closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Portuguese 7 day auto, 15 years old but recently serviced...anything I need to co

Master

IWC Portuguese 7 day auto, 15 years old but recently serviced...anything I need to co

Have seen one of these for £5k, it’s 15 years old but has had a full IWC service 2 years ago. Comes with box and papers. Anything I need to consider...it’s older than I’d normal consider but the service should negate this concern right??

Seller is legit bricks and mortar dealer.

Thanks
    Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Was the service with IWC? If you don’t know it’s worth asking the question as this will be an in-house movement.

Assuming the price looks good I suspect you have nothing to worry about. The 7 day is not a model I know well but it’s little brother the Portuguese chrono you see plenty of well kept mid to late 2000s models on WF/Chrono24

I've previously owned one of these from around the same date. Might be worth checking with the dealer or IWC, but I'm pretty sure the recommended service interval for this model is every 2.5 years, which of course adds to the overall cost of ownership. It was a lovely watch though and I think I only ended up selling as it was a bit on the large size for a dress watch.
    Last edited by Manxdiver; 17th August 2020 at 17:37.

Master
    Thanks for your input. Service was carried out by IWC. I’ve owned this model previously, so am fairly comfortable with its size, just wanted to be aware of any potential pitfalls of owning a 15 year old watch, despite the recent service.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Thanks for your input. Service was carried out by IWC. I’ve owned this model previously, so am fairly comfortable with its size, just wanted to be aware of any potential pitfalls of owning a 15 year old watch, despite the recent service.

I can’t think of any pitfalls if it’s been recently serviced. Any mechanical watch should keep running for a lifetime if serviced regularly. Hope you enjoy it Michael!

Hi Mike

I know you’ve had a lot of watches, and am sure you’ve done your research, but just FYI these wear vary large.

I love the watch and have tried one on a few times but have always backed out of buying due to the size.

I can’t give you ownership experience because of this, just thought I’d mention it. Atb

Ian

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post

Sorry, just seen your follow up. As you were!

Craftsman
    Hi,

One of the joys of mechanical watches is that, in theory, they can last forever with the right maintenance. (You know the whole Patek thing about merely looking after it do the next generation!)

With an established company such as IWC and an movement which is still in use, I wouldn’t have an issue with a 15 year old watch. Plus it was last serviced by IWC themselves. I have a couple of watches from the late 90’s and they still work fine!

BW,
    Chi Kai

Master
    Saw the watch, unfortunately not as described as it was not immaculate. Despite a genuine IWC service the case was in a bad way. IWC service papers had “Best possible” next to polish refinishing part of the work undertaken...so it must have been in a terrible state prior. Makes me think what kind of life it has had over those 15 years.

Anyways, it did give me a feel for the watch and it is something that I’m definitely after. White face probably, or would consider stretching for the white/rose gold version.