closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Love Divers, but not military

Love Divers, but not military

Looking at Eddies recent new models, something strikes me as odd about my own tastes in watches, and wondered if I'm alone in this.

I love Divers, as I like a nice chunky watch, decent lume and a bezel for timing - eg Submariners, Sinn U-series, Seamasters, the PRS-14, 18 etc - but I just don't 'get' aviators and military watches like the PRS-10, 53, speedbird, the IWC pilot watches like the Mark IV, etc - they seem very small, anaemic hands, very plain, basic cases....

I'm not knocking them, I like the purity of design, don't have a problem with acrylic, but they just don't appeal to me in the way they seem to appeal to others. Odd as functionality in a watch is what really appeals to me, and I see people raving about this 'segment' of watches - anyone out there who feels the same, or used to but had a 'eureka' moment with a particular watch?

Re: Love Divers, but not military

I totally agree. I can appreciate military watches for the same reasons you give, but I always go for Divers when it comes time to part with any cash. I like the solidity of divers watches and how they look and feel on the wrist.

Craftsman

I love both type, I think the attraction of pilots watches for me is the very simple and legible dial, in this case less is more.

I don't care what type of watch it is. If I like it (and can afford it) I'll buy it ;-)

Military, Diver, Dress or whatever.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master

I like pilot watches the most for their minimal design and easy readability. Never had an issue with the "anemic" hands.

Of course it’s a matter of taste.

Starting from the premise that the dial on a watch like the PRS 10 is as big as or bigger than its dive watch counterparts; I’ve come to the conclusion that many people crave a heavy piece of metal jewellery around their wrist as much as they do a watch.

I’ve not got a wedding ring, I’ve never had any sort of bracelet, or worn anything round my neck other that a tie. I prefer military watches and "flimsy" Rolex bracelets.

I like both types myself, it's the slim dressy watches that do nothing for me.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade

Starting from the premise that the dial on a watch like the PRS 10 is as big as or bigger than its dive watch counterparts; I’ve come to the conclusion that many people crave a heavy piece of metal jewellery around their wrist as much as they do a watch.
    I've come to the conclusion that some people by watches buy the pound. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade

I've come to the conclusion that some people by watches buy the pound. :wink:
    Or the yard.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about it Rob. I've sort of gone the other way. Watches with bezels, in general, don't float my boat. This is especially true of big watch, with big bezels, and tiny dials. (Although watches with bezels can be useful, and I have three, and use them for bicycling and the like.) And I think that anything but anaemic hands on chronos is a design flaw. And I like well done dress watches. So, you follow your interests. I'll follow mine. And we'll all live happily ever after. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    I like both types myself, it's the slim dressy watches that do nothing for me.
    Me too.

I like both, it's generally whatever takes my fancy.

Pilot/military watches and divers share a common theme of design, they are all designed for clarity and the best typify 'clean' design to my eyes. I think it's that clarity of design that attracts me to many watches.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier

Or the yard.

Bob
    A good yardstick is that whatever people like today, they will also fancy something different later on. I am amazed how my tastes change ... sometimes going in circles too.

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

Or the yard.

Bob
    A good yardstick is that whatever people like today, they will also fancy something different later on. I am amazed how my tastes change ... sometimes going in circles too.
    john

Very true, although at 6'6" and 250lb as much as I may like some of the Precistas , they look kinda wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

Or the yard.

Bob

john
    I hope that's not on your bike like Bob :D .
    Same for me, taste seems to be changing now and then, there's no real logic in my collection.
    But who cares, as long as you'r happy?

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    .. there's no real logic

Daddel.
    Logic and watches don't go anywhere near each other. People want to be individuals and there is a watch for everybody ... or probably the magic number is around seven (watches) each as that is the number of conflicting opinions the human mind can hold at the same time.

Some are greedy and some are limited (I only have three :( ) but I love all the variations and the way people try to explain their choices. The last thing I would like to see is uniformity. As I said before, hell is when everybody is wearing a Rolex. :P

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master

I really like divers, I find the bezel useful and the sea dweller is my favorite watch of all time (sadly a little.. ok a lot out of my buying capacity).

having said that, the watches i tend to find myself seriously thinking about seem to be mostly pilots. Bremont - pilot heritage (and present). Sinn - same. Hamilton khaki GMT - looks quite pilot-y in my eyes. I also have a Nettuno (modded - thanks Luso) - an obvious diver - but find myself wanting to change it...

I guess what i'm saying is that trying to rationalise and compartmentalise your tastes, put them down in a set of rules is a fruitless task, because all it takes is that one watch to make you go gaga that breaks all the rules and then your back at square one. There's no accounting for taste. No logic (as pointed out).

Ah well..

I tend to go for divers and chronographs, and have relatively few 'plain' watches.
    It's pretty crazy, really, as I don't dive and my eyesight means I can't use most chronos (unless I have my glasses on) :?

