closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch refinishing (brushed and polished)

Craftsman

Watch refinishing (brushed and polished)

Hi all,
    I am wondering if it’s possible to get a brushed watch that has a few scuffs rebrushed to look like it was when new.
    It also has a polished back with a few marks from battery changes.
    Non of it is anything major, or deep.
    I was thinking of getting it bead blasted but am now wondering about tidying up the standard finish.
    Would anyone know of anyone/anywhere to get it done/
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am wondering if it’s possible to get a brushed watch that has a few scuffs rebrushed to look like it was when new.
    It also has a polished back with a few marks from battery changes.
    Non of it is anything major, or deep.
    I was thinking of getting it bead blasted but am now wondering about tidying up the standard finish.
    Would anyone know of anyone/anywhere to get it done/
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob
    What kind of value is the watch?

If you aren’t completely ham-fisted, it’s entirely possible to make a great job of it yourself, depending on if it will devalue the watch. Some masking tape and various abrasives and polishes are required but mainly patience.....

I’ve bought crap watches before now to practice on before making an attempt at expensive ones.......

I’m just a hobbyist but here’s an example from earlier this year.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...d-modification

Some good features on YouTube for example

https://youtu.be/e3ic1or1AHI

Grand Master
    Impossible to give advice without knowing more about the watch.

Some watches need the case to be stripped down to do the job properly, there are good reasons why. Sometimes this isn’t necessary, but generally its the best way to do it.

Removing damage and refinishing are two different processes, usually its necessary to get tge marks and damage out before refinishing.

My advice is to practice on something with no value.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Impossible to give advice without knowing more about the watch.

Some watches need the case to be stripped down to do the job properly, there are good reasons why. Sometimes this isn’t necessary, but generally its the best way to do it.

Removing damage and refinishing are two different processes, usually its necessary to get tge marks and damage out before refinishing.

My advice is to practice on something with no value.
    ^ good advice from Paul, he’s finished a watch for me that I thought was so far gone I was amazed at the finished result.

Master
    Normal people like to wear a pristine watch that looks like the day it was bought whereas WISs prefer the lived in look with patina or as a layman would say, the more shagged out the better.

Basically we are all being morally blackmailed to wear watches that are good on the inside and look a bit of a mess on the outside. Such is the peculiar world of the watch collector.

Craftsman
    There is no damage to the watch, just a few very light scuffs and hairline marks.
    They are nothing really and it’s quite a chunky, angular watch so I’m sure I will get more but I bought it used so they are not ‘my’ marks, if that makes sense?
    That was why my initial thought was bead blasting, to make it new again but now I’m thinking again as if I went down that route and didn’t like the finish I’d be stuck with it!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    There is no damage to the watch, just a few very light scuffs and hairline marks.
    They are nothing really and it’s quite a chunky, angular watch so I’m sure I will get more but I bought it used so they are not ‘my’ marks, if that makes sense?
    That was why my initial thought was bead blasting, to make it new again but now I’m thinking again as if I went down that route and didn’t like the finish I’d be stuck with it!
    If you posted a picture of the watch you’d get far more constructive advice.

One thing to consider: trying to touch up a brushed/ grained finish is a bit like touching up paint on a car, trying to do a small area doesn’t work well and it’s often necessary to refinish the whole thing to get an even finish. To a lesser extent this applies to polishing but its often possible to polish a smaller area successfully, it depends on the condition, a small freshly polished area would stand out if the rest of the watch us quite worn.

Sometimes a brushed finish can be ‘ refreshed’ by careful use of a fibreglass pen, this only works if the damage is very light but it can make a scuff far less noticeable.

Craftsman
    What is a fibreglass pen ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Googled .. I now know .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app