closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More money than sense

More money than sense

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think the title should be more ambition than driving ability

Track days and "The Green Hell" are great places to drive and explore your car's capabilities... unfortunately some people run out of talent rather quickly when they stop concentrating on what they're doing, and instead focus on the car in front/behind.

Easily done TBH.

And you don't need a great deal of money - it's 25euro a lap
    The costs for replacing damaged street furniture and recovery, isn't cheap though.

My mate took his Focus RS there and showed me the information list on what the cost's are if anything happens at the track.
    I really can't remember most of it but it was absolutely terrifying even just to think of the cost's involved and that wasn't even considering the cost of repairing the car if anything did happen.
    Probably fun in an old beater but not in a car that had just cost him £32.000.00 at the time.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a car that would call the Nurburgring home, while I fancy taking it for a lap there one day it’s the traffic I would be more concerned about.

You can have several cars all bunched together with laws of the road removed, adrenaline pumping and wannabe Hamilton’s in a Golf TDI..

Master
    BMW drivers should perhaps be banned from the Ring...it would save what would seem to be an inevitable car/barrier interface, going by that video.

Craftsman
    Defo more ambition than talent on show. Not to mention the hideous paint job on the Lamo.

What was that? Need For Speed Rhineland Drift?

I don't want to sound like a namby pamby, but four people in a convertible?

You know that DHL delivery you're waiting for?

I'm assuming you have to pay for track repairs if you crash?

It seems that its mostly the cheaper cars that look like they are driven by less experienced drivers and get wrecked....are the richer drivers more careful or does traction control have a part to play?

I did enoy the Robinson's Squash jumping out of the guys boot at 1:52.

Not having done any track driving...how difficult is it to learn to control a car and overcome those instinctive crashes that seem to happen? Some people look like they know exactly how to drift others spin out like they haven't got a clue.

I've done several public days at The Ring, but not for a few years.

Some / lots of the driving there is really poor & many of the cars are of questionable road worthiness. I'm also not at all keen on cars & bikes being out at the same time - very dangerous. At least 4 bikers have died when I've been there.

The Ring is so long that even decent drivers can get caught out - you can often go over a blind crest expecting a left hand corner next, only to be faced with a right hand bend.

If I go again, I'll probably do a private track day.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'm assuming you have to pay for track repairs if you crash?
    I'm pretty sure you get charged if you damage the Armco

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Not having done any track driving...how difficult is it to learn to control a car and overcome those instinctive crashes that seem to happen? Some people look like they know exactly how to drift others spin out like they haven't got a clue.
    The best way to learn to catch a slide is to do something like a Car Limits day https://www.carlimits.com/

I'd been track driving for years & always been able to catch small slides OK but then I got my GT3 & very nearly put it in the barriers at high speed on a drying track at Spa. I was lucky to get away with very light damage and did my first CL day shortly afterwards.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Then there is always drives like this, some of the bends are taken at over 200mph..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I'm pretty sure you get charged if you damage the Armco

The best way to learn to catch a slide is to do something like a Car Limits day https://www.carlimits.com/

I'd been track driving for years & always been able to catch small slides OK but then I got my GT3 & very nearly put it in the barriers at high speed on a drying track at Spa. I was lucky to get away with very light damage and did my first CL day shortly afterwards.
    Found this:

Cost of crashing on the Nurburgring

These include Armco repairs, safety car attendance, vehicle recovery, track closure, hospital stays and helicopter fees. I recommend avoiding these. If you can't, then the following price-list may help:

Base fee for attendance of armco truck: €150
    Removing damaged armco: €10/metre (x2 or x3 or x4 for multiple-height sections)
    Replacement armco: €31/metre (x2 or x3 for double/triple height)
    Removing damaged armco posts: €5.10 each
    Replacing armco post: €39 each
    Safety car attendance: €82 per 30 mins (car + 2 people)
    Circuit closure: €1,350 per hour
    Recovery truck: €500 (inc VAT)
    Hospital stay & air ambulance: Let's just say, do NOT go there without travel insurance! (Though a European Health Card - which replaced the E111 - may cover the hospital bit.)

Everything except the recovery truck is then subject to 19% VAT.
    Apparently highest armco repair was €15,000 Gulp

Craftsman
    The Ring can be an expensive hobby, I would love to have the money and time to do it right. I have been a couple of times and irrespective of the car, if you know the track well you can get round pretty quick.

It was clear from the video, some knew what they were doing, some were having fun, and some should just not have been there

More money than sense

Maybe that should be the forum moto?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I’ve been a few dozen times and done hundreds of laps.

I have also crashed there. That was an expensive trip, though in my defence I came around a bend into a hail storm.

Not been for a few years but thinking about taking my eldest boy out for a road trip next year, COVID permitting.

As Andy says the best option really is a track day - no bikes, no per lap fee and everyone on the same playing field.

Master

More money than sense

Best way to have fun there if your worried about driving or riding it is to book a seat on the ring taxi. They used M5s the last time I went and it’s eye opening at the level of performance in both the cars and the drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Love the way a couple of O.J's popped out of the boot when the silver convertible hit the barrier - that was definitely the best bit.

Master
    I smiled after that car came to a stop & someone then blasted the air horn. No idea if a safety thing, but if I were the driver of the car I’d have smiled at the comedy timing of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk