timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hulk for 20000? [emoji848]

Master

Hulk for 20,000

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CEe8sargLGy/?hl=en

Prices likely to stay high. This is what is wrong with the market. Dealers hording watches and driving up the price.
    Dealers will eventually settle and the hulk will find its level with buyers. I think above ceramic gmt and below ceramic Daytona. That is the natural historical level for a nice sub.

Craftsman
    Guys Im new-ish here too. Joined in lockdown. I have also noticed a bit of unnecessary antagonism of late. Whilst, the antagonism hasnt been directed my way yet (just a light touch of Skymans sarcasm which was well received), it didnt seem apparent earlier in the year. I appreciate there are some rules of the road that new members need to learn but for the most part a bit of courtesy goes a long way. In my case, I have shown increased enthusiasm because lockdown has really allowed me to reconnect with my long time watch hobby...not because Im desperate to buy watches, knives, speakers, bikes, fishing nets or anything on sales corner. I am finding this forum a real mine of information - Wallasey Runner, Walkerwek and Wileeeeeey are a few of my favourite contributors. Im sure Ill take a forum beating for this, but wanted to express my views.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Prices likely to stay high. This is what is wrong with the market. Dealers hording watches and driving up the price.
    Thats just bloody ridiculous. The industry in an image sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    I have also noticed a bit of unnecessary antagonism of late.

Often there is good reason for the antagonism.

Basically that guy is taking the p*** out of the buyers who are prepared to give him his 20k for each of those watches. In an ideal world buyers would refuse to pay his price and that smile might be the other way round. If no one was buying, prices would fall.

Master
    Guys Im new-ish here too. Joined in lockdown. I have also noticed a bit of unnecessary antagonism of late. Whilst, the antagonism hasnt been directed my way yet (just a light touch of Skymans sarcasm which was well received), it didnt seem apparent earlier in the year. I appreciate there are some rules of the road that new members need to learn but for the most part a bit of courtesy goes a long way. In my case, I have shown increased enthusiasm because lockdown has really allowed me to reconnect with my long time watch hobby...not because Im desperate to buy watches, knives, speakers, bikes, fishing nets or anything on sales corner. I am finding this forum a real mine of information - Wallasey Runner, Walkerwek and Wileeeeeey are a few of my favourite contributors. Im sure Ill take a forum beating for this, but wanted to express my views.

You make a good point...i have been on here for 8 years and apart from the bear pit it is normally a good friendly forum but over the last few months even Watch Talk and George and Dragon threads have ended up with some real negative comments.

I put it down to most people locked up for months on end with nothing better to do and a few older members turning more like Victor Meldrew every passing day.

Master
    To avoid confusion, may I point out again that miltonsdiamonds is (while thoroughly decent) run by relatives and their watches are nothing to do with me, the shops I run or my website.
    H

Hulk for 20,000

If we the public are willing to pay it the dealers will sell at those prices, if all dealers made a pact to price fix then thats a different story but they are just adjusting prices to the supply vs demand..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    All the hagglers and low ballers (you know who you are) must be kicking themselves now when I sold mine for 11k firm last month.
    Beautiful watch. Just didn't wear it.
    The new No date sub looks lovely but given that only the elite/special few will be able to buy one, the whole spectacle of 'New releases' is a bit pointless.
    Thanks, its still on the wrist👍🏻

well lets see who peels 20k for one wont get my 20k lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lantenac06 View Post
    I think your lack of politeness is tiresome. I was only ever trying to be helpful, and though I may be fairly new to this site, places like this are much nicer if people are polite to each other. Good day to you.
    Ignore him, it's nothing to do with you and everything to do with his own hang ups. Members like that should be kicked in my opinion, they just drive away new people and make the forum appear unwelcoming.

Guys I’m new-ish here too. Joined in lockdown. I have also noticed a bit of unnecessary antagonism of late. Whilst, the antagonism hasn’t been directed my way yet (just a light touch of Skyman’s sarcasm which was well received), it didn’t seem apparent earlier in the year. I appreciate there are some rules of the road that new members need to learn but for the most part a bit of courtesy goes a long way. In my case, I have shown increased enthusiasm because lockdown has really allowed me to reconnect with my long time watch hobby...not because I’m desperate to buy watches, knives, speakers, bikes, fishing nets or anything on sales corner. I am finding this forum a real mine of information - Wallasey Runner, Walkerwek and Wileeeeeey are a few of my favourite contributors. I’m sure I’ll take a forum beating for this, but wanted to express my views.
    Bang on IMO.
    Last edited by M1011; 3rd September 2020 at 00:22.

Blog Entries

Hulk

I was fortunate enough to get one from an official dealer in June (for list price - 7,450). I have bought it to keep and cannot believe the increase in pricing since Monday.

