closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current shape Range Rover

Master
    I have to say the responses on this thread seem to be mostly negative but somewhat 3rd party. They certainly haven’t done much to make me feel at ease with purchasing a RR. Still feels way to risky.

Think I might start looking at Cayenne’s or an S Class!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a new RR autobiography, 4.4 Dv8, in 2017 through work. I loved it. For about two weeks.

Suspension, gearbox and software issues killed the buzz very quickly. Dealer was terrible (Sturgess in Leicester).

I wouldn’t touch another one.

I'v had 4 LRs, all bought brand new. Only the last one ever had an issue, the fuel sender broke and the brake disks died prematurely. Both fixed quick with a courtesy car delivered to my house.

Currently with Mercedes and it's been plain sailing too.

Craftsman
    Looking at the reviews and reliability etc I wouldn't sink nearly 100k into a possible lemon..
    The last range rover sport i drove circa 2012 ish was awful and didn't feel premium at all... it felt like what it is ... a land rover in drag..
    But each to their own just get a cast iron warranty

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Worked for them

Saw the idiots and slackers that put them together (not all but...)

So don’t touch one with a ten foot pole

I’ve also seen the warranty claims for tens of thousands of pounds

Unless you’re some rich I don’t care about money type - avoid

So many and much nicer luxury 4 x 4 avail

I thought you were the biggest JLR fanboy on here??

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I thought you were the biggest JLR fanboy on here??
    They stopped giving him freebies.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Privacy glass... black RR.....drug dealers ride of choice....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Privacy glass... black RR.....drug dealers ride of choice....lol
    Actually I know someone who has a black on black RR, although he owns several businesses he’s also known for mixing by with the wrong people shall we say..

Hahahaha! There's at least one in every town...

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Worked for them

Saw the idiots and slackers that put them together (not all but...)

So don’t touch one with a ten foot pole

I’ve also seen the warranty claims for tens of thousands of pounds

Unless you’re some rich I don’t care about money type - avoid

So many and much nicer luxury 4 x 4 avail
    Given you thought a bath foam bottle was 'collectable' I would refrain from such discussions, seriously.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I worked closely with a large JLR franchise for just over a year ending last year. Senior managers at showroom and head office level told me at least 30% of their time daily, without fail, was on buy backs.

They are apparently the best cars in the world when they work but go on strike more than a miner in the 80's. Before buying a range rover have a search for JLR/RR buy backs. Wouldn't touch one without warranty.

That is shocking.

30%!

It's got to be worth investing in the changes to make the cars more reliable. Even if you look at it as a ten-year programme. That 30% must be causing a horrendous level of customer attrition. And that's without threads like these.

But one can make a pretty penny selling JLR-branded keyrings and coffee mugs on watch fora and eBay.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My neighbours SVR lost all power last week it’s still at the dealers as they cannot find the fault.

Driving home yesterday, expensive looking 2020 RR sat at side of the road, bonnet up, perhaps I missed a photo opportunity?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    After reading this I can’t help but think about the probable scale of issues with the new Evoque, especially with its commonality. No thanks.

Blog Entries
    So... it's off to a Mercedes Gelände then. Same image, less problems.

Seriously, in that class, I would opt for the (most expensive) LandCruiser and enjoy trouble-free motoring. Keep it 10, 15 or even 20 yrs. The only thing you'll need to address during that long period of owership is the radiator + expansion tank. The tank is plastic and it will become brittle. Aftermarket s/steel or alloy can be found easily (or have it made - bespoke)

Menno

Didn't Toyota stop selling the Landcruiser V8 in Europe? Don't think the Prado qualifies as a proper Landcruiser?

Master
    The BMW X7 is probably the nearest competitor to the RR these days I would think, aside from if you actually want to take it off road.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Current shape Range Rover

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    That is shocking.

30%!

It's got to be worth investing in the changes to make the cars more reliable. Even if you look at it as a ten-year programme. That 30% must be causing a horrendous level of customer attrition. And that's without threads like these.
    They did, they invested millions in their 2010 2020 vision. Sadly it died on its arse because they started dropping their established long standing dealers and opted to give them all to faceless PLCs who only look at customers as open wallets. I’ve rattled on about it on here for years.

This was their goals
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 23rd August 2020 at 09:32.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    As normal the net is littered with people who have problems, you don’t generally get to hear about the people who have never had issues. Personally speaking I’ve ran a Disco Sport from new which is now nearing 2 years old without a single issue.
    My business partner has a same aged RR Evoque and again has not had a problem.
    I would go as far as saying that my Disco Sport is one of the best cars I’ve ever had.

