closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Golf club fitting

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Golf club fitting

Has anybody been to a club fitting lately? I’m thinking more of a specific centre or ‘academy’ rather than a fitting day at your local golf course.
    If so any recommendations or reviews? I’m intending to sort out my entire bag and I’m looking for personal recommendations. I’m not particularly set on any one brand so any feedback would be appreciated.

Struggled to get my putter re-gripped due to COVID (what a nonsense that is), so not sure how freely available fitting sessions might be at the moment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my last set fitted free at American Golf Chigwell, and couldn't be happier.

I know is a big chain, but the guy knew his stuff and I could try out all the clubs with various shafts on the flightscope. I could see clearly what each club/shaft combo gave me and could choose accordingly.

Like you I have no brand affiliation, but ended up with Callaway Rogue irons 5-SW instead of the Taylor Made's that I thought I'd like. They replaced a set of Pings. I was surprised just how much difference the shaft made, so you definitely want to ensure you're swinging normally on the day.

My golf pro/coach does the same service and I've booked a session with him next week looking at hybrids, again on the flightscope.

As is turns out I am an easy fit. A regular steel shaft with an extra 0.5" length, and a medium grip with 2 wraps. No other adjustment required.

Biggest problem with fitting is not the availability of fitting centres open but how long delivery of any custom orders take.

I went to a Taylormade fitting a couple of months back, ordered custom fit driver and new set of irons. Nearly four weeks for the driver and still waiting for the irons nearly five weeks later. Mizuno are taking over a month.

i think you’d be hard pushed to beat Ping myself, they have a wide range of irons and woods to suit anyone’s game. I believe they’re running at 2 weeks turnaround.

if you play regularly custom fit is the way to go. Many places charge for the fitting but will take the fitting cost off the purchase price.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post

if you play regularly custom fit is the way to go. Many places charge for the fitting but will take the fitting cost off the purchase price.
    I agree.... Been meaning to sort it out for ages!

I’m not too worried If I have to wait a few weeks for the clubs to appear. A friend of my wife’s family goes to the Ping centre in Lincolnshire every few years and always speaks highly of the experience however I’m not really convinced I want to go that far!

Golf club fitting

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I agree.... Been meaning to sort it out for ages!

I’m not too worried If I have to wait a few weeks for the clubs to appear. A friend of my wife’s family goes to the Ping centre in Lincolnshire every few years and always speaks highly of the experience however I’m not really convinced I want to go that far!
    I’d second the Ping centre in Lincolnshire. I’ve been twice in the last six years.

First time I was fitted for a G30 driver (9 degree 1/4 inch shorter shaft), 3W and rescue (both standard). Did all the testing there, came away with a spec sheet and then ordered through my pro shop.

Second visit was for irons. Now this visit was both interesting and crucial and took well over an hour. Settled on the following. I500 orange dot (2 degree flat) with a 5.5 (firm) project x rifle shaft and a +4 golf pride grip with two layers of tape. 5 iron to PW. Not cheap but simply amazing set up and clubs for me. Love them. Again I came away with spec sheet and ordered through my pro. Had them 18 months and they will be in the bag for at least another 8.5 years.

Wedges next.

If you are going to spend the money then I say do it properly because in my mind you are looking at a ten year investment.

I wouldn’t go anywhere near a flight simulator in a shop that just wants you in and out with set of any old clubs.

You also need to see the ball flight for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andyp1973; 21st August 2020 at 20:25.

I wouldn't go to any brand's centre. You'll get the right fit for their clubs, but their clubs might not be the best for you.

I can highly recommend Custom Lab in Hitchin, Herts.

I have played Ping irons for 25 years, this year I have switched to Mizuno and different shafts and my game has improved massively (12 handicap in February, 6 handicap now). All my ping sets were purchased after a fitting at Ping headquarters in Gainsborough, so all custom. But I tried the latest Ping blueprints, TaylorMade 760's, Callaway Apex / Apex Pro, Srixon 785's and a couple of Mizuno models, after about 3hrs it was between the TaylorMade and Mizuno, the Mizuno just had the final word on feel.

All I can say is that you need to try the different brands to really get the best club for you, after all they are an extension of your arms.

Master
    Where are you based OP?

Grand Master
    If you can afford it, go to a proper fitting centre, they tend not to be affiliated to brands or hard sell, from the fit you should be able to go away and work out what you want, or buy through the centre if they offer that service (usually getting your fitting fee back).

Also worth looking round local clubs where there's a decent pro who also does fittings, they can sometimes give you an honest opinion on whether new clubs are worth it, or possibly lessons required prior to going down the custom fit route.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Where are you based OP?
    Hampshire....Southampton area.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    If you can afford it, go to a proper fitting centre.....

