closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Waltham USA Advice

Waltham USA Advice

Evening gents was clearing through some boxes following my dads recent passing and found a Waltham usa watch its in pretty poor shape and the crown is missing just wondering if its worth saving or just keep as is?

Any help advice or link to resources on the watch would be appreciated.

Pics below.

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    What a lovely little watch, American movement in a British case.

To me, a watch like this represents emotional value rather than monetary. Do you remember your father wearing it? Does it remind you of him?

Personally, I would send it to Brendan Hoey for assessment with a view to having the movement serviced, crown replaced, crystal changed and maybe a very light polish. He did a wonderful job on my fathers 21st birthday watch which had sat broken in a drawer for decades. I returned it to my dad one Father’s Day on a new strap in a nice box.

That said, sourcing movement parts might be difficult. Likely requiring a donor movement to be sourced from the US.

Someone more knowledgeable than me will be along to advise I’m sure.

Dave

EDIT: just realised the cracks are on the dial, not the crystal. I don’t know if the dial would fall to pieces upon disassembly?
    Last edited by dforgrieve; 10th September 2020 at 21:03.

Is the back of the case hallmarked?

Hi guys thanks for the comments im more interested in the history of the watch but from what i can find these are near impossible to date accurately probably about 80-100 years old, the case is 10k gold filled.

I have found some parts on ebay Australia and I think the crown should be the onion style, the ceramic dial definitely looks cracked.

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Is the back of the case hallmarked?
    There won’t be as it’s plated. The inscription about 20 years on the inside of the caseback is the rating for the depth of the plating.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.