Had a 2001 Freelander, 2016 Evoque, 2018 E-Pace and now 2020 F-Pace and no real problems with any of them.

Had a rattle from the rear of the E-Pace and a guy from Jaguar came out and repositioned a seat bracket. No complaints.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 23rd August 2020 at 09:50.

Sounds like they´re both a waste of money and plausibly too frequently a significant waste of your time, double bubble aggravating for no real benefit, mugs game.

Blog Entries
    They did, they invested millions in their 2010 2020 vision. Sadly it died on its arse because they started dropping their established long standing dealers and opted to give them all to faceless PLCs who only look at customers as open wallets. I’ve rattled on about it on here for years.

This was their goals
    I would love to see what’s become of those figures.

Brand image etc aside, am I alone in finding a trip to the garage to fix a car one of the most tedious, irritating and potentially expensive experiences one can have? - it usually involves a trip to the middle of nowhere, explaining the issue, bags of inconvenience and even after all the wait and expense, the end result is a car that.........isn’t broken any more.
    You can’t buy time - so why people even consider cars with a reputation for unreliability is way beyond me. Genuinely, if I won £100 million on the lottery tomorrow I wouldn’t go near a Land Rover/Range Rover dealership - sure, I could afford it, but why bother? - and doesn’t ownership of one in 2020 say ‘I’m someone who bought this because of the badge, I don’t know anything about cars but I like what this looks like. By the way please notice how rich I am’?
    Ok maybe the last sentence is a bit unfair, although I do notice they are often driven by the ‘flash’ which doesn’t always correlate with ‘the wealthy’

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Brand image etc aside, am I alone in finding a trip to the garage to fix a car one of the most tedious, irritating and potentially expensive experiences one can have? - it usually involves a trip to the middle of nowhere, explaining the issue, bags of inconvenience and even after all the wait and expense, the end result is a car that.........isn’t broken any more.
    You can’t buy time - so why people even consider cars with a reputation for unreliability is way beyond me. Genuinely, if I won £100 million on the lottery tomorrow I wouldn’t go near a Land Rover/Range Rover dealership - sure, I could afford it, but why bother? - and doesn’t ownership of one in 2020 say ‘I’m someone who bought this because of the badge, I don’t know anything about cars but I like what this looks like. By the way please notice how rich I am’?
    Ok maybe the last sentence is a bit unfair, although I do notice they are often driven by the ‘flash’ which doesn’t always correlate with ‘the wealthy’
    Whole heartedly agree, who needs the hassles, our times not infinite.

Master
    I currently have a Defender which I love and will keep for years, but have had a Disco Sport and a Discovery 3 as well as various loan LR's. In the main, both were fairly reliable, the D3 more than the DS. The DS was 12 months old when I bought, I had it about 16 months and it went to the dealer (who are shocking) a few times for warranty work. Nothing major, but a dodgy tailgate that opened/closed turned out to be the fog light leaking causing an issue with the loom and a couple of other niggles. Would I buy a RR/RRS etc? No. The dealer network is appalling, the level of service is woeful compared to other prestige marques. When they work they are great, but there is always that niggling doubt in your mind. I'll be looking at a G350 for the next family car.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I would love to see what’s become of those figures.
    They’ve probably got brand appeal and that’s it.

I'm not a RR buyer. If I need a 4x4 I will buy a Defender 90.

But I would love for the company to be a success story.

RR appeal with Honda / Toyota reliability would be ideal.

Master
    On a trip to Namibia - harsh conditions - I was told by a safari driver that the only reliable 4 by 4 was the Land Cruiser. Land Rovers packed up in short order.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    On a trip to Namibia - harsh conditions - I was told by a safari driver that the only reliable 4 by 4 was the Land Cruiser. Land Rovers packed up in short order.
    As I've written before: my wife used to work for an NGO in the Afghanistan/Pakistan region. 100% Land Cruiser territory. About 12 yrs ago, I was considering a Discovery, partly because it would be a perfect towing vehicle for the workshop (car trailer etc). Normally, she doesn't mind me buying cars etc. But then she put her foot down, saying: "The only 4x4 on here the drive next to the house has Land Cruiser on the bonnet, not Land Rover!"

Nowadays, the workshop uses an old Citroen Jumper as towing van - simply because it was given to the shop as a payment for work on a Jag engine. After 17 months of ownership, I can safely say that this 150+K miles car is reliable as our Honda! A car from an era when Citroen used to built simple diesels with no electronic gadgets.