Also worth looking round local clubs where there's a decent pro who also does fittings, they can sometimes give you an honest opinion on whether new clubs are worth it, or possibly lessons required prior to going down the custom fit route.
    Tbh I would lean towards a fitting centre rather than a brand specific.
    I’ve had my current clubs about 5 years or so....they replaced a set of Pings I obtained from a family friend. I definitely feel I need new clubs (after all golfers do like buying clubs!) and as I’m quite tall I would like to go custom. Some lessons will also be in the pipeline as I’m playing like a donkey lately, but that’s not the clubs! I’ve been playing well since last year and was down to, and playing to, 13 earlier this year. I’ve gone a bit off the boil and have crept back to 14.7 so keep meaning to sort a couple of lessons out to see what I’m doing. Or not!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boarder1 View Post

I have played Ping irons for 25 years, this year I have switched to Mizuno and different shafts and my game has improved massively (12 handicap in February, 6 handicap now). All my ping sets were purchased after a fitting at Ping headquarters in Gainsborough, so all custom. But I tried the latest Ping blueprints, TaylorMade 760's, Callaway Apex / Apex Pro, Srixon 785's and a couple of Mizuno models, after about 3hrs it was between the TaylorMade and Mizuno, the Mizuno just had the final word on feel.

All I can say is that you need to try the different brands to really get the best club for you, after all they are an extension of your arms.
    Interesting - I’m also based in Hitchin might check them out. Where do you play?

Grand Master
    Hampshire....Southampton area.

Tbh I would lean towards a fitting centre rather than a brand specific.
    I’ve had my current clubs about 5 years or so....they replaced a set of Pings I obtained from a family friend. I definitely feel I need new clubs (after all golfers do like buying clubs!) and as I’m quite tall I would like to go custom. Some lessons will also be in the pipeline as I’m playing like a donkey lately, but that’s not the clubs! I’ve been playing well since last year and was down to, and playing to, 13 earlier this year. I’ve gone a bit off the boil and have crept back to 14.7 so keep meaning to sort a couple of lessons out to see what I’m doing. Or not!

Definitely go for it then, the fitter will be a pro as well usually, so will know what to work out, last time i had a fit it was well worth it, it was pretty much a lesson whilst getting fitted, seems i was dragging the club through due to being a bit on the inside, so current clubs with offset were working against this, new clubs worked after a few practice rounds, as i tended to hit a few pushes due to the change.

Craftsman
    My cousin spent a lot of money at Precision Golf in West Byfleet which might be a bit easier for you to get to from Hampshire.

https://www.precisiongolf.co.uk/

I'm not a golfer myself, but he rated it highly so I thought I'd pass it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    My cousin spent a lot of money at Precision Golf in West Byfleet which might be a bit easier for you to get to from Hampshire.

https://www.precisiongolf.co.uk/

I'm not a golfer myself, but he rated it highly so I thought I'd pass it on.
    Thanks...i would be interested in anyone else has used them and their feedback.

Interesting....thanks. Hitchin wouldn’t be too bad as i have family nearby.

OP, check Golf Principles in Basingstoke. They fitted my clubs. They carry all the major brands (and a few of the more exotics like PXG, Homma, etc), lots of different shaft opinions, etc and if you cannot find something that works for you then give up 😀

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Has anybody been to a club fitting lately? I’m thinking more of a specific centre or ‘academy’ rather than a fitting day at your local golf course.
    If so any recommendations or reviews? I’m intending to sort out my entire bag and I’m looking for personal recommendations. I’m not particularly set on any one brand so any feedback would be appreciated.
    I went to Silvermere in Cobham Surrey, easily accessible from M25/A3
    Quite a few from my club have been and all have enjoyed the experience.
    They fit all brands, when I got fitted for new irons, I tried Callaway, Titleist, Ping, TM, Srixon and Mizuno

It is important to have all the tracking equipment (GC Quad is great) but I think it is important to hit out on to a range from the fitting bay rather than hitting into a net with a simulator.
    I want to see the ball flight.

Silvermere (probably like a lit of fitting centres) Charge up front for the fitting but refund the fee if you buy your clubs through them

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I went to Silvermere in Cobham Surrey, easily accessible from M25/A3.......

Silvermere (probably like a lit of fitting centres) Charge up front for the fitting but refund the fee if you buy your clubs through them
    Ta....I wasn’t aware of that particular centre. I will take a look.

Suggest a visit to Golf Principles at the facilities in Basingstoke or at Brockenhurst GC. Jason MacNiven, really knows his stuff, and can help you dial in your requirements. He has tremendous studios at both locations, with GC Quad and a great Putter lab as well.

Well worth a visit.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Is adjusting loft and lie part of the process?

Loft and lie, play a part in the overall fit as these areas generate impact consistency, along with shaft and club head selection. Its the overall club build up to help the player with feel and to help to repeat the swing and ultimately the shot outcome.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Interesting - I’m also based in Hitchin might check them out. Where do you play?
    I play in the Cambridge area at The Gog Magog golf club.

Master
    I play in the Cambridge area at The Gog Magog golf club.
    Ah nice - I’ve heard Gog Magog tracks are lovely. I play at Letchworth. Also have a long awaited rearranged trip to Hanbury Manor tomorrow... just as the storm hits!

If anybody is interested.....I ended up going to Golf Principles in Basingstoke. It was a very enjoyable couple of hours and I learnt a lot!
    The very first thing I was told was “ your clubs are too short...you are hunching to much”. I knew that and have been playing as such for years. Turns out I need a shaft length about 2” longer.
    The other thing that was really enlightening was the immense difference a change in shaft makes. I’ve never really experienced this before but it was amazing.
    I was quite pleased to turn up striking the ball nicely; with impeccable timing I had just managed to get my handicap down to 13.3 the week before I went. (Obviously pre World Handicap Index).

I’ve ordered a new set of irons (the new Srixon ZX5s 4-PW & AW) plus a new Cobra SZ Extreme driver. Not cheap to start with but adding specific shafts to the order racked it up,a bit!

If anyone is thinking of getting a fitting I can thoroughly recommend Golf Priciples.

Master
    Turns out I need a shaft length about 2” longer.
    Keeping to the context of golf clubs, an extra 2" is a huge addition so you're either over 6'8" or you're a T Rex .

Fitting is so important and the shaft is akin to the engine in a car in terms of the impact on performance. It's also really useful to know that the club is working to help you and that any poor shots are down to you and not the equipment. I wouldn't buy irons or a driver without being fitted for them. Higher handicappers often think fitting is only appropriate for better golfers but the benefits are there for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Keeping to the context of golf clubs, an extra 2" is a huge addition so you're either over 6'8" or you're a T Rex .

Fitting is so important and the shaft is akin to the engine in a car in terms of the impact on performance. It's also really useful to know that the club is working to help you and that any poor shots are down to you and not the equipment. I wouldn't buy irons or a driver without being fitted for them. Higher handicappers often think fitting is only appropriate for better golfers but the benefits are there for everyone.
    I’m 6’6” with a 36” inside leg.

My existing clubs are 1” longer than standard and I need another inch (oo’er missus).

Now I’ve been fitted I sort of wish I’d bothered years ago and not just kept putting it off. Still...onwards and upwards. Or rather onwards and downwards (hopefully).

Craftsman

My existing clubs are 1” longer than standard and I need another inch (oo’er missus).

Now I’ve been fitted I sort of wish I’d bothered years ago and not just kept putting it off. Still...onwards and upwards. Or rather onwards and downwards (hopefully).
    Was the pun intended?

Well thats the reason for the extra inch!

Definitely helps to have the length right - a mate is 6'3" and he's got new clubs that need an extra inch. Played a few rounds with the length as is and the difference was enormous. So well done getting it done!

Well good luck with the clubs, definitely can rack up the costs! Thank god I am not a fussy man equipment wise, I usually get along with most brands. My biggest issue is...I'm left handed

Master

My existing clubs are 1” longer than standard and I need another inch.
    You are a tall fella then but an extra 2" is still more than I'd have expected BUT I'm not a professional fitter so they will know. The extra length significantly changes the characteristics of the shaft so it highlights that fitting is possibly more important for folk who are unusually short or tall. In my case Callaway offered a suitable shaft as a no cost extra watch was handy. In addition I am 6'2" and 34" inside leg which means an extra 0.5" shaft length and Callaway added that and 2 extra wraps on the grips at no extra cost to me over the full rrp via by local pro.

If anybody is interested.....I ended up going to Golf Principles in Basingstoke. It was a very enjoyable couple of hours and I learnt a lot!
    The very first thing I was told was “ your clubs are too short...you are hunching to much”. I knew that and have been playing as such for years. Turns out I need a shaft length about 2” longer.
    The other thing that was really enlightening was the immense difference a change in shaft makes. I’ve never really experienced this before but it was amazing.
    I was quite pleased to turn up striking the ball nicely; with impeccable timing I had just managed to get my handicap down to 13.3 the week before I went. (Obviously pre World Handicap Index).

I’ve ordered a new set of irons (the new Srixon ZX5s 4-PW & AW) plus a new Cobra SZ Extreme driver. Not cheap to start with but adding specific shafts to the order racked it up,a bit!

If anyone is thinking of getting a fitting I can thoroughly recommend Golf Priciples.
    Glad to hear it worked out well for you 👍

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche