closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex Website - New 2020 Watches

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Personally, I think this dial and handset combination in the silver version of the new OP41 looks superb. A nice vintage flavour to it. I am sold.
    I do like that dial colour and I also really like the yellow option, but I'm not keen on the double batons at all.

I much prefer the symmetry of the single batons, as seen on the now discontinued white dial OP39.

Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    I do like that dial colour and I also really like the yellow option, but I'm not keen on the double batons at all.

I much prefer the symmetry of the single batons, as seen on the now discontinued white dial OP39.

Yes. Those double batons make the dial look cluttered. Looks like they made too many batons and had to get rid of them somehow! Agree with you on the much cleaner and neat op39 dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Has anyone actually measured the 0P41 with callipers? Given that the DJ41 is really 39.5mm and they called it 41 for the benefit of people who don’t know much about watches and have ‘size anxiety’ about anything much under 42mm. Could this be similar?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    IMHO if someone paid £4,750 for an OP41 instead of the far more refined Grand Seiko SD/Hi Beat at the same price then they need their head tested but different strokes for different folks. The GS will have the colour variety but with far better finished dials, indices, handsets, cases and bracelets. Apart from that they are similar ;)
    I have had (past tense) several GS, but never an OP. Enough reason for me. Change is as good as a rest, and at that price point there is no need on my part to give it a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I agree Ryan but it's all about the brand for the majority of people. I have a few mates that own a fair few Rolex, Breitling, Omega and Panerai and they don't know a thing about them as horological pieces, just that they're the brands to be seen with and they look nice.

I've talked to them a few times about Grand Seiko and they just dismiss it out-of-hand. Spending thousands on a Seiko is never going to be a consideration for 'normal' people.
    I have a friend who ones a hulk and a colleague with a sub date.

Both own them as they see them as the brand to flash on the wrist and a sound investment.

Unfortunately to the majority of people this is exactly what Rolex is about and neither would consider owing or wearing a GS.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I have a friend who ones a hulk and a colleague with a sub date.

Both own them as they see them as the brand to flash on the wrist and a sound investment.

Unfortunately to the majority of people this is exactly what Rolex is about and neither would consider owing or wearing a GS.
    Yeah a lot of watch wearing people wouldn't even know Seiko from Grand Seiko and they'd just think the GS one is wearing is just another Seiko.

Rolex have successfully marketed themselves as an aspirational brand and thus a large majority of Rolex buyers think of it as a milestone when they are able to buy one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watch.aholic View Post
    .... a large majority of Rolex buyers think of it as a milestone when they are able to buy one.
    Most of us think its a milestone to buy a Rolex from an AD these days.. all things considered

Personally, I think this dial and handset combination in the silver version of the new OP41 looks superb. A nice vintage flavour to it. I am sold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I love everything about it .....

.....except the double 3,6,9 indices. I can’t get my head round those

The first few times I saw this photo I didn't even notice the new batons. Once seen....can't be unseen. I suppose potential purchasers will need to see it in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post

.....except the double 3,6,9 indices. I can’t get my head round those

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post

.....except the double 3,6,9 indices. I can’t get my head round those - just like the Air King!

Reading this thread just makes me weep when I think back to 2012 and selling my mint 14060M 2007 model for £3k...

Urghhhhh...

I was so dead set on getting the hulk - now it looks like the AD is going to get me the new Kermit instead. I will warm to it I’m sure but it feels odd when the one you want gets removed from the catalogue

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Agree...would be very surprised if it is the same bezel as the hulk, but certainly looks like it from the early pics assuming they are real!
    Looked darker in the pics more like the Tudor Harrods. A deep olive green would be nice.

The first few times I saw this photo I didn't even notice the new batons. Once seen....can't be unseen. I suppose potential purchasers will need to see it in real life.
    Ditto... Even I missed that and only after reading a comment realised it's there and now cannot unsee it... Also if you look closely it's actually a single baton with a stripe in the middle to make it look like there's two of them...I wonder why they did it...a single marker would've surely looked much better.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by watch.aholic View Post
    Ditto... Even I missed that and only after reading a comment realised it's there and now cannot unsee it... Also if you look closely it's actually a single baton with a stripe in the middle to make it look like there's two of them...I wonder why they did it...a single marker would've surely looked much better.
    I'm not really interested in the model so hadn't looked closely. Now you've pointed it out the pic above looks really quite nasty, and very cheap to my eyes. I went over to the Rolex site hoping for something with better resolution, if you look at this page https://www.rolex.com/watches/oyster...4300-0001.html and scroll down a little to the larger pic of the bare dial it looks quite different to the pic shown in this thread. Might still be a single piece of material but looks nothing like a thick black lump of a line as per the pic in the thread, rather more like a finely fluted furrow.

Wouldn't suit me but that is lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    I’m actually more excited about the yellow dial op than the sub LV, I’ve requested both though as well as an OP each for my wife and mother in law.
    Casually buying 4 Rolex, I'm slightly envious!

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    The OP36 turquoise with easylink would be my best value choice of the new bunch.
    Agreed. If not for the double batons that watch would be sublime. The batons may grow on me over time.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    IMHO if someone paid £4,750 for an OP41 instead of the far more refined Grand Seiko SD/Hi Beat at the same price then they need their head tested but different strokes for different folks. The GS will have the colour variety but with far better finished dials, indices, handsets, cases and bracelets. Apart from that they are similar ;)
    Seems odd to come to a Rolex thread about the new Rolex releases just to point out your preference for GS and how anyone buying a Rolex needs "their head tested"...

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Has anyone actually measured the 0P41 with callipers? Given that the DJ41 is really 39.5mm and they called it 41 for the benefit of people who don’t know much about watches and have ‘size anxiety’ about anything much under 42mm. Could this be similar?
    Seems they missed a trick not calling it the DJ42 then?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Reading this thread just makes me weep when I think back to 2012 and selling my mint 14060M 2007 model for £3k...

Urghhhhh...
    Yep, since 1998 I’ve hankered after a Sub Date, after meeting someone who inspired me and he owned one (telling me he’d got his when he professionally qualified). I was captivated with it.

A few years ago when they were regularly available in SC, I started a thread on the cost difference between date and ND models, and the consensus was that £5k got you a mint ND and £5.5k got you a mint Sub Date. As I say, on any given day you could log into SC and there’d be one for sale. I decided it was too much to pay at the time - regretfully - but I still have a deep urge to own one, one day.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

Seems odd to come to a Rolex thread about the new Rolex releases just to point out your preference for GS and how anyone buying a Rolex needs "their head tested"...

Same thread I posted how the new Sub ND was nearly perfect and I'd get one of those

Master
    Just found a thread of mine from 2010.

The prices quoted here are painful... and remember, there were no waiting lists and discount was standard (I got 15% off my first Rolex; a GMTIIc, brand new from an AD that I had no relationship with; I simply emailed them with the price I wanted to pay, and they agreed, and I collected it that weekend).

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ighlight=Rolex

I also love the dial, I’ve been thinking about getting an OP for an upcoming personal milestone for a while and this one really sings to me.

If only they offered it in 39... In principle, it’s all in how it wears but not sure that’s possible to work out without purchasing, even though it’s not a sports model.

A couple of years ago I remember nearly buying a BB36, I tried it on and felt it was too small, tried a BB41, thought it was too big and had exactly the same thoughts regarding 38/9 being ideal.

I guess this must be an affliction common to the Rolex family

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Casually buying 4 Rolex, I'm slightly envious!

Agreed. If not for the double batons that watch would be sublime. The batons may grow on me over time.

Seems they missed a trick not calling it the DJ42 then?
    Lots of twaddle there.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Just found a thread of mine from 2010.

The prices quoted here are painful... and remember, there were no waiting lists and discount was standard (I got 15% off my first Rolex; a GMTIIc, brand new from an AD that I had no relationship with; I simply emailed them with the price I wanted to pay, and they agreed, and I collected it that weekend).