I have a belief that there is a sweet spot for cars built between 2000 and 2010. Modern enough and yet less disposable.

I had a good look at the new Aston Martin DBX yesterday, after some discussion we decided that if you park it in Tesco car park next to a Nissan Qashqai most people wouldn’t notice the difference

This was their goals
    What is the problem? Poor design, poor materials, poor production, poor finishing, poor processes, poor skills in assembly, poor checking - or a mix?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    What is the problem? Poor design, poor materials, poor production, poor finishing, poor processes, poor skills in assembly, poor checking - or a mix?
    I think the above started in about 10/11 can’t quite remember now, it was quite a way off goal. We were all summoned to various local other non home dealerships where we were ‘taught’ a range of so say groundbreaking techniques. One of these techniques was to some how turn ourselves at a flick of a switch in to some kind of Freudian Character that had to establish what personality traits the customer had within minutes of meeting them. Then of course we had to change our own personality trait to establish a closer bond with that customer. The basis of this was 8 actors portraying the customers and the Land Rover service receptionist who were engaging in 4 roll play scenarios. We were all sat around thinking what a lot of horse**it this was when one chap who was about 5 seats down who had like the rest of us was becoming increasingly more agitated stood up and told them exactly what he’d thought.
    He went on to tell the whole room what a shower they were as the scenarios were not at all realistic and that the vast majority of the issues that customers were complaining about were due to the manufacture and not the dealer. The guy had been a sales manager for years and Land Rover hadn’t release brochures for any vehicle for around 6 months. They were inundated with complaints but what was the dealer to do, one very small example but you get the drift.

In my time with LR I’ve seen 4 owners of the business all with different sets of ideas, that alone has brought on 4 different set diagnostic equipment, warranty procedures, dealers standards etc. This is all very well when you have a team of people who have been with the brand for years, they adapt together and learn quickly but when all these dealers have been taken over by piss pot 2 bit companies that from the outside look like they know what they’re doing but in reality don’t have a clue than that’s where all the issues starts. My ex service manager, my now business partner and myself had over 100 years of experience with working with Land Rover. Added to that the techs who had been there for 20 plus years, the sales staff who had, apart form one, been there for 20 plus years, parts staff who knew part numbers without looking. What have they got now......? Next to bugger all.

Land Rover don’t care about this, they see numbers, it’s a numbers game, units sold is all they care about. They may rock on about customer experience this, surveys that, blah but the reality is they don’t care. If they did they would do something about their falling car sales, reliability issues and endless reports of poor dealerships. it’s not all about CV19, Brexit and the decline of the diesel. The rot set in many years ago and they’ve been complacent in doing anything about it.
    One of the principle reason why they are failing is because they now have a huge amount of Dealers who value month end figures over customer experience.
    Google any JLR dealers in your area and I’ll bet it’s a common theme. People can tolerate vehicles breaking down to an extent but when they don’t have the dealer back up when the brown stuff hits the fan then that’s when the trouble starts....I could go on all day.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I had a good look at the new Aston Martin DBX yesterday, after some discussion we decided that if you park it in Tesco car park next to a Nissan Qashqai most people wouldn’t notice the difference
    Parking over the line, taking up two bays would be the giveaway.

Master
    Every person I know who's owned or owned a modern JRL Land/Range Rover has nothing good to say about them. Their build quality is awful and as they get older they become hugely expensive to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

People love to knock RR - they tend to drive something soulless

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    If I could describe any car as having soul, the last car on the list would be a Range Rover.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    My leased 10 month old £64k Velar is currently in the dealers having the engine removed to replace the balance shaft bearings, after just 7k miles. The courtesy car they have loaned me (also a 1 year old Velar) has the paint peeling off the bumper.

The quality of dealers does vary, but generally you will find more empathy and better customer service at any other main dealer.

When they work, they are lovely places to be. VERY comfy, superb to eat up the miles - particularly if you have an air suspension model. The issues come when they dont work (which WILL happen), you will question why they are so badly built, why they cost so much and why the customer service is awful for a luxury/expensive brand.

Make sure it has a warranty for the entire period you own it.

Expect every bill to be 3 figures.

Despite all this, they are such lovely cars that I keep coming back to the brand, even though I have moved away from them several times now in utter exasperation at how badly I have been treated and how unreliable 90%* their cars are.

(* this is a totally made up statistic...)
    Just to update my post above.

I collected my Velar on Saturday morning after the balance shaft repairs had been done under warranty.

On my way home (about a 15 mile journey) the 'Engine Malfunction' light appeared, meaning the car should not be used until it had been attended to by the garage (again). Great stuff.

