closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heads up: MOT Extension Abolished MOT/Testing Reintroduced August 1st 2020

Heads up: MOT Extension Abolished MOT/Testing Reintroduced August 1st 2020

FYI.

March 30th 2020 to July 31st 2020.

If your vehicle’s MOT expires between March 30th and July 31st 2020, you still have an automatic 6 month extension. For example, July 5th 2020 is extended to January 5th 2021. However, you do not have to wait until the end of your coronavirus extension to have your vehicle checked. If you prefer, it can be done on any earlier date.
    Also, irrespective of any extension it is your responsibility to ensure your vehicle is roadworthy. If not, you might be prosecuted.

August 1st 2020 onward.

If your MOT expires on/after August 1st 2020 throughout England, Scotland, and Wales there is no extension for your vehicle. Simply have it assessed according to its normal, pre-coronavirus schedule.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Got mine tested last week just to be safe.

Craftsman
    The truck conversion motor home that we live in runs out July 28th hopefully get the extension although I know nothing should need doing to it, I'll still get it checked as soon as able but it has to go to a ministry type station due to the size / weight so normally have to book way in advance which obviously we haven't been able to do.

Heads up: MOT Extension Abolished MOT/Testing Reintroduced August 1st 2020

Didn’t realise until pointed out by my son that if your MOT is extended and car then fails, the MOT is no longer valid and you can no longer drive it as you normally could until expiry date.

I’m lucky, mine is just expiring now so have until of January but worth a bit of planning in case anything needs fixing.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 21st July 2020 at 08:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Didn’t realise until pointed out by my son that if your MOT is extended and car then fails, the MOT is no longer valid and you can no longer drive it as you normally could until expiry date.
    Irrespective of the extension, if an MOT failure is regarded as 'major' or 'dangerous' you couldn't continue to drive it until the expiry date.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Irrespective of the extension, if an MOT failure is regarded as 'major' or 'dangerous' you couldn't continue to drive it until the expiry date.

R
    That’s correct.

You cannot legally drive an "unroadworthy" car at any time, regardless of whether there is a valid MoT certificate in force.