closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Acquisition of 2020?

Damn all these pictures of Monaco’s are seriously making me think about trading in my Panerai for one. No acquisition this year for me. A few possible for next.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Great thread and very cools stuff you're showing, gents!

My favourite must be the one I've been wearing the most and am wearing now:

but only by a hair over my PRS-29AM.

Aquastar Deepstar inspite of several far pricier purchases.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Moonphase Speedmaster with Aventurine dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought the Mil-Spec would be as I'd wanted one ever since they were released, but no, my hands down favourite is an early 16610 with a "knackered" spidery dial that I bought on a whim.

Grand Master
    Im happy with a few bought in 2020,but very pleased I managed to get one of these again last week.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I thought the Mil-Spec would be as I'd wanted one ever since they were released, but no, my hands down favourite is an early 16610 with a "knackered" spidery dial that I bought on a whim.

Those Mil-Specs are exquisite; I wish they were series production (and think it would do Blancpain some good, too).

Ironically, it’s probably one of the very few watches I’d consider trading my 16610 in. Only shame is that it doesn’t have a Rolex-grade bracelet (micro adjustments etc).

I have had a fair few arrive this year, one of which had to be returned as it was not working (it was a shame as it’s was a watch I had been after for a while - Iraqi Airforce Navitimer)

Some have been impulse buys

Others that have been on the wanted list.

But my favourite is this by a long way. It’s a watch I have wanted from when I first became interested watches. It’s simply the best looking Chronograph I think their is
    The Heuer SG1550

Quote Originally Posted by joaocpneves View Post

Stunning, have always loved these, the aventurine dial is such a perfect match for a Speedy.

Craftsman
    3 new ones for me this year and even though they're very different I'm genuinely hard pushed to say which is the favourite.

Ordered in 2019 and took about 9 months to arrive but a great weekend watch

After a long time reading reviews and studying photos of various Sinns I finally tried a few on and simplicity won out over tech features

And this just makes me smile

Cheers

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by joaocpneves View Post
    Wow that's nice

Craftsman
    Mine would be either the Bremont Hercules or Breitling Avenger Hurricane 45...two very different watches!!

Master
    For me it has to be the panerai I got through SC. Missed it the first time it was listed but got it on the second bite. Old school PAM charm and a total strap horse, suits everything from canvas to shiny croc. Pic on a blue/grey gunny.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    2020 saw these come in really hard to choose the favourite but I think the U1 edges it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Those Mil-Specs are exquisite; I wish they were series production (and think it would do Blancpain some good, too).

Ironically, it’s probably one of the very few watches I’d consider trading my 16610 in. Only shame is that it doesn’t have a Rolex-grade bracelet (micro adjustments etc).
    Totally agree about the Mil-Spec and I too wish they made a production series.

IMO the Blancpain X71 bracelet is a lot better than my 16600 one. Agreed the lack of micro adjustment is annoying but with half and full links you can get a nice fit. The clasp is a lot better and the whole thing feels extremely solid. Compared to the ceramic era bracelets, it is a closer run thing mind!

Craftsman
    this:

Journeyman
    Most likely blue Willard from Seiko

Cheap as it maybe - I’ve just plucked this from the watch box this morning knowing it will be like a bloody war in town....
    It’s just stunning for the money

Steeldive Willard

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    this:

That is simply gorgeous

Got to be one of these two I guess? Very (very) different watches but both stunning:

Master

It’s been a quiet year for new incomings in 2020. Just a PRS29am and this.

As it's been on my wish list for years, then probably this one that arrived today.....

Only one new incoming this year, but decent smiles per pound ratio from the autodromo endurance GT. It has quite an unusual case shape with the concave bezel and slim proportions with the ever-popular Seiko VK Mecca-quartz movement. I still find a date useful, so went for this plain blue dial instead of the more exotic variants.

Will look out for a group b or an intereuropa next year.

Last edited by carryondentist; 22nd December 2020 at 14:08.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    this:

That is outstanding.

Master
    2020 has been a bizarre year...
    I managed to slightly consolidate my collection by moving away from some microbrands and a few other pieces. The number hovers around 20 but this time I don’t feel like I need to add something new.
    As far as favourite acquisition goes I can’t really pick between these two- both long time grails of mine -

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    My plan is to do a more in depth thread about it in the new year once I can properly pull it apart and get better pictures and get it cleaned and running again.
    Being interested in the development of watches I've been trying to get my hands on one of these almost forgotten watches for years. IMHO they were well ahead of their time, being not only "waterproof" but also anti-magnetic a full decade before the more conventional view of the historical narrative would imply.
    The were apparently made at the request of two submarine commanders who had approached Brook & Son with a list of requirements for a watch that could be used onboard the submarine while they were at sea.

In the meantime if you would like to know more about it, David Boettcher has done some really good research on these watches.
    https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/w....php#Submarine
    Absolutely stunning, can’t wait for your more detailed post.

