closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Surface Water Flood Risk

Surface Water Flood Risk

I am in the process of buying a property and the environmental searches have indicated it is in close proximity to an area with surface water flood risk. On the map, it appears that the building itself is clear, but the garden might be in a patch of "low" surface water flood risk modelled on a definition of "one event in 75 years". Surface water flooding is the flash flood event type where the water doesn't drain quick enough if there is an absolute deluge. The property isn't close to a river or the coast and I think it's a nearby brook which runs through the town, about 50m from the property.

I've googled for flood news in the local town and can only find a surface water flooding event at the local train station, well away from the property. I've also looked for historic flood alerts and the flood alert zone for the town seems to cut right through the semi I am buying with the neighbour in it and my potential property out of the zone....it literally couldn't be any more on the border!

Just wondering what anyones opinion of this is...is it cause for concern, or with appropriate questions to the vendor to make sure they've never had a problem in the 20 years they've lived there, would you not worry?

Craftsman
    Sounds very similar to our property.... similar risk assessment

Had flooded some 40 yrs before from adjacent brook. But remedial works upstream some 15 years ago means the last event was from a summer storm which cause water to run down the lane and down the drive into the house in 2007

Insurance companies only ask if property has been flooded in last 10 yrs otherwise its “normal” risk so long as you are outside this criteria

My advice - dont worry about it - its a low risk event....

Insurance industry data will be better than that of desktop enviro searches. Simply ring a good broker with the property address and ask them if any reputable insurer would be looking to put on unusual excesses. If they say no, then I would say safe to proceed

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I am in the process of buying a property and the environmental searches have indicated it is in close proximity to an area with surface water flood risk. On the map, it appears that the building itself is clear, but the garden might be in a patch of "low" surface water flood risk modelled on a definition of "one event in 75 years". Surface water flooding is the flash flood event type where the water doesn't drain quick enough if there is an absolute deluge. The property isn't close to a river or the coast and I think it's a nearby brook which runs through the town, about 50m from the property.

I've googled for flood news in the local town and can only find a surface water flooding event at the local train station, well away from the property. I've also looked for historic flood alerts and the flood alert zone for the town seems to cut right through the semi I am buying with the neighbour in it and my potential property out of the zone....it literally couldn't be any more on the border!

Just wondering what anyones opinion of this is...is it cause for concern, or with appropriate questions to the vendor to make sure they've never had a problem in the 20 years they've lived there, would you not worry?
    My house was classed as a risk when I bought it, from the brook down the hill...if that brook floods my house we would all have built an arc by then

Master
    Blog Entries
    If the adjoining semi did get flooded it would also potentially damage your property? Certainly would agree with going online and secure a few quotes using your intended address. Problem is, most(?) Reports assume/predict a substantial increase in rainfall in years to come- is the community large enough to attract flood relief schemes? There again it doesn't sound like the worst of searches?

Cheers guys...gives me some avenues to dig a bit further.

Quote Originally Posted by mattleicester View Post
    My house was classed as a risk when I bought it, from the brook down the hill...if that brook floods my house we would all have built an arc by then
    Mathis sounds very similar to the house I’m buying...the garden is a two level garden. For water to reach the house, it would have to be seriously deep and would submerge the neighbouring properties ground floors.

These flood risk event maps are a useful guide, but it is not an exact science as they are based on historic rainfall data and computer generated modelling. With climate change meaning that more extreme weather patterns likely to become the new norm, it is highly likely that these maps may be revised to show more onerous flooding at some stage than they do at present.

Our friends are just on the 'dry edge' of a flood zone, yet they were flooded several times last year due to the biblical rainfall we have had recently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattleicester View Post
    Ours is similar, although much closer. Our house has a sloping drive, whereas all the neighbours are flat...I will use them as my view on flooding risk, they will be in much more trouble earlier than me.

As said above, flooding in the last 10yrs otherwise it’s not a higher risk.