IMO is it worth the super inflated price, absolutely not. Is it a stunning watch, absolutely. Unfortunately I dont think weve seen the peak of the pricing curve and I wouldnt be surprised if they eventually surpass 20k!

When people pay these prices (which they will) what interests me is; do they buy them as a hopeful investment, or buy as an enthusiast because they cannot get one. Either way it contributes to the problem which has been prevalent within the 2nd hand market prior to the Hulk situation (within the grey market). Unfortunately its how it is and thats not going to change. I wish everyone could get the dream watch for the list price but this isnt reality and bleating about it doesnt change that Im afraid!

Crazy times people! Stay safe and keep smiling.

Master

Hulk for 20,000

I had one from AD in 2016,sold it for 7k, missed it so I repurchased in October 2019 for 11.5k, a pretty premium that only a few would have paid. Glad I swallowed my pride and admitted I made a mistake by selling my first one.
    Last edited by ac11111; 3rd September 2020 at 08:26.

Blog Entries

Hulk mistake

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    I had one from AD in 2016,sold it for 7k, missed it so I repurchased in October 2019 for 11.5k, a pretty premium that only a few would have paid. Glad I swallowed my pride and admitted I made a mistake by selling my first one.
    I wont be making that mistake of selling mine but I can assure you have have many a tail down the years that mirror your situation. Awesome that you bought it back and I suppose the upshot is that youve more than made the money back you have lost (in a perverse way). 👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel76 View Post
    I wont be making that mistake of selling mine but I can assure you have have many a tail down the years that mirror your situation. Awesome that you bought it back and I suppose the upshot is that youve more than made the money back you have lost (in a perverse way). 👍
    Yes you are right, I also think in that round about man maths way, that I lost out by having one at retail and then buying it back at big premium. So the recent spike up has definitely fully alleviated that now!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I feel very sad for selling my LVc to a well known watch seller four years ago, for ~5K. A lot seemed to happen between 2016 and 2019/20.

( In my WISdom I bought another LVc privately last year for an awful lot more than that. Lets hope I learn my lesson )
    You sold one to me too Martyn... which is still proudly part of the collection and worn regularly

It is interesting that sometimes paying a premium works in your favour over time. The problem is you don't know if it will work at the time you part with your money. I bought a white dial Ceramic Daytona for 13k+ and sold it on after a while. I think having paid what was a 3k to 4k premium at that time played on my mind too much. You can't get one below 20k now and most dealers want nearer to 25k so I am unlikely to ever replace it. Same thing happened with the Omega Snoopy, had two of those around the 8.5k Mark and that damn thing seems to gain 1k a month, currently up around 35k.

So when people on here state that they would never pay a penny over list, and there are a fair few, it sometimes works in your favour. With annual price rises the gap on that Daytona would have been substantially reduced.

I wonder if the above man maths would work on a GMT BLRO?

Craftsman
    Have to admit, if I was to be able to get 20k for my Hulk Id sell it & use that money for a WG Daytona on Oysterflex right away.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Diesel76;5521398]I was fortunate enough to get one from an official dealer in June (for list price - 7,450). I have bought it to keep and cannot believe the increase in pricing since Monday.

IMO is it worth the super inflated price, absolutely not. Is it a stunning watch, absolutely. Unfortunately I don’t think we’ve seen the peak of the pricing curve and I wouldn’t be surprised if they eventually surpass 20k! When people pay these prices (which they will) what interests me is; do they buy them as a hopeful investment, or buy as an enthusiast because they cannot get one.

Hopeful investors in my experience, basically just hoping they have the next “Paul Newman” Daytona or Milsub phenomenon, just like the buyers who pick up the white Milgauss because it was not popular and therefore a sure fire money maker in the years ahead or the Z Blue Milgauss owners hopeful every year of it being discontinued because it is deemed as quirky and un-Rolex, another sure fire money maker.

The only winners for the Hulk in the short term are the buyers who bought in low at the start, everyone else who paid over RRP is playing catch up and probably what we are seeing price wise on the hulk but could just as easily be any of the sport range is secondary dealers who paid over the odds looking to manipulate the market to give them the return they chase on every watch they obtain.

If potential buyers think they missed out, turn your attention to another watch, 15k-20k+for a Steel sports is laughable.

The Hulk is essentially now old news, it has been superseded by a return and many would possibly declare better looking Watch in every detail with the new LV. The people who have bought the Hulk to spin out a financial return need to ensure the market desire remains on the Hulk etc and in such situations many many available Secondary pieces will get withdrawn for a while to control numbers. A flood to the market, would kill the 20k and over asking prices and in reality the new LV release could just as easily kill the Hulk silly season. Would not surprise me either if the original Kermit 16610lv started to take a small hit on the Secondary market, the 2003/04 will always command a premium but anything else in the 05,06 etc could be impacted by the new release.

In reality, if you have no skin in the game, it is just popcorn and sit back to watch the madness that is currently Rolex.
    Last edited by Flasher; 3rd September 2020 at 09:11. Reason: Error

I am trying to understand where the 20k figure has come from for a Hulk.

WF who's prices are always inflated have one currently up for 18.450, I imagine anyone one wanting to sell one to a dealer would be offered around 12-14k.

Happy to stand corrected.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It is interesting that sometimes paying a premium works in your favour over time. The problem is you don't know if it will work at the time you part with your money. I bought a white dial Ceramic Daytona for 13k+ and sold it on after a while. I think having paid what was a 3k to 4k premium at that time played on my mind too much. You can't get one below 20k now and most dealers want nearer to 25k so I am unlikely to ever replace it. Same thing happened with the Omega Snoopy, had two of those around the 8.5k Mark and that damn thing seems to gain 1k a month, currently up around 35k.

So when people on here state that they would never pay a penny over list, and there are a fair few, it sometimes works in your favour. With annual price rises the gap on that Daytona would have been substantially reduced.

Every time you mention the silver snoopy i weep...i was offered one at 8k and wanted it for sentimental reasons and would probably never had sold it and it is my only one watch regret...not the increase in value but the fact i wanted the watch and was hung up on not paying above RRP.

Craftsman

Man Math

That would be an interesting add to the School curriculum, Man Math, we would probably all pass that exam!

It is always that decision you sometimes make when watches you have are reaching for the stars in price. Sold my Patrizzi Daytona a couple of years ago and gave me back a sizeable profit on my outlay but always knew that to replace in the future would cost me a sizeable amount which I knew I would never do. I gave myself one rule and that was to never buy a model I had previously sold. The thought of having owned a particular watch, sold it and then have had to pay an increased amount to obtain again, was not enjoyable.

It is all a play of supply and demand and a lot of speculation. Feels like there is the need to make the Hulk worth more than it actually does, now that it's being discontinued.

If I had 20k to spend on a watch, I would probably look for a AP RO, far better looking, versatile and with much more heritage, imho...

But then again, if I had 20k for a hobby, that would be for travelling.

Inviato dal mio LG-H870 utilizzando Tapatalk

Craftsman

A couple of months ago, in anticipation of the discontinuation of the Hulk I considered making a pure financial play along the lines of what you suggest - buy the cheapest pre-owned Hulk I could find (full set) at a premium and then flog it in the current frenzy at a bigger premium. I talked myself out of it. I have a real aversion to paying over RRP for watches (and for non-Rolex, an aversion to paying RRP). I figured that by doing the flip I would be perpetuating the problem in the market. I paid a hefty premium for the Batman when it was discontinued and its pissed me off ever since. I just cant connect with the watch properly because I feel like I overpaid.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    Have to admit, if I was to be able to get 20k for my Hulk Id sell it & use that money for a WG Daytona on Oysterflex right away.
    You could buy at 20k if you like. The sale price to a dealer could be substantially less - perhaps 10K-12K depending on age (an educated guess)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    You sold one to me too Martyn... which is still proudly part of the collection and worn regularly
    Must be a different Martyn. I’ve only had 2 Hulk (and own one). There is a martynjc

Re the Hulk: 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...

A couple of months ago, in anticipation of the discontinuation of the Hulk I considered making a pure financial play along the lines of what you suggest - buy the cheapest pre-owned Hulk I could find (full set) at a premium and then flog it in the current frenzy at a bigger premium. I talked myself out of it. I have a real aversion to paying over RRP for watches (and for non-Rolex, an aversion to paying RRP). I figured that by doing the flip I would be perpetuating the problem in the market. I paid a hefty premium for the Batman when it was discontinued and its pissed me off ever since. I just cant connect with the watch properly because I feel like I overpaid.

Interesting!

Its only going to take Rolex increasing supply or trends going towards something else for these to fall off a cliff edge from where they are now. If I had one at retail Id be very happy with it but no way would I pay double or more.

At 20k I would be buying something white gold instead. WG Daytona on Oysterflex, a blue dial BLRO or a Smurf. People need to control their emotions when buying, their FOMO is costing them thousands.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    At 20k I would be buying something white gold instead. WG Daytona on Oysterflex, a blue dial BLRO or a Smurf. People need to control their emotions when buying, their FOMO is costing them thousands.
    +1 I can think of plenty of nice precious metal watches id have in front of the hulk at 20k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    People need to control their emotions when buying, their FOMO is costing them thousands.
    People buy what they want, their money etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy4389 View Post
    +1 I can think of plenty of nice precious metal watches id have in front of the hulk at 20k

I agree. I cant see the lure of buying at double the price unless you seriously want to keep it forever. Cant see how at 20,000 you would ever do anything except lose money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    I agree. I can’t see the lure of buying at double the price unless you seriously want to keep it forever. Can’t see how at 20,000 you would ever do anything except lose money.