I've tried & I mean really, really tried, to move away from
    mechanical, diver style watches...
    I've tried quartz & can't do it, I just know it'll be moved on...
    I've tried military & can't do it, out the door in a couple of days...
    I've tried chronos & can't do it, again I know it'll be moved on...
    I've tried dress watches & can't do it, guess what, moving on, moving on...
    I think a style of watch becomes part of who & what you are. If you can swop
    amongst styles, good for you, I can't. Perhaps there's a specific term for WIS
    like me, "MONOWISAPHILE", lover of one type of WISism...
    Just my 2p. I hope somebody agrees with me, though, or I am sadder
    than Sad Sam the Sad Boy...
    Take it easy...
    Jim...
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663
    I've tried quartz & can't do it, I just know it'll be moved on...
    I've tried military & can't do it, out the door in a couple of days...
    I've tried chronos & can't do it, again I know it'll be moved on...
    I've tried dress watches & can't do it, guess what, moving on, moving on...
    I think a style of watch becomes part of who & what you are. ...
    I sort of felt this way earlier this year. Then I realized a few things:

1. That different watches bring different forms of satisfaction to me. Sometimes one just wants to be "in" and dressed "right," and in these instances you realize that a fashionable watch actually does the trick very nicely and is quite pleasing to wear. One downside: quartz.

2. Thinking about it more carefully, is there really anything so wrong with quartz? Given the choice, I'll go mechanical every time, but sometimes you haven't the choice and must accept quartz to get the watch you want. I've come to accept this and have become (to my mind anyways) less of an "elitist." I'm more than happy with many of my quartz watches because they appeal to me in a more visual sense, even if they lack a certain je ne sais quois to satisfy my deeper WISdom.

3. Different styles of watch each have their appeal, and all have a place on my wrist given the time and place and clothing. And sometimes, its fun to do a bit of mix'n'match just to spice things up (an orange dialed Doxa with a fine suit for example).

In all, I once felt that I wanted just one "style" of watch, but I've since come to learn that many different styles make me happier because my moods often change with the weather. I like that I not only have several divers to choose from on days I want a chunkier and more substantial watch, but that I also can choose among a number of mil-style watches, and perhaps even "fashion house" watches as my mood and desire fits that day (or even that part of the day).

As might be expected, my wife doesn't understand at all.

I know tastes can change, and I'd certainly say I've changed my mind on Quartz - with a 10 year life on the battery, the PRS-10 looks great. Maybe it's an excuse to buy one of Eddie's - like I need an excuse :wink:

I certainly think a bit of variety is good, so maybe I just have to try one out....

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Well, you could get both in the same package.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad
    Looking at Eddies recent new models, something strikes me as odd about my own tastes in watches, and wondered if I'm alone in this. I love Divers, as I like a nice chunky watch, decent lume and a bezel for timing - eg Submariners, Sinn U-series, Seamasters, the PRS-14, 18 etc - but I just don't 'get' aviators and military watches like the PRS-10, 53, speedbird, the IWC pilot watches like the Mark IV, etc - they seem very small, anaemic hands, very plain, basic cases... I'm not knocking them, I like the purity of design, don't have a problem with acrylic, but they just don't appeal to me in the way they seem to appeal to others. Odd as functionality in a watch is what really appeals to me, and I see people raving about this 'segment' of watches - anyone out there who feels the same, or used to but had a 'eureka' moment with a particular watch?
    I used to be the same. "GIVE ME A DIVER OR GIVE ME DEATH". But your tastes can change. Mine have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean in Canuckistan
    Is there really anything so wrong with quartz? Given the choice, I'll go mechanical every time, but sometimes you haven't the choice and must accept quartz to get the watch you want. I've come to accept this and have become (to my mind anyways) less of an "elitist." I'm more than happy with many of my quartz watches because they appeal to me in a more visual sense, even if they lack a certain je ne sais quois to satisfy my deeper WISdom..
    I keep telling you - THIS IS THE YEAR OF QUARTZ! 8)

My first requirement is a clear legible dial and hands. Partly for clarity in design, but mainly so my old long-sighted eyes can read the damn thing. After that I go for a form-follows-function approach. So that means I can like pilot, dress, diver or whatever - as long as it is mainly functional rather than decorative. If it ends up looking elegant in the process, so much the better. So a Stowa Antea floats my boat as much as a PRS-18 or a Mk XI/Speedbird or a Sinn 856. But a Doxa or a Seiko Monster doesn't - too much design going on for me - and I find that with a lot of dive watches.

Oh and quartz is just fine in the right watch IMHO. Marathon TSAR, CWC G10, PRS-10, PRS-17, any Ana-Digi - they are just right with quartz.

...having said that, if I had to name the most iconic and elegant watch of all time, it would be a diver. The Rolex Sub 5513.