closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Google Authenticator transfer

Master

Google Authenticator transfer

Hi
    Waiting for a new iPhone to arrive and thought I better check the best way to make sure Google Authenticator carries on working.
    I’ll be setting up the new phone using an encrypted back-up via ITunes so all the passwords etc carry over.
    I remember reading that you have to be careful how you transfer the Authenticator over.
    There is an option in the app now to transfer to new devices but I thought it would be worth asking as I know plenty of people have had new iPhones and some will use Google Authenticator.

Thanks

Don’t erase the phone before sorting out authenticator logins. I made the mistake of doing this and wiped my Microsoft Authenticator. Pain in the ass to sort out because it usually needs action from the company you authenticate with.

I can't remember the details but it's a pain.
    I now use Authy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I can't remember the details but it's a pain.
    I now use Authy.
    This, but for Microsoft Authenticator you may need to set up the new phone, as advised, don’t wipe the old one until you have done this.

Absolute nightmare. Don’t delete anything from the old phone until sorted. I’m still not sure how mine got sorted. More luck than judgement and I’m pretty good with these things usualky

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I had a nightmare with mine, thought it'd be simple because I was going from pixel 2 to a pixel 3. There's one app that I've reverted to sms authentication because I've given up trying to sort out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Think it can be done via Google on a PC.

Craftsman
    I found it ok, leave old phone working, work through each site updating MFA key to new phone. The migration feature wasn’t there when I did it, but it’d be sensible to check each site anyway so not sure it’d save much time.

I do have a password manager, prob be a lot more painful without that.

Master
    Thanks all. Will definitely not be erasing the old phone until I have the new one all working with Authenticator.

Master
    Just to close the loop on this - QA actually quite straightforward in the end.
    Backed up old iPhone as an encrypted back-up on ITunes. Connected new iPhone and restored from back-up.
    Opened Google Authenticator on old phone and new one. Pressed Export on old phone (within the app) and scanned the QR code with the new phone. All synced and working.
    So not as bad as I had thought. I think it has definitely changed though so maybe easier now than before.