I tend to agree with this specific example at 20k, however it’s that logic that has seen me not buy Daytona’s at 10k that are now 18k, and not buy nice 5513’s at 5k that are now 12k......

So as per the post above, as much as I don’t like doing it, if I want a watch and it’s available and it’s a nice one, get it and enjoy it. They don’t often get cheaper, but if that does happen don’t let it bother you as it’ll have depreciated significantly less that the car sitting on your drive.

At 20k I would be buying something white gold instead. WG Daytona on Oysterflex, a blue dial BLRO or a Smurf.
    I would agree but you will always have people that want to follow the current trends!

I agree with this, but in all honesty 20k might not get you too much in WG. Some of those on your list are much more expensive even second hand. You might get a Daytona on a Oysterflex, but I think you would struggle to get one on a bracelet. Might be wrong, usually am with prices

I agree with this, but in all honesty 20k might not get you too much in WG. Some of those on your list are much more expensive even second hand. You might get a Daytona on a Oysterflex, but I think you would struggle to get one on a bracelet. Might be wrong, usually am with prices
    You're right, 20k is the right ballpark but still not enough. The WG Daytona on Oysterflex is 23,800. The Smurf was always terrible on resale and could be had for 20k but even the cheapest in the EU on C24 now is 27k with one moron asking 45k. Disco fever/hype train. For the BLRO I'm way out, I forgot to add the bracelet cost into it which lumps it up to 30k.

Craftsman
    To be fair I think Id rather have a black dial and save myself 12k but each to there own !

Master
    Watchfinder are currently offering 12-12.5k for a 2016 full set if anyones thinking of moving theirs on.

Hulk for 20000?

The funny thing is you tend to pay a hefty premium for rarity and exclusivity etc. the laugh is that there are 214 hulks currently for sale on chrono24 alone (12,200 to 29,000), so its neither of these things.
    Instagram pics like this one that someone posted earlier dont help either. Quite bizarre.
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 3rd September 2020 at 18:26.

Master
    214 hulks to be shared amongst a world population of 7.8bn makes it fairly rare.

Even in America with a population of 330m it is still pretty rare and you can bet half of them will end up locked away in a safe making them rare still.

Hulk for 20000?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    214 hulks to be shared amongst a world population of 7.8bn makes it fairly rare.

Even in America with a population of 330m it is still pretty rare and you can bet half of them will end up locked away in a safe making them rare still.
    To put it in perspective - there are 19 Tudor black bay reds on ch24. The Hulk is anything but rare. They are expensive but thats a different thing.

Paul Thorpe posted a nice video about this phenomenon of high inflated
    prices. For those who arent aware of API (Artificial Price Inflation): https://youtu.be/LfM1WAT9_ZY

Anyone who thinks that Rolex sportsmodels are rare, just need to go to a watch fair.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveWatches View Post
    Paul Thorpe posted a nice video about this phenomenon of high inflated
    prices. For those who aren’t aware of API (Artificial Price Inflation): https://youtu.be/LfM1WAT9_ZY

Anyone who thinks that Rolex sportsmodels are rare, just need to go to a watch fair.
    He touches on the price of the hulk amongst over things.

https://youtu.be/hzjPDIPmdR0

Quote Originally Posted by Essexstu View Post
    Thanks, its still on the wrist
    Good for you Stu, now you can wear it, enjoy it like I did with a big grin knowing that the hassle of the bank transfer was more than worth it!
    All the best mate,
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Watchfinder are currently offering 12-12.5k for a 2016 full set if anyones thinking of moving theirs on.

Im not selling mine (sold my first in error and bought another at list) but looked out of curiosity with WF.

They offered me between 9600 - 9900 today.

Master
    Ive a 2017 date sub that I sold to a friend a while back but have taken it back in part exchange of another watch I sold him yesterday. Thought Id get some values. One firm offered me 8k and WF 6.5k - tells me enough about their current buying.

Is there any reason people are using foul language in WT?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sold mine for 5kish ages ago. Lusted for the damn thing for ages but then when I finally got my mitts on it I never wore it much and had a love / hate relationship with it.

Its prob the only Rolex I have considered repurchasing so was sad this week to see it discontinued.....however just now seeing real wrist shots of the new black face version has surprised me a little. It looks quite stunning and more wearable (I thought it looked dull on the Rolex mockups)

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Sold mine for 5kish ages ago. Lusted for the damn thing for ages but then when I finally got my mitts on it I never wore it much and had a love / hate relationship with it.

Its prob the only Rolex I have considered repurchasing so was sad this week to see it discontinued.....however just now seeing real wrist shots of the new black face version has surprised me a little. It looks quite stunning and more wearable (I thought it looked dull on the Rolex mockups)
    The mock ups looked bloody awful. Wrist shots certainly look very good