closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Potential fogging(?) On Speedy Reduced 3510.XX

Potential fogging(?) On Speedy Reduced 3510.XX

Hi there. Story goes - purchased the speedy reduced on the nato a few weeks back.

Purchased another one yesterday and noticed some slight variation to the dial/hesalite as pictured:

Appreciate your input if it should go for a round of servicing! Thanks.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dan95; 17th December 2020 at 04:08.

Another pic:

Last edited by Dan95; 17th December 2020 at 04:09.

Whilst I am not sure if it’s fogging or different crystals the lume on the one on the NATO looks discoloured. That could indicate water ingress
    With regard to servicing. They are both old watches now so it would probably not hurt if time keeping is off. Both watches are only 30m water resistance rated so if you were going to get it wet I would want the seals changed.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Both watches are only 30m water resistance rated so if you were going to get it wet I would want the seals changed.
    Even if the watch was 300metre rated the seals may have aged, thus reducing the WR to zero. It isn’t like tread on tyres, it bears no relation to what you started with!

Contrary to popular myth the chrono module on these is straightforward to service, parts availability is a problem owing to restricted supply but if the chrono function works OK its unlikely to need anything replacing. The base movement is ETA 2892 so that’s straightforward. Biggest headache on these is getting the pushers out of the case for replacement, it may be possible to replace the seals but I’ve never tried.

The caseback seal is an O ring, that’s easy to replace. Its possible that the case has pitted in the area where the crystal locates, if so that could be difficult to rectify but there are ways and means to get limited water resistance.

I don’t hold with the argument the watch won’t be used in water so WR doesn’t matter. All watches get wet if they’re worn, they get splashed when hands are washed or when the wearer gets caught in a rain shower, the almost always see water at some point and that’s why its important to make a watch splashproof if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Whilst I am not sure if it’s fogging or different crystals the lume on the one on the NATO looks discoloured. That could indicate water ingress
    With regard to servicing. They are both old watches now so it would probably not hurt if time keeping is off. Both watches are only 30m water resistance rated so if you were going to get it wet I would want the seals changed.
    Appreciate your input. Water ingress could be why the Speedy on nato was serviced in 2019 - with a hefty repair bill, north of GBP300! (for context, general service for Rolex 3035 3135 cal. in Malaysia is GBP120 thru independents).

Timekeeping on the other unit is so far so good - resets to zero to boot! Though no harm in getting it checked out cause seals are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Even if the watch was 300metre rated the seals may have aged, thus reducing the WR to zero. It isn’t like tread on tyres, it bears no relation to what you started with!

Contrary to popular myth the chrono module on these is straightforward to service, parts availability is a problem owing to restricted supply but if the chrono function works OK its unlikely to need anything replacing. The base movement is ETA 2892 so that’s straightforward. Biggest headache on these is getting the pushers out of the case for replacement, it may be possible to replace the seals but I’ve never tried.

The caseback seal is an O ring, that’s easy to replace. Its possible that the case has pitted in the area where the crystal locates, if so that could be difficult to rectify but there are ways and means to get limited water resistance.

I don’t hold with the argument the watch won’t be used in water so WR doesn’t matter. All watches get wet if they’re worn, they get splashed when hands are washed or when the wearer gets caught in a rain shower, the almost always see water at some point and that’s why its important to make a watch splashproof if possible.
    Thanks for your input walker. Have always avoided DD modular chronos like they're the plague.. But couldn't resist getting this piece! Not sure if local independents here (Malaysia) can be trusted with the fragile pushers - heard a service through the Swatch Group costs upwards of GBP400 ~ similar to the service cost of a Speedy Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan95 View Post
    Appreciate your input. Water ingress could be why the Speedy on nato was serviced in 2019 - with a hefty repair bill, north of GBP300! (for context, general service for Rolex 3035 3135 cal. in Malaysia is GBP120 thru independents).

Timekeeping on the other unit is so far so good - resets to zero to boot! Though no harm in getting it checked out cause seals are cheap.
    Just a thought but was watch serviced in Malaysia, where imagine can be quite hot and humid?

If so could have been moist air trapped inside which could condense here when cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Just a thought but was watch serviced in Malaysia, where imagine can be quite hot and humid?

If so could have been moist air trapped inside which could condense here when cold.
    Still in Malaysia because of Covid-19.... Easier to get Silver Snoopys here anyway. Lol

Just an opinion, but the Speedy Reduced I had looked something like that and it was the external AR coating. I used some T-cut and polished it off and hey presto, I will try to find the pictures !
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON View Post
    Just an opinion, but the Speedy Reduced I had looked something like that and it was the external AR coating. I used some T-cut and polished it off and hey presto, I will try to find the pictures !
    These versions of the reduced have plastic crystals.
    One of these was my very first nice watch. They are lovely little things, although it was always a bit small on my wrist. It was sold to buy a Speedy Pro which I still have.

At 38mm wears just nice on my wrist!Attachment 18590