closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tag Heuer Calibre 36, link/monza. Opinions?

Master

Tag Heuer Calibre 36, link/monza. Opinions?

Yes of course we all know there isn't much love for Tag Heuer on here but at some point (once funds allow) I'm looking to add another chrono to the collection.

Now i'd thought that would be a Monaco again, its the watch that got me into it all. I owned a modern mcqueen (tag branded, not Heuer) a couple of years back and do miss it. I can't seem to get excited about the other models/colours either now. Really would like a heuer re-edition but the size puts me off a bit? Anyway.....

Recently I've started getting interested in the older TH calibre 36 models, specifically the monza and link. They have my favourite dial layout and obviously the el primero movement which has got to be a bonus?

The link is seen as the ugly duckling somewhat, but I appreciate the 80's/90's vibe with S-el type bracelet, of which I'm guessing some will hate of course :-) Its probably this I'm more intrigued with at the minute than the Monza..... I'd imagine neither being very easy to move on though if I don't get on with it.

Movement wise the el primero is well regarded but am I setting myself up for some hefty bills come service time/spares/issues?

Found a few threads on here regarding these two but info/pics are pretty thin on the ground so any help appreciated.

Cheers.
    Last edited by j4ckal; 7th November 2020 at 06:27.

Tag Heuer Calibre 36, link/monza. Opinions?

I’ve had both dial Link Calibre 36 models and two Monza Calibre 36 models.

I sold the Links primarily because I was beginning to find them difficult to read at a glance. I had the white dial first and thought the black Would be better but it made little difference.

I loved the Monzas but sold them because I rarely wore them. I prefer bracelets but they only came on straps.

If I were to buy another, it would be the ltd edition Monza with the retro dial, that was my favourite.

As the movement has been around for a long time, it shouldn’t be too costly to service.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 7th November 2020 at 09:07.

Blog Entries
    I’ve had a couple of the Monzas and am looking at another, love them but can never keep them for some reason.
    The calibre 36 is expensive to service as you will expect also beware of other costs , crystals are very costly so look for a good one.
    Nice watches but in my experience you never get your money back , if that’s important to you

Master
    Thanks for the replies.

Dave+63 do you have any more wrist shots of the link to hand by any chance? I'd be looking at a black dial link or black dial monza, I'm a white dial fan but probably not on one of these.

Are these serviceable by an then independent I assume? Is the cost of a crystal down to rarity then, did it not share a case/crystal with any other model?

Cheers.

Master

The business end.

(Stolen pic off tinterweb).

No, sorry. I struggled to find those photos.

I had my white dial calibre 36 serviced by Brendan (Webwatchmaker) and whilst I had no issues with the movement service, we fell out over his inability to accept responsibility for failing to make it water resistant.

I’ve got a white / silver dial monza cal 36 and it’s a great watch, although I’m guilty of not wearing it that often. Much more special than the standard piggy-back chrono movement standard models. I had a Zenith Daytona at the same time as this, and (despite being aware of 2nd hand price difference) it felt just as premium. In fact it probably a similar RRP at £3500 in the early 00’s.

The applied indices, gillouche dial and of course the display back set it apart imo. The higher beat rate of the 36 also makes it look nice in action. I chose the white dial at the time as the hands tended to disappear against the shiny dial on the black model at certain angles.

The el-primero is more to service than some other chronos due to its complexity and increased number of components, but there are a lot of spare parts out there and a competent independent will be able to maintain it for years to come.

Grand Master
    LVMH have a more flexible attitude to supplying parts to bona fide trade repairers, most independents should have no problems .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    LVMH have a more flexible attitude to supplying parts to bona fide trade repairers, most independents should have no problems .
    Good to know, thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post

Cracking that is :-)
    I'd dismissed the lighter colour dial in the monza but that looks good.

Just saw this pop up for 1200ish euro which seems reasonable. It's the calibre 17 I think and it looks good in the photo

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    No, sorry. I struggled to find those photos.

I had my white dial calibre 36 serviced by Brendan (Webwatchmaker) and whilst I had no issues with the movement service, we fell out over his inability to accept responsibility for failing to make it water resistant.
    Dave R. Right ?
    I serviced this watch for you February 2013.
    You did not ask for water testing, saying that you rarely wear it. It would have been no problem to do so, although this would have necessitated replacement of the pushers/pusher gaskets and crown. I have all the emails between us regarding this job. It was miles off beat and gaining over 4 minutes per day when I received it. Very badly serviced, even the lever pivots were wrongly oiled and the calendar advance lever was sticking. You asked me to refurbish the case, bezel and bracelet, which I did, but there was no request to water test this watch.
    I did as you asked and you got it back with a rate of +5 seconds per day.
    Therefore I did not fail to take responsibility for not water testing it. It was never part of your instructions.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using TZ-UK mobile app