...the vast majority of the issues that customers were complaining about were due to the manufacture and not the dealer.
    That's the key thing.

The dealership makes next to no difference to me as a buyer. If the product is excellent, I would be perfectly happy to tolerate a rude or disorganised dealer. What I would not tolerate is a wonderfully empathetic and friendly dealer who is selling a poor product.

You can find out more about customers' tolerance for this. For example, there are any number of restaurants who are quite hectoring towards their diners but the customers tolerate it if the meal is superb. However, it doesn't matter how well the front line staff act if the food is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

People love to knock RR - they tend to drive something soulless
    I don't care if a car has ''a soul'' or not, it's the optional poltergeist the customers can't abide.
    Last edited by number2; 24th August 2020 at 10:20.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Got more soul than a shoe with a hole.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 24th August 2020 at 10:22.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I don't care if a car has ''a soul'' or not, it's the optional poltergeist the customers can't abide.
    This^. I want to get in my car, press the starter button, and assume with a fair degree of confidence, that barring a puncture or accident it will get me where I want to go in comfort.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

I love the look of them and certainly appreciate the ambience inside.

However, spending upwards of £80k I’d expect a decent warranty and reliability.

How come companies like Honda, Toyota and Kia can make well made solid cars which great reliability and offer 5 or 7 year warranty on it?

I’d love a RR but I’m way too unlucky when buying stuff and just know I’d be waiting for something big to go wrong.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    I love the look of them and certainly appreciate the ambience inside.

However, spending upwards of £80k I’d expect a decent warranty and reliability.

How come companies like Honda, Toyota and Kia can make well made solid cars which great reliability and offer 5 or 7 year warranty on it?

I’d love a RR but I’m way too unlucky when buying stuff and just know I’d be waiting for something big to go wrong.
    Honda: 10 yrs / 200K kms warranty here in Holland... And, our dealer does the Lexus treatment. Picks the car up at our home, puts a comparable car on the drive etc.

Current shape Range Rover

A few years back my business partner bought a used Range Rover Sport from a main dealer in Stockport for 23K. He drove to the yard nodding with a big smile on his face and was king of the road for one week until he parked it and the car was leaning to one side, a problem with the air suspension.

The lads at work thought this was very funny as he went from hero to zero. Several failed attempts to rectify by the main dealer until the warranty ran out then they were not interested, failed it’s mot due to self levelling headlamp not working, cost £1K then a problem with the engine meant the whole body would need to be removed from the car, effectively making it a write off. After 5 years of troubled motoring he got £1K for it.

He now drives a VW Caddy Kombi and doesn’t mind the lads telling him it looks like a disabled car as it’s been completely reliable and will hold a value.
    Last edited by Lammylee; 25th August 2020 at 09:27.

Master
    Once bought a RRS from a main dealer. It was lovely and comfortable. Only lasted 6 weeks before I sent it back and they gave me a full refund...problem after problem...it skidded around roundabouts for some reason! They could not work out why. Almost like the handbrake was being applied...Various other strange issues too in short time I owned it.

Always thought I may like to try another one day but have never been brave enough.

Master
    Thanks again for all the responses chaps. I think the RR is definitely off the table. I was hoping I would hear something to make new feel somewhat more comfortable but clearly not!

Will go and look at either a Merc S Class or a Porsche Cayenne I think.

I've had a Cayenne for 6 years. mine is a 2011. Besides the motorised roof struts which failed - a few hundred quid. Nothing has gone wrong (touch wood). I am looking to replace it with a Macan next which is a bit more fun to drive and now both my kids are out of prams I don't need the boot space of the Cayenne.

I love our Discovery 4! It’s only needed one lot of warranty work (so far...)

My friend came to visit over the weekend in a new RRS courtesy car from the local dealer.

Her very nearly 3 year old Velar had failed its first MOT and needed new track rod ends. It has 9k on the clock.

She's getting to keep the courtesy car for a fortnight as the dealer can't get the parts for the repair.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Once bought a RRS from a main dealer. It was lovely and comfortable. Only lasted 6 weeks before I sent it back and they gave me a full refund...problem after problem...it skidded around roundabouts for some reason! They could not work out why. Almost like the handbrake was being applied...Various other strange issues too in short time I owned it.

Always thought I may like to try another one day but have never been brave enough.
    Sums up my ownership although it was 6 months before I hit my limit and gave it back in those six months I’d only actually driven for about 6 weeks. It’s to this day one of the most comfortable cars I’ve owned and I loved being in it which was handy because I seemed to be stranded a fair bit waiting for recovery.