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ighlight=Rolex
    Urghhhhh, it hurts reading threads like this lol...

Jeez imagine been able to walk into a Rolex AD, try on a Sub ND and walk out with 15% off a Sub ND today lol...

Clear to see where the design inspiration came from....

Hahaha! Those Pagani's will be selling like hotcakes now :)

Craftsman

Inages

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    It looks the same shade as Hulk.
    Which is the biggest problem with Hulk.
    More images available : https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-s...v-green-watch/

Looks stunning.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post

Looks stunning.
    Mashes the overly broad-shouldered, ugly duckling Hulk.

Wonder how long till Everest and RubberB produce a 21mm ...

Lots of twaddle there.
    Still following me around with your little comments?

I notice you didn't have the decency to respond when I messaged you directly about your last cryptic little message 2 days ago ("You’ll get to understand" ?!). Just like you backed right off when I called you out on your bull about speed posting. All bark no bite it seems. Grow up.

Master

Looks stunning.
    Like a hulk but slightly worse

Craftsman

Certainly does.

Mashes the overly broad-shouldered, ugly duckling Hulk.
    It certainly does. A lot of talk on Hulk values only going in one price direction but it is pretty clear that the new LV is a true modern classic upgrade on the original 2003 release and in my eyes, shows why the Hulk was unwanted for years until some internet hype came along. Nothing is guaranteed regards values and the bulky Supercase Sports could be the models which start to buck the trend of every Rolex rising in value.

The same internet, Instagram influencers or whatever these talentless people call themselves which created the Hulk etc hype will undoubtedly move on to the next newer releases and these will be the models everyone will be after because who wants to be seen wearing the outdated! That will leave the market with buyers who really like the fat case or buyers who want the upgraded better proportion with the return to the Classic lines.

Time will literally tell which way the Supercase value goes and its place within the marketplace now the hype has moved on to the newer models.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Still following me around with your little comments?

I notice you didn't have the decency to respond when I messaged you directly about your last cryptic little message 2 days ago ("You’ll get to understand" ?!). Just like you backed right off when I called you out on your bull about speed posting. All bark no bite it seems. Grow up.
    Mate, I have no desire to communicate with you personally, so please desist with the unwelcome PMs. Equally your banal and ingratiating comments on forum fmro. Just up your game.
    Last edited by Skyman; 1st September 2020 at 20:02.

Craftsman

Reminds me alot of this dial wise, am I the only one?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Urghhhhh, it hurts reading threads like this lol...

Jeez imagine been able to walk into a Rolex AD, try on a Sub ND and walk out with 15% off a Sub ND today lol...
    I got 15% off my SubC date in 2012

Mate, I have no desire to communicate with you personally, so please desist with the unwelcome PMs. Equally your banal and ingratiating comments on forum fmro. Just up your game.
    Quite a substantial edit there, seems you’re mostly interested in posturing based on the edit.

I sent you one message ever, not multiple, in a friendly tone, after your latest spout of nonsense so as not to continue spamming up the thread. So more pathetic bull from you, I expect nothing less at this stage.

You’re the one with an issue here. Stop quoting me with your nonsense little comments if you don’t want to communicate. Notice how I never initiate the conversation with you? Feel free to follow my lead.

Master
    It certainly does. A lot of talk on Hulk values only going in one price direction but it is pretty clear that the new LV is a true modern classic upgrade on the original 2003 release and in my eyes, shows why the Hulk was unwanted for years until some internet hype came along. Nothing is guaranteed regards values and the bulky Supercase Sports could be the models which start to buck the trend of every Rolex rising in value.

The same internet, Instagram influencers or whatever these talentless people call themselves which created the Hulk etc hype will undoubtedly move on to the next newer releases and these will be the models everyone will be after because who wants to be seen wearing the outdated! That will leave the market with buyers who really like the fat case or buyers who want the upgraded better proportion with the return to the Classic lines.

