closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Your thoughts please on the Manufacturer - Girard Perregaux

Your thoughts please on the Manufacturer - Girard Perregaux

I would appreciate members views both past and present on the Girard Perregaux Manufacturer .

Over the past 45 years I have had the pleasure and honour to own and wear timepieces from many different Manufacturers.
    But I have never owned or even tried one on from this Manufacturer.

Please help to educate me, as I know very little about their watches, designs, movements etc.

As with all threads photographs are most welcome.

Thank you

I’ve had two. The first was previous generation Laureato with moonphase and the one I have now is a ceramic Chrono Hawk which has now been discontinued. They are a great maker, mostly in-house and the watches are incredibly well built. There’s not the demand though so you’ll lose a lot if you buy at retail. Thankfully there are always deals to be had, I think my Chrono Hawk was bought new for about a third of the retail price once it was discontinued.
    I’d position them somewhere between Rolex and AP, but probably more towards the AP end.

Grand Master
    I have a vintage GP two hand dress watch I picked up in a trade last week and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality. I’m a convert. I’ve owned a couple of Jean Richard models which is their cheaper brand, and they were also good watches with nice finishing.

There was a time a few years back where someone seemed to post a GP every week, but I've not seen many in recent times.

I used to think there wasn't a single one of their watches I didn't like the look of - I did see a couple after coming to that conclusion that made me revise it a bit, but generally they seem to make good looking watches.

I don't really know much about them as a maker though, besides that.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 11th December 2020 at 09:55.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I own a couple of vintage GP , great watches and I would like to add a few more ! I dont own any of there newer models , so can only give my opinion from a vintage perspective

After researching the brand and very long history , I liked the fact they purchased Ebauches from the mainstream makers Adolf Schild , Peseux, ETA and reworked them for there watches . This kept costs down and from a business point of view .

The company went there own way with the quartz watches , when the rest of the swiss industry was collaborating ,to produce a movement .

As previous posts they are easy to buy but hard to sell , as not many people appreciate the brand . Until they own one !

Heres a couple of pics of mine
    [IMG] [/IMG]

Blog Entries
    The only one I had was this one: rather unusual with 24h dial and large minute hand. Beautiful rose gold case. Very well made. But tanks on second hand market. So take care when buying

Thanks to everyone for posting their thoughts.

Robbo, good info regarding their movements.

Martyn, that is certainly an unusual complication, but like you, love the R/G case.

Master
    I used to own a vintage one which was beautiful and reliable, it certainly gave the impression of quality. Arguably I was crazy to let it go! If they had any sense they’d reissue it.

I think as a modern brand they’ve had a bit of difficultly carving out a niche for themselves, positioning the brand and creating a clear idea of what it stands for, and what it says about the wearer. This is as much an issue with their advertising, marketing and PR as with the watches themselves. They’ve bet heavily on the Laureato as a premium but less absurdly priced Royal Oak / Nautilus competitor that has some history to it, and there should be a gap in the market for something like that. And yet, the design hasn’t quite hit the spot, until that is the Infinity Edition with its black onyx dial. While largely ignored around here, it’s a stunner, though for me personally it would have worked better in 40mm. Bear in mind the original Royal Oak Jumbo and current 15202st are 39mm.

I also wish they’d have another go at their dress watches, which like so much about the brand, strike me as almost right. As with VC’s Patrimony, they’ve fallen for the idea that a modern dress watch should be 40mm, which does nothing for the proportions.

Master
    ^ superb photos itsguy - the vintage is a true beauty

I do like the Laureato models and Infinity Edition looks lovely as do the blue dial model.
    Love the vintage piece.

Master
    What is interesting is the many different directions GP tried but never captured. Certainly they make wonderful pieces but just don’t try to move them on......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    ...Arguably I was crazy to let it go!...
    I had a look back through your sales threads and was shocked to discover you sold this absolute beauty for Ł275!?!? Someone got a real bargain there sir. Truly lovely watch

Once owned a GP Seahawk that ended up on Sc and being traded
    Very solid and supreme accuracy
    Also had a lovely vintage dress watch
    I think they’re lovely things- someone here has a 1945 chrono with rose gold indices that is utterly beautiful in

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    ^ superb photos itsguy - the vintage is a true beauty
    Only the first one is my photo, the other one was borrowed from here, where there’s also a good video.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I had a look back through your sales threads and was shocked to discover you sold this absolute beauty for Ł275!?!? Someone got a real bargain there sir. Truly lovely watch
    I did say I was crazy to let it go! But what can I say, I got it for a good price and passed on the good luck. These kind of watches used to be really overlooked.

Master
    I recently bought this here and it's stunning, 40mm Ceramic.

If I didn't have more 'dress' watches than days a year I smarten up, I'd be looking at one of the 1966 range.

I'm a big fan of GP watches, they just seem to hit the spot design wise for me. I find their quality to be extremely good and customer service excellent. They aren't particularly loved in the UK so buying pre owned is the only way with a big discount! They have quite a following elsewhere in the world though.

I just looked back through the watches which I have owned and flipped, and there have been 11 GP's!

Every time I see a GP Seahawk for sale on SC I hover over the PM button. I really like the look of them and they can be picked up for not a lot of cash.
    Their sports watches whilst maybe an acquired taste definitely do it for me. Much more interesting than some of their competition

My only GP is the Neo Bridges - I just fell for it, though I guess it is a bit marmite. Surprisingly it winds anti-clockwise - and has a slightly rough winding feel, but as it is auto (with a micro-rotor : at top left) I don't often notice that!

Last edited by WatchIng; 11th December 2020 at 19:22. Reason: Missed text

Lovely watches. I keep looking at the latest Laureato and trying to work out how it is inferior to an AP Royal Oak. I'm struggling to be honest

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm sure Howard's has now gone to the dealer but I have been so close to messaging as It was the nicest watch on SC for the last month

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Watching, that’s pretty awesome
    Cheers Topcat and Ryan.
    I have read similar comparisons to the AP on other forums, when I asked the same question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    My only GP is the Neo Bridges - I just fell for it, though I guess it is a bit marmite. Surprisingly it winds anti-clockwise - and has a slightly rough winding feel, but as it is auto (with a micro-rotor : at top left) I don't often notice that!

Beautiful watch - lot of horological chops for the money with a brand like GP, and can be had for good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    Nice watch, but being an 80’s kid all I see is Short Circuit!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thebuffoon View Post
    I recently bought this here and it's stunning, 40mm Ceramic.

If I didn't have more 'dress' watches than days a year I smarten up, I'd be looking at one of the 1966 range.
    That looks fantastic, definitely need to see (and feel) one of those in the flesh.

Cheers
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Nice watch, but being an 80’s kid all I see is Short Circuit!!

Tee hee - I shall take that away with me for good!

Master
    Wow, have to say that is stunning

I used to own a vintage one which was beautiful and reliable, it certainly gave the impression of quality. Arguably I was crazy to let it go! If they had any sense they’d reissue it.

Blog Entries
    Unless there are some serious discounts to be had it looks like buyers would be taking a bath on many of the models if they decided to move them on. Watchfinder have a 2 year old 1966 for Ł12,950 and list the retail at Ł20,074.
    They also have a 2 year old Heritage at Ł4,950 with a retail of 8k, so used looks like the way to go if you think you’ll ever want to move it on.

Perhaps like I said there are discounts to be had on the retail prices, I’ve never looked into buying one so maybe those who have can tell us. I quite like the look of some of the Laureato models but I think the new prices are a bit strong.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

When I last looked at the laureato 2k off retail seemed to be standard new. I would suggest trying the laureato on first before buying as the the "bezel" looking part seemed a lot more pronounced on real life than it appears in photos.

Journeyman
    As others have said, depreciation from retail is significant. This means 'bargains' can be had second hand, but service costs are commensurate with the original retail price and apparently approaching AP level.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    I own a couple of vintage GP , great watches and I would like to add a few more ! I dont own any of there newer models , so can only give my opinion from a vintage perspective

After researching the brand and very long history , I liked the fact they purchased Ebauches from the mainstream makers Adolf Schild , Peseux, ETA and reworked them for there watches . This kept costs down and from a business point of view .

The company went there own way with the quartz watches , when the rest of the swiss industry was collaborating ,to produce a movement .

As previous posts they are easy to buy but hard to sell , as not many people appreciate the brand . Until they own one !

Heres a couple of pics of mine
    [IMG] [/IMG]

Looks great, especially with that strap, any idea where it came from / manufacturer?

Craftsman
    In my opinion, a great brand. Recently, their models have been particularly interesting in their Bridges and Laureato collection. Love their complications and prices are very reasonable for what you get. But as others have said, like many other brands, prices take a big hit on the secondary market. So make sure you get a good discount!

I have their Foudroyante rattranpante model in WG from the early 2000’s. Beautiful piece. I had planned to get a Neo- bridges earth to sky next year but the skeleton ceramic Laureato has caught my eye. A bit more expensive but what a piece! Fine finishing on the movement and great case abs bracket design.

I would love a three bridges tourbillion but that is way above my pay grade!

BW,
    Chi Kai

I still have this one.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Bumping my old thread

Came across one of these Girard Perregaux from their 1966 collection.

What do you think?

https://luxuryhanoi.vn/girard-perreg...bb60-1367.html

Master

I think as a modern brand they’ve had a bit of difficultly carving out a niche for themselves, positioning the brand and creating a clear idea of what it stands for, and what it says about the wearer. This is as much an issue with their advertising, marketing and PR as with the watches themselves. They’ve bet heavily on the Laureato as a premium but less absurdly priced Royal Oak / Nautilus competitor that has some history to it, and there should be a gap in the market for something like that. And yet, the design hasn’t quite hit the spot, until that is the Infinity Edition with its black onyx dial. While largely ignored around here, it’s a stunner, though for me personally it would have worked better in 40mm. Bear in mind the original Royal Oak Jumbo and current 15202st are 39mm.

I also wish they’d have another go at their dress watches, which like so much about the brand, strike me as almost right. As with VC’s Patrimony, they’ve fallen for the idea that a modern dress watch should be 40mm, which does nothing for the proportions.
    Beautiful!! Excellent foto as well.

I have had several daniel jean richard watches, which were made under GP ownership, that's as close as i got. But finish and quality was amazing. To think these watches can be bought for less than an rolex or omega price increase percentage is crazy. Sadly not all brands make it despite the levels of quality being so high.

I tried one of these while on a recent trip to London.
    fantastic watch and fits the wrist very well.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Lovely looking watch but I cant help thinking it reminds me a little of the Junghans calendar watch. That being said I do like GP watches and it seems the prices are going back to normal again, the Laureto is back in stock in most places.
    I see what you mean.
    But it was the larger date that attracted me to it.
    As I was able to read it! LOL

I think they’re meant to be quite well regarded. One of their overlooked watches which is always go and have a look at online once in a blue moon is the Free Bridge.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/watch-r...x-free-bridge/

Very cool but doubt I’d ever commit to one.

Personally I think GP is awesome. A 38mm Laureato will be my next watch….