.

Bear in mind this is not taking place in the worst parts of East London, but in the West End etc.

London’s otherwise pretty safe, and there are various reasons I cannot and do not wish to avoid it, but I can’t relax there whilst wearing a Rolex. Maybe some really obscure stuff like an Explorer 1655.

Sadly, it takes some of the shine off the hobby (Rolex is my main interest). Maybe I should find other brands for the time being.
    Got you. I do occasionally mentally acknowledge this particular risk, but that's tends to be when I'm already out somewhere and I just make sure that my watch is under my sleeve. It's a fair point, though.

Apprentice
    My daily is an OP39 Red Grape and I never get comments. However, I did have a lengthy discussion with a car salesman once who picked up on the old Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve that he'd spotted I was wearing. I'd swapped out the Rolex as I didn't want to give the car dealer the impression I had any money to spend :)

Turned out it wasn’t a return to Rolex but a return to Omega and it will deffo not excite the pointy shoes brigade - I bought a Railmaster 60th Anniversary over in SC. Should fly under the radar of 99% of golfists and Audi RS drivers.

Great choice, congratulations! That was a really good price for a wonderful watch (surprised it hung around so long), I would take that over any Rolex model personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Great choice, congratulations! That was a really good price for a wonderful watch (surprised it hung around so long), I would take that over any Rolex model personally.
    Thanks Tetlee. Am delighted and think it’s the right choice!

Lovely watch but a miserably defensive comment:-)

Master
    So Rolex wearers drive Audis, play golf and have ‘pointy shoes.’ I’l keep my eye open...I expect the pointy
    shoes are brown.
    Any other useful tips?

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    So Rolex wearers drive Audis, play golf and have ‘pointy shoes.’ I’l keep my eye open...I expect the pointy
    shoes are brown.
    Any other useful tips?
    To be fair to the OP, the reference to "pointy shoes" comes from earlier in the thread and wasn't a slight at the Rolex wearer who referenced it.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    To be fair to the OP, the reference to "pointy shoes" comes from earlier in the thread and wasn't a slight at the Rolex wearer who referenced it.
    Exactly. They do play golf and drive Audis though. ;-)

Strange in some ways to avoid owning something you genuinely like because others have an opinion on it, I rarely receive any comments on my watches, if I did have such a comment as the OP it wouldn't in the slightest doubt my thoughts.

I own it because I like it and thats all that matters really with material items..

Exactly. They do play golf and drive Audis though. ;-)

Uhm, if you say so.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Strange in some ways to avoid owning something you genuinely like because others have an opinion on it, I rarely receive any comments on my watches, if I did have such a comment as the OP it wouldn't in the slightest doubt my thoughts.

I own it because I like it and thats all that matters really with material items..
    This. 100%.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    you will never get away from the " is that a Rolex ? " comments from people.

same if you have a sports car, you will always get " does it go fast ? "
    Not if it’s an Aston .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

I own it because I like it and that's all that matters really with material items..
    I complement people such as my GP, neighbor etc on their watches regardless what they wear. To each their own.
    Wouldn't do this with a stranger- when I saw someone with a RG RO- I held off in case they thought I was going to swipe it from them!
    It was absolutely stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Lovely watch but a miserably defensive comment:-)
    Agree with this on both counts.

Buy what makes you happy and you’re comfortable wearing.
    I’ve met more dickheads in life that aren’t wearing Rolex or driving RS’s...never frequented a golf pitch so can’t comment on that.