Time will literally tell which way the Supercase value goes and its place within the marketplace now the hype has moved on to the newer models.
    I'd agree with that in general but think the Hulk will have a bit of a cult following.
    Some people are still fans of the Austin Princess.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I'd agree with that in general but think the Hulk will have a bit of a cult following.
    Some people are still fans of the Austin Princess.
    You can say what you like about the supercase, whilst the refreshed models might look a little sleeker none of them has a dial that catches the sunlight like the Hulk’s green sunburst.

Master
    Never understood the green sunburst dial of the Hulk. Rarely matches anything clothes-wise, looks garish, and is far too ‘look at me’ imho. And that’s saying it even in comparison to the striking but still subtle 116619LB Smurf.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Never understood the green sunburst dial of the Hulk. Rarely matches anything clothes-wise, looks garish, and is far too ‘look at me’ imho. And that’s saying it even in comparison to the striking but still subtle 116619LB Smurf.
    Totally agree, black dial and blue/green bezel all day long

Master
    I guess I am lucky that I like my hulks sunburst dial and have a new sub date 40mm with all the stickers still on. I have put my name down for both new sub date and Gerry bezel version. Just see how long it takes to arrive and see one in person before passing judgement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Time to grab the soon to be sought after classic black or white dialled Oyster Perpetual 39, a short lived model
    I agree, I think they will be very desirable. I didn't have the means but the white OP39 was pretty much my favourite watch in the now-previous lineup.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I agree, I think they will be very desirable. I didn't have the means but the white OP39 was pretty much my favourite watch in the now-previous lineup.
    Likewise and was going to be my 40th present in a bit under two years. I'll have to rethink that one!

I have a ceramic LV/'Hulk', a WG Blue Sub.'Smurf' and a Bi-Metal Blue/'Bluesy'.

Trust me, the one that literally screeeeeeams 'look at me' is the two-tone, the 'Hulk' is the shy virgin sister by comparison honestly!!!

(If I knew how to paste a pic' of Swiss Tony here I would've done!!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I have a ceramic LV/'Hulk', a WG Blue Sub.'Smurf' and a Bi-Metal Blue/'Bluesy'.

Trust me, the one that literally screeeeeeams 'look at me' is the two-tone, the 'Hulk' is the shy virgin sister by comparison honestly!!!

(If I knew how to paste a pic' of Swiss Tony here I would've done!!)
    I don’t disagree with your view on the Bluesy either. It is proper 80s gash and yet Rolex use it more often in Sub adverts than any other model. Sunburst dials are synonymous with many fashion quartz watches imho.

Master
    I don’t disagree with your view on the Bluesy either. It is proper 80s gash and yet Rolex use it more often in Sub adverts than any other model. Sunburst dials are synonymous with many fashion quartz watches imho.

Ouch...

Craftsman
    The green sunburst dial of the Hulk is indeed a work of art, the problem as I've always seen it is there is no question to which the answer is "a bright green Rolex"!

The orig Kermit had just the right pop of colour to be interesting without being garish.

Master
    This was a pretty decent chat about the releases.

https://youtu.be/hzjPDIPmdR0

I don’t disagree with your view on the Bluesy either. It is proper 80s gash...

Yep, spot on mate, it's one of the watches I yearned for back then but couldn't afford, and of course I love that it's such an unashamed fanny-magnet.....

,,Sunburst dials are synonymous with many fashion quartz watches imho.
    Just a thought but maybe the sunburst dials are actually such a success amongst us Spivs and Chavs that they're actually synonymous with being plagiarized?? IMHO of course....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    and of course I love that it's such an unashamed fanny-magnet....
    Its the Rolesor technology...

Master
    Thanks for that link...didn't watch it fully...Paul Thorpe videos usually bore me, but saw an interesting comment on the side. I had always felt this would be the case, but if true - an important development!

According to Revolution Watches live feed - measured via calipers the new Sub is 40.53mm (vs 40.22mm old Sub) - so it rounds up to “41mm” + 0.23mm thinner

Master
    The 41 Sub looks like a classic in the making. The punters will be fighting over each other to get that one.