closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: FORMER Glory.

Craftsman

FORMER Glory.

I have acquired this beaten beauty and would love some guidance on the correct way to move forward.

It is my intention to have this fully renovated so would also be happy to take advice on who or where people would send it and what I shoud be asking.
    I will also need to source the correct bracelet. The one in situ is original rolex so I may be able to offset against correct 2Tone.
    Its a new chapter for me so please be gentle.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reminds me of Jocke's garage work beater!

Can you clarify if the green-ish hue to the right hand side of the bezel and also the crown itself is an artefact of the photo or if that's really there?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I would send it to rolex for a full service, request that the dial and hands are left but the plexiglass, bezel, and crown are replaced.
    Send as head only and id ask for it not to be polished (unless you REALLY want it done)

Set about looking for a TT bracelet and sell the steel to fund it.

Did you inherit it or purchase?

Craftsman
    Its in a pickle and thats about my level

Craftsman
    It was gifted by a friend for services rendered. I did a big favour not expecting anything in return and he give me this.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Id go down the rolex service route still and sort the bezel plexiglass and crown out.

Brass crown can't be right, presumably aftermarket?

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Personally, I would send it to rolex for a full service, request that the dial and hands are left but the plexiglass, bezel, and crown are replaced.
    Send as head only and id ask for it not to be polished (unless you REALLY want it done)

I agree with this. Although personally I’d get the case refinished (heresy I know).

Ps - won’t be cheap.

Craftsman
    It was serviced by rolex mid 80s. Apparently. The previous owner had it for 40 years. He informed me he used to play conkers with it.

How did you end up with this particular watch out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    How did you end up with this particular watch out of interest?
    It was gifted by a friend for services rendered. I did a big favour not expecting anything in return and he give me this.

Would Rolex not have a modern day equivalent of the bracelet. If the head was sent in for the work described above to be done, could you not ask them if they have a TT bracelet that would fit.

Won't be cheap, but most second hand ones will be old and heavily stretched now anyway, so you may end up paying someone to restore it.

Worth asking...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    What a cool gift! I was scratching my head wondering why you would buy a watch needing refurbishment if you weren't familiar with the type of work, but now it makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by deepdivedaz View Post
    I have acquired this beaten beauty and would love some guidance on the correct way to move forward.

It is my intention to have this fully renovated so would also be happy to take advice on who or where people would send it and what I shoud be asking.
    I will also need to source the correct bracelet. The one in situ is original rolex so I may be able to offset against correct 2Tone.
    Its a new chapter for me so please be gentle.
    Were I you, I would want to know the difference in cost between selling this one to fund buying an example that is in the condition you require, versus the breathtaking sum that Rolex will bend you over for to throw most of your watch away and replace it with new bits.

Master
    Rolex service mentality.... Similar to Trigger's broom?

Enjoy the watch, it would be good to restore it to glory! If affordable that is.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Were I you, I would want to know the difference in cost between selling this one to fund buying an example that is in the condition you require, versus the breathtaking sum that Rolex will bend you over for to throw most of your watch away and replace it with new bits.
    It's certainly an option. Sell that two tone and put the money towards a nice used steel DJ.

Rolex do change any parts they see fit, often dial, hands etc.

If going the renovation route why not try a Rolex authorised independent?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Obviously a nice gesture - but if you want to restore it, a very very expensive one!!!

Craftsman
    I've never owned or overly longed for a DJ but as its circa birth era and was a nice thought im thinking an economical refurb possibly an independent and maybe a nice leather strap.

I’d send to a good independent for movement service, plexi and crown. Leave the case as it is - part of the story is the chap that used it for 40 years with abandon ! And put it on a nice leather strap to match the dial. You then have a nice dress watch with history. And the costs are likely to be more sensible than work on the case and bracelet

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I would be tempted to send it to Duncan (thewatchbloke) get it serviced, new crown and crystal and put it on a tasteful leather strap, as a gift you could wear it proudly and know it hasn't set you back big money..

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I'd accept that it is exactly what it is. So I'd get it cleaned, serviced, give it a new crown and crystal (if it doesn't polish out) and then enjoy a wonderfully stealth beater. Rolex's reputation is based upon being able to take this much of a battering and still be a perfectly viable watch. A little work and you have a watch that you can just wear without a second thought. There's always an indefinable difference between something that's been unused for a long time and something that is in regular use and that can give the watch an eerie beauty.
    Last edited by M4tt; 27th August 2020 at 10:59.

Grand Master
    Another vote for sending it to an indy (not me!).

Rolex would charge eye- watering money to make it like new again but you’d end up with a triggers broom that had cost a lot. There are arguments for and against.

I’ve never taken one this age apart, but generic ‘correct’ crystals, crowns and pendant tubes are available. Someone with experience of this movement should be able to sort it out to a decent standard. If you aim to get it functional and waterproof on a leather strap I think that’s possibly the best compromise. I’ve seen after- market bezels for sale, I don’t know what the quality is like, but if you wanted to sharpen the watch up it may be worth considering. Likewise the case could be refinished, but you’re taking the watch in a different direction and trading sharpness for patina/ originality.

It really does depend on what you want at the end of it, the two extremes are, send it to Rolex for the full treatment and have a couple of thousand quid ready to spend, or spend £500 with a independent and have a generic crystal and crown and keep it on the steel bracelet or find a aftermarket two tone or nice leather.
    I would go for the latter myself but it’s up to you.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Update.
    Back off, its a 1965.
    Not as bad as first thought.
    All is working in a fashion. More info to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I would be tempted to send it to Duncan (thewatchbloke) get it serviced, new crown and crystal and put it on a tasteful leather strap, as a gift you could wear it proudly and know it hasn't set you back big money..

Best advice. A replacement 2nd hand TT strap will cost over £500 and it will be worn.

If the existing strap is genuine Rolex, you can flip that for a few hundred, to help cover the cost of the service.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

This for me too. That way it’s still 100% Rolex. Might cost a bit more but it depends what you want. A 100% Rolex watch or a Rolex with aftermarket parts on it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    It was given to me as a gift for a favour.

Its at an independent and being assessed. Initial feedback is grinding slightly but functioning. From previous owner it was serviced mid 80s.

I'm stalking for a 2tone bracelet and new bezel. I want to keep it original but sharpen it up sympathetically.

Time isn't a problem so may pop onto a nice leather until the correct bracelet becomes available.

Any direction on straps and tangs would be appreciated.

I have a modest collection and a couple limited edition watches but this has really stirred my interest. I fear it may have started something.