Was this watch originally sold from the premises where you now work? Have I understood David’s article correctly? Or am I pre-empting your next post!

I've been thinking about this for a few days, tough question. I think probably the new 41mm Sub. Simplicity and perfection.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    2020 has been a bizarre year...
    I managed to slightly consolidate my collection by moving away from some microbrands and a few other pieces. The number hovers around 20 but this time I don’t feel like I need to add something new.
    As far as favourite acquisition goes I can’t really pick between these two- both long time grails of mine -

Glad you are still loving the Bund

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    None :-(

Master
    I would have to say the Seiko SPB149 for me. When the specs came out, it sounded perfect and has not disappointed once I got hold of one to mark a special occasion.

Excellent legibility and the case is surprisingly well finished, but the clasp digs into my wrist a bit too much for me so switched for a ratcheting mm300 clasp instead, making this watch near perfect now as a no nonsense daily wearer. :)

Won't be surprised if Seiko milk this watch with more variants in the coming years.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Just the one addition for me this year

I have had a few nice ones this year, but this is my favourite.

Dave

Not my most expensive watch this year....I love it though....so on reflection! Yes my favourite buy of 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    None :-(
    I think many of us would love to be in your position next year.....(I'm assuming no incomings!)

My favourite and only acquisition of 2020; I've been on something of a reduction exercise cutting the number from 28 to the current 7 'quality' watches. I'd been looking for one of these for a couple of years and finally found one that turned out to be perfect; only 60 exist.

This.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    I would have to say the Seiko SPB149 for me. When the specs came out, it sounded perfect and has not disappointed once I got hold of one to mark a special occasion.

Excellent legibility and the case is surprisingly well finished, but the clasp digs into my wrist a bit too much for me so switched for a ratcheting mm300 clasp instead, making this watch near perfect now as a no nonsense daily wearer. :)

Won't be surprised if Seiko milk this watch with more variants in the coming years.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
    I would like to try one of these, but by the time they landed on my radar they had sold out.
    I was chatting to an independant Seiko retailer on Sunday and he was fairly confident that we will see more of the same/similar.

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    I would like to try one of these, but by the time they landed on my radar they had sold out.
    I was chatting to an independant Seiko retailer on Sunday and he was fairly confident that we will see more of the same/similar.

I picked up one of these on here from a WTB, so always worth trying that if you are looking for one. I only kept mine a week or two then moved it on. Nice watch, just wasn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    My favourite and only acquisition of 2020; I've been on something of a reduction exercise cutting the number from 28 to the current 7 'quality' watches. I'd been looking for one of these for a couple of years and finally found one that turned out to be perfect; only 60 exist.

Really like that one.

I imagine it would be an interesting read about your journey cutting 20+ and finding out what made the final cut!

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Absolutely stunning, can’t wait for your more detailed post.

Was this watch originally sold from the premises where you now work? Have I understood David’s article correctly? Or am I pre-empting your next post!
    The watches only ever appear to have been sold by Brook & Son from their shop in Edinburgh. Unfortunately they ceased trading at the end of the 1940s so there is very little in the way of archives to work with.

I had been looking for one before I worked at their former premises. I moved away from there about a year ago now (long story that I'm not going to get into on an open forum)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Two very different watches but both equally loved:

dell laptop keyboard sticking

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Two very different watches but both equally loved:

That is brilliant!

This one for me...

Had one, sold it, regretted it, and then Tony (Top Cat) gave me the opportunity to re-acquire one. Cheers mate.

Journeyman
    Only one this year. BB 58 black.
    Last edited by PTelli; 24th December 2020 at 07:17.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Can’t decide between this...

and this...
    I love that seadweller. Beautiful watch.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I bought four watches this year, which is about three more than I would have done had I known what 2020 had in store for me. Consequently I had to make some very painful decisions with regard to letting some go.

Anyway, whilst all the incomings are lovely this is the standout favourite.

Come back to this post, as - having just popped it on - I've decided that this piece of two-tone loveliness deserves joint top spot. Such a nice watch.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Come back to this post, as - having just popped it on - I've decided that this piece of two-tone loveliness deserves joint top spot. Such a nice watch.

Wow, two stunners

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Wow, two stunners
    Thank you, Raj - I probably like them equally, which certainly says something for the Submariner as the FF is some watch.

Have a lovely Christmas, mate.

Journeyman

Favourite Acquisition of 2020?

This sneaked in last weekend but apart from this wrist shot I haven’t worn it yet....under the tree for tomorrow morning.
    The real exit piece for me....I’m absolutely happy with my lot and all slots in the box are full.
    Happy Christmas everyone.

Last edited by DrDunc; 24th December 2020 at 12:07.

Craftsman
    After posting a picture of the Moser earlier in the thread I have decided that this is equally my favourite purchase.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk