closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I love a domed acrylic crystal

Master

Re: I love a domed acrylic crystal

Surely, Eddie, you're not concerned that the new PRS-10 won't sell. I imagine that these will be flying off the shelf.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    As always, I received a few suggestions. "It would be great if it had a regular screw back", "I would have bought it if it had a screw down crown", "Can you increase the water resistance? The CWC isn't even waterproof".

Of course, most of the people suggesting improvements are people who would never buy it. It's a lesson I've had to learn the hard way.

Eddie

Actually, I think a screw down crown and decent WR is a superb addition, that and the Ronda movement take it head and shoulders over the CWC version.

Quote Originally Posted by emmak
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    As always, I received a few suggestions. "It would be great if it had a regular screw back", "I would have bought it if it had a screw down crown", "Can you increase the water resistance? The CWC isn't even waterproof".

Of course, most of the people suggesting improvements are people who would never buy it. It's a lesson I've had to learn the hard way.

Eddie

Actually, I think a screw down crown and decent WR is a superb addition, that and the Ronda movement take it head and shoulders over the CWC version.
    Very well put !

Craftsman

Interesting this one...

I've had 2 PRS-10's as beaters - one for me which is still pristine and one I gave my father for a work watch - his has had a pretty rough time.

I'd have to think - depending upon final pricing from Eddie - that if these run for 10 years with virtually nothing more than the odd strap change and a Polywatch rub then they will be a sound investment.

Mmm...wonder how much a pristine Broadarrow version would sell for on 'bay :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by BENZ

I've had 2 PRS-10's as beaters - one for me which is still pristine and one I gave my father for a work watch - his has had a pretty rough time.

Any chance of some side by side pics, please?

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Master

A screw back and crown are a welcome addition and make this watch much more wearable in any condition.
    The decline of the Pound v Euro is not helping either to keep the prices low.

I think this'll suffice...

:)

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dibetu
    That really depends on which side of the Channel one is on. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I'll be going for one of these. This will be a perfect daily watch which I can happily change straps with.I like the classic G10 case shape.

:)

Rod

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibetu
    That really depends on which side of the Channel one is on. :wink:
    Your are right, we are lucky this time round, on this side :D

Master

Eddie, I will buy one:

I have about 10 different-coloured Nato-straps in 18mm and I like to change them from a pure fashion point.
    My Kienzle Chronograph and my modded PRS-53 have already suffered from several nights-out and to
    avoid another costy repair on a Landeron 248 I will happily pay the "surcharge" which seems
    (regarding the super specs) absolutely justified for me.

When is it for sale?

Cheerio, Frank

I was not interested in this G10 until I saw Eddie's pictures on that NATO. Very clean and excellent simple basic design. This watch is outstanding for $100US and excellent for $200US. Nice work Eddie.

I now want this watch!

Also, Eddie's pictures of the NATO on the G10 have a blue cast on both of my monitors. I don't think it is a screen problem, but I suspect the color balance is off in the original photo. Still a really nice photo though.

Master

me too :albino:

I'm not sure I know what's all that economical about low spec beaters. Flood out 2 or 3 of them or so and you could have bought something like the new high spec PRS-10 for the same price and still have a perfect military watch that will endure a wide variety of conditions instead of 2 or 3 "throw aways" in the trash that won't. :blackeye:

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon
    me too :albino:

I'm not sure I know what's all that economical about low spec beaters. Flood out 2 or 3 of them or so and you could have bought something like the new high spec PRS-10 for the same price and still have a perfect military watch that will endure a wide variety of conditions instead of 2 or 3 "throw aways" in the trash that won't. :blackeye:
    I agree which is why i've ordered one.

That said, the military approach has always been to procure a throwaway G10 so how far this fits a "Military" classification is debatable. Hopefully Eddie's approach and an NSN will change minds.

Quote Originally Posted by lee watch
    I was not interested in this G10 until I saw Eddie's .............

