closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Most user friendly video calling app?

Most user friendly video calling app?

Hi all

In a probably vain attempt to get my wife's frankly useless dad and step mum to start to engage a bit more with her and the kids (they are 250 miles away), her bright idea was to buy them an amazon tablet for Christmas so we can do video calls to them (they don't have smart phones).

It's my job to set it up for them before we send it tomorrow. Not sure if the app or settings/contacts will stay once I delete my account from it, but I'll have a go.

So, I need a suggestion of the easiest video chat app to set it up with, then put the same on the wife n kids phones. As it's not a phone, whatapp, which we all currently use, is out, so what other app is easiest to use for kids and technophobe 60somethings? Skype, zoom, teams, something else?

Cheers

FaceTime.

Edit: Not on an Amazon tablet though, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    FaceTime.

Edit: Not on an Amazon tablet though, sadly.
    Nor on our android phones, sorry, should have said that, we are an apple free house

Master
    What’s App, the technophobe doesn’t need to do anything except answer th3 call, presuming what’s app installed.

Facebook messenger is extremely simple, even for me and I'm a dunce apparently. If they don't have a Facebook account that will have to be set up first of course, but very easy after that.

Pretty sure they don't have Facebook accounts, could set them one up, but the kids don't have Facebook either.
    WhatsApp can only be on a phone can't it? It needs a phone number?

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Pretty sure they don't have Facebook accounts, could set them one up, but the kids don't have Facebook either.
    WhatsApp can only be on a phone can't it? It needs a phone number?
    Easy to set up for your parents, but yeah, I guess Facebook is old hat for kids now.

Nor on our android phones, sorry, should have said that, we are an apple free house
    Google duo then or WhatsApp. Google Duo prob easier

Edit: I think you're SOL with the Amazon Tablet I think and might need to consider something else. Cheap iPad or Chromebook / Android Tablet. You can have Google Duo on iOS and Apple is the easiest for older people.

Can the Amazon Tablet handle Teams?
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 20th December 2020 at 16:52.

Master
    I think the Amazon stuff needs to work with a mobile phone. You can then use either the Alexa app to make a call (you need to put it on your phone) or Skype. From my limited research the tablets & Echo Show devices don't make calls directly - they work with a phone.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/amazon-...view-4533.html
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=14072704031

Zoom is hard to beat just email them a link

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Facebook messenger is extremely simple, even for me and I'm a dunce apparently. If they don't have a Facebook account that will have to be set up first of course, but very easy after that.
    This! You could set up an account for then even if not going into details with name etc

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Zoom is hard to beat just email them a link
    Depends whether they use email?!

Google Duo,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

SydR
    As others have said android and a tablet rule out a number of options.

You could set up a free Teams account, meetings limited to 60 minutes*, or a free Zoom account, meetings limited to 40 minute. Both are straight forward to use.

*These are way to get a free ‘business’ Teams account without the limitations but a. it is not as straight forward and b. A time limit is the best excuse to hang up on in-laws.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Google Meet.

Simples

Sent from my OnePlus Nord using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    As others have said android and a tablet rule out a number of options.

You could set up a free Teams account, meetings limited to 60 minutes*, or a free Zoom account, meetings limited to 40 minute. Both are straight forward to use.

*These are way to get a free ‘business’ Teams account without the limitations but a. it is not as straight forward and b. A time limit is the best excuse to hang up on in-laws.
    I did read Zoom have removed the limited time restriction over the Christmas period, no idea when it comes back into force though.

WhTs app - they just answer it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I think as others have said if you want an easy to use solution then maybe an amazon tablet isnt the best.

Id take a look at the facebook portal devices. For the price i think they would work well and will your parents would need a facebook account, you could set it up via PC, they never have to use it and as far as i know it doesnt need a linked phone number and even if it does it doesnt need the app on their phones so can just be their nonsmart mobile number.
    10 inch screen version is on sale at the moment on Amazon

Im sure the kids can handle using facebook to call the grandparents even if its not the app they use nowdays.

Isn't the simple answer - just use the built-in alexa app on the tablet to call them and install it on a phone, table PC you have?

Master
    Yeah as said I would have thought just use Alexa. Though might have been easier with an Echo Show of some kind

Master
    Taking this back to basics, do they actually have broadband?

Understanding what they do have gives a bit more scope for others to advise on best options, in terms of them having broadband, existing pc's, email, facebook accounts, etc.

Cheers all

Yes they have t'internet, just no smartphones or Facebook.

Had a trial of the alexa app and it video called the wifes and my phone fine. Had to install the app on the kids phones first, and it worked for them too.

Hopefully all sorted, let's see if this actually leads to them being @rsed to call occasionally.

Master
    Cheers all

Yes they have t'internet, just no smartphones or Facebook.

Had a trial of the alexa app and it video called the wifes and my phone fine. Had to install the app on the kids phones first, and it worked for them too.

Hopefully all sorted, let's see if this actually leads to them being @rsed to call occasionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Yeah as said I would have thought just use Alexa. Though might have been easier with an Echo Show of some kind
    I'm pretty sure you need a mobile phone number to work with a Fire Tablet or an Alexa Show. I don't think Alexa calling works without one.

I've got a related questions on video calling.

Does anyone know of an app that will cast from a phone onto a smart TV in landscape?

Both WhatsApp and Duo windows remain in portrait on TV when phone rotated to landscape.