closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: STS swiss time services....still worth it?

Master

STS swiss time services....still worth it?

As per the subject.
    I am looking for work to be completed on my grandads 70s omega constellation.
    Work would revolve around a cleanup. A full service etc.
    I'm awaiting their reply but wanted to get the consensus on the them. I cant recall seeing any threads recently that throws any doubt on them.
    Ta muchly.

If you want a service and general tidying of the case and bracelet give Simon Freese a call. He used to be the service manager at STS but is now working for himself. Try STS too and see how they compare on prices. I can't imagine there's any difference in the level of work. As far as I can tell pretty much everyone with a pre-moon Speedy or other high end Omega went with Simon when he left STS but he does all kinds of watches. If you want a razor sharp case refinish on a lapping machine and brand new service parts, go to STS.
    "A man of little significance"

Grand Master
    I’m still taking on a very limited number of jobs owing to other commitments, I may be able to help but I would need more information.

PM me if interested, I do have form for this type of work.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I asked Simon if he would service my Omega Marine Chronometer but he referred me to Tony Coe at Swiss Time Services. It spent the lockdown with them. It was expensive but it came back running & looking like new.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I asked Simon if he would service my Omega Marine Chronometer but he referred me to Tony Coe at Swiss Time Services. It spent the lockdown with them. It was expensive but it came back running & looking like new.
    TBF the marine chronometer is a different kettle of fish and I have been told that only STS has the parts, although very expensive. Mine has gone wonky and a new movement and service will cost more than what I paid for the watch.

Craftsman
    They are local to me and pre-covid I popped in and received excellent unbiased advice,which I took them up on.
    From my experience they may take a while, but the service is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    TBF the marine chronometer is a different kettle of fish and I have been told that only STS has the parts, although very expensive. Mine has gone wonky and a new movement and service will cost more than what I paid for the watch.
    Plus Tony, the owner of STS (and SWISSTIME, the division that services the battery-powered stuff), is the only one with the expertise to work on the Marine Chronometers, Montreals and other experimental electronic stuff from the 1970s. I had my Marine Chronometer serviced by SWISSTIME too, sorting the mechanical side cost £800 or so.

Master
    I used Omega Service Centre to service my 1964 Constellation.

They did an excellent job, it may be worth contacting them for a quote.

Grand Master
    OP is giving no details, a Constellation from that era could be a tuning fork electronic, an early quartz, or one of two mechanical movements. This has a huge bearing on who would be able to work on it.

I’ve heard nothing from the OP, I’m v. busy with other stuff (not watch related) so I’ve decided I’m not interested in the job. If its a straightforward mechanical I could've sorted it out to a high standard, I’ve done plenty and I still have a fair stash of parts.

If the watch is a tuning fork hummer or quartz I would definitely recommend STS, parts availability is a big problem and they’re the best option. If its a mechanical there are plenty if cheaper options.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    STS said that that couldn't service my 1976 LCD Speedmaster and sent it back to Omega - who simply dropped a new movement in and replaced the pushers, didn't touch the case. Must have taken them all of 5 minutes. 6 weeks later - that will be £500 sir.
    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Think yourself lucky it could be fixed! Owning old LCD or any quartz/ electronic watches can be expensive, personally I would never invest money in owning one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Plus Tony, the owner of STS (and SWISSTIME, the division that services the battery-powered stuff), is the only one with the expertise to work on the Marine Chronometers, Montreals and other experimental electronic stuff from the 1970s. I had my Marine Chronometer serviced by SWISSTIME too, sorting the mechanical side cost £800 or so.
    I think you mean Swisstec

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I’m pretty sure STS is Swiss Time Services

STS group includes Swiss Time Services and Swisstec. All based in the same place.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I was so close!

I only use Simon Freese, because I have known him for a very long time and have complete trust in his level of expertise.

About to get my Speedy 125 back, can’t wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post

About to get my Speedy 125 back, can’t wait!

Look forward to seeing those pics

Master
    Sorry for the delay in replying to this thread, work has swamped me but ive been keeping an eye on the thread. Lots of useful info so thank you to all.
    walkerwerk, ive sent you an pm, :)