I now want this watch!
    Me too. If I don't =really= like the SB3, I am getting one of these. With the SB3 I was only looking for a watch to wear on a Nato and the bracelet is too much for my needs. I used to have a CWC G10 so I know exactly how it wears on the wrist. The only minus is the quartz mov but I can work with that. Eddie should seriously consider putting a Swiss movement in it, at some point.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

It would add 50% to the cost given the issues with these movements.

Those are real lookers! I think I'll definitely have one if Eddie does an auto model (wasn't the Miyota the last thing mooted?). Really thinking about getting one for my wife, she has a Broadarrow PRS-10 that she doesn't wear much due to the fixed bars and limited strap choice. One of those on Eddie's red canvas might well be finding it's way to her wrist...
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    (wasn't the Miyota the last thing mooted?)

I can't remember but that would be excellent.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

I think many here are confusing "throw-a-way" with non-repairable.

A watch rated to 5 atm is perfectly adequate for daily life of the average Joe. I wore a 50 meter rated Seiko 5 for years when in the Army, never had it fog or fail. Other than a horribly scratched-up crystal, a case the started life as polished, but finished life with me looking almost sandblasted, it was in perfect shape after seven years of service.

I probably would never have found places like this if it had not been stolen from my baggage coming back from Korea.

Non-repairable simply means that the cost of the item is low enough than the cost of repairing the item when it fails (unscheduled failure, routine battery replacements don't count) is not worth the trouble. Now, before anyone says "...a quartz movement only cost 5 to 10 dollars, or a crystal at about a buck, versus the watch itself, which is about $75, why is it non-repairable?" Here's why:

The cost of repair is not just the cost of the parts and labor, but the overhead cost of maintaining the repair facility, or keeping a repair contract current with a civilian entity, as well as the cost or moving the items from the using activity to the repairing activity, maintaining paperwork traceability of this move and the paperwork concerning the paying of the repair facility, warehousing (or contracting the repair facility to warehouse, or maintain) spare parts. Generally speaking, if the cost of repair (with all the above included) is more than 50% to 75% it is not economic to repair items, because the life of a repaired item, on average, is not equal to the life of a new item.

Although, I am curious why none of the major non-repairable military watches do not use the 10 year life 3V lithium battery, with those movements (which don't cost much if any more than the standard 3 year life 1.5 V silver-oxide batteries) you could permanently hermetically seal the watch in its case and have a "throw-a-way" watch

Well, just ordered one for the wife, I'll have to sell her Broadarrow one at some point now. Looking forward to having a look in the metal at this one as well.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

Well, I couldn't help it, I just ordered one. After all I said I would and I should put my money where my mouth is. And my Broadarrow PRS-10 has found its home on the wrist of my spouse a while ago, so I need another one... Which one will end up on whose wrist remains to be seen.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

I voted for a black date wheel and now don't know if I can wait (I'm kind of hoping the first batch will sell out before I crumble)
    Any ideas Eddie when they will be in stock?
    It looks a cracking watch :D

Very nice.

I think the extra price is justified - look at all of the extra bits you are getting over a CWC. Its not like Eddie was trying to be greedy by adding greater margin on it.

The strap in the pictures definitely has a blue hue to it. I'm a photographer and have 3 profiled monitors and its the same on all. No doubt due to colour cast on the original image.

I was going to email Eddie about how to get hold of the blue until I realised it was the grey that I already have!

Trying to decide whether to get this and the PRS-5 :bounce: :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    Although, I am curious why none of the major non-repairable military watches do not use the 10 year life 3V lithium battery, with those movements (which don't cost much if any more than the standard 3 year life 1.5 V silver-oxide batteries) you could permanently hermetically seal the watch in its case and have a "throw-a-way" watch
    I expect the problem would be finding crown seals that matched the life of the rest of the watch. If you could do without date and find a way to adjust it remotely without a crown, perhaps guarantee it ran slightly fast and simply stop it, it would be perfect.

As it is I'm just mad that nobody will be in to receive my PRS-10 tomorrow :(

I was going to email Eddie about how to get hold of the blue until I realised it was the grey that I already have!

Trying to decide whether to get this and the PRS-5
    It's blue-ish on my monitor too.
    I wore my PRS-5 out for the first time last weekend. Smart. Although not a huge dial the asymmetry and thickness of the case seem to allow it to dominate your wrist. I'm very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    It's blue-ish on my monitor too.....
    I said it was blue days ago and was told to re-calibrate my monitor. :smurf:

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    It's blue-ish on my monitor too.....
    I said it was blue days ago and was told to re-calibrate my monitor. :smurf:

john
    [Obvious on] Blue is the new grey! [Obvious off]

Craftsman

Trying to decide whether to get this and the PRS-5 :bounce: :bounce:
    YES. I think both are aloft to me as I write.

-O

so Eddie..when are the black date wheels gonna be in.

Quote Originally Posted by setherd
    Last I heard they were held in Swiss/German customs, so God only knows when they are likely to land!!

David

Quote Originally Posted by DJG
    Quote Originally Posted by setherd
    Last I heard they were held in Swiss/German customs, so God only knows when they are likely to land!!

David
    Wow! First post in here. Welcome mate. What watches have you got? :D

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Wow! First post in here. Welcome mate. What watches have you got? :D

john[/quote]

Hi,

Been lurking a while and am very impressed by both Eddie's watches and the light-hearted banter! I have
    Omega Seamaster Professional 300m, Omega Speedmaster Mark II, Ollech and Wajs Aviation Chronograph, JLC Vintage Memovox & my latest is JLC Reverso Squadra Hometime. Be thinning this out soon and replacing with some Precista/Speedbird hopefully.

Good to be here.

David

Grand Master

Been lurking a while and am very impressed by both Eddie's watches and the light-hearted banter! I have
    Omega Seamaster Professional 300m, Omega Speedmaster Mark II, Ollech and Wajs Aviation Chronograph, JLC Vintage Memovox & my latest is JLC Reverso Squadra Hometime. Be thinning this out soon and replacing with some Precista/Speedbird hopefully.
    Welcome to the forum, and that's quite an interesting collection. :)

As for the Omegas, though, ... just see my signature. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Welcome David, nice to have you onboard :-)
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Hi,

Good to be here.

David
    Ah, one of us then. :roll: :lol:

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Welcome to the forum, and that's quite an interesting collection. :)

As for the Omegas, though, ... just see my signature. :wink:[/quote]

The Omega's and the O&W are the ones to go I'm afraid. Not wishing to bulls**t the main man, but Eddie's watches look just as good as Omega's, if not better and at afraction of the cost. I love my JLC's though.

Craftsman

Hey I've got great sympathy with you but, I bought a PRS-53 a couple of weeks ago and two days into enjoying it - Bang - on the back of the car! scuffed crystal and a minute mark on the case. For several hours it was stomach tightening time. Do I wear it? Do I get the mark off the crystal now? And then it all mysteriously settled into perspective when I "heard" Eddie's voice say to me (in Yorkshire dialect) 'Ya twat, get on and enjoy it' and since then - every day, all the way, happy as Larry wearing it all day long... :lol:
    I somehow knocked my 53 and there is a hair fracture within the side of the crystal. It's small. I'm not too worried, as when I get it serviced in a few years' time I'll have the crystal replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A

I somehow knocked my 53 and there is a hair fracture within the side of the crystal. It's small. I'm not too worried, as when I get it serviced in a few years' time I'll have the crystal replaced.
    Does the fracture go right-through or just the surface? If it goes right-through, it might be advisable to change it sooner.

I've seen watches run for years with cracked crystals ... but you are running the risk of ruining 'things' if the watch breathes-in moisture.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Craftsman

Good point. I'll have my local change it on the weekend. :)