closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Online watchmaking course

Online watchmaking course

I'd link to have a dabble in watchmaking and have seen various online courses. Has anyone here done one that they can recommend?

I really rate these, though I am just starting out myself. You can learn a lot just from watching his regular youtube channel and get a feel for his "style" https://www.watchrepairlessons.com/

I did look into the BHI course but I don't know if I really need to know how to make parts (and my own tools) right now, am only looking to do servicing currently.

Master
    Another vote for Mark Lovick's courses.. I've not taken it myself but have followed his youtube channel for a long time and I can say with some confidence that it would be excellent quality content!

He's super knowledgeable and just has such a nice pace and detail to the videos he puts out.

I’m also looking into this. The common advice seems to be the old (US) TimeZone Watch School. Having said that, as far as I can tell, it doesn’t look like it’s been updated in 10 years and you work through a number of html pages, which basically makes it a distance learning book-course.

I’m not saying that there have been revolutionary developments in watchmaking in the last 10 years that would affect a novice but I do wonder whether the format is still the best, or whether it’s still the best course despite its format.

Also, the price of entry by the time you’ve bought the requisite tools seems to be around $450 (+import if you get it from the recommended retailer) It’s not ridiculous for this hobby but it’s a significant stake to gamble for an interested hobbyist.

Would love to hear everyone’s recommendations too...

Grand Master
    Speaking as someone who went down this path in 2010, I recommend anyone who's interested to attend the BHI 5 day residential course on Basic Mechanical Watches. This will get you to a good starting point to self-teach, you get the 'feel' of the job and (more importantly) the feel of working on the correct bench at the right height. I can`t stress this highly enough, the cost is significant but if you treat it as a holiday it's far easier to justify.

The sensible way to do it is to complete the Basic course, set yourself up with tools and equipment, get some practice to improve skill levels, then attend the' Day/date automatics' course. There's also a Chronographs course but I wouldn't advise this at an early stage, I made that mistake and it almost put me off completely. Having completed the first two courses I think most people will be able to learn by self-teaching and experience from that point on, having grasped the basics. The only area of training I could've benefited from is lathe work and refinishing, I could still learn from the lathe curse but it's a bit late for the refinishing because I`ve basically taught myself.

Unfortunately, there's no cheap way into watch work, the cost of basic tools and equipment is significant, the cost of cleaning fluids and lubricants is also significant and there's no way around this.

A decent work area is a must, ideally a separate room where you won't be disturbed. The level of concentration needed initially is high, you really cannot work with distractions. It does get better, but even now there are certain tasks where I have to concentrate 100% if mistakes are to be avoided.

You have to be with yourself and decide whether you really have the aptitude for it, some have but some haven`t. The BHI course is a great way to find out, even if you decide against progressing it's worth it for the learning and the enjoyment. I guess these courses are suspended at the moment but hopefully they'll restart in the near future.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 17th June 2020 at 15:51.

Craftsman
    Interesting thread, I'll keep an eye n this as it's something that interests me too.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Speaking as someone who went down this path in 2010, I recommend anyone who's interested to attend the BHI 5 day residential course on Basic Mechanical Watches. This will get you to a good starting point to self-teach, you get the 'feel' of the job and (more importantly) the feel of working on the correct bench at the right height. I can`t stress this highly enough, the cost is significant but if you treat it as a holiday it's far easier to justify.
    Big +1 for this. Even though I had "tinkered" with watches for many years, the BHI 5 day Basic Mechanical Watch course taught by a Swiss-trained pro of many, many years experience was absolutely invaluable and I learnt far more in 5 days than years of dicking about with the internet. They also do £99 taster days if you're wary of splashing out for the whole course.

Apprentice
    I’m 71 now and decided that a watch was only a gearbox, a clock work motor and a governor.
    I was wrong of course but it’s not far off.
    There isn’t a short answer to this.
    I taught myself with aid of books and online free YouTube videos.
    That was 5 years ago.
    I have mainly 1910 to atp watches and in my case that was important, but I will explain.
    You need a steady hand and lots of patience and a few watches that you don’t care about, I bought an auction lot for about £25 + fees and delivery.
    Don’t be frightened some one else built it it’s not rocket science so you can take it to bits and with care you can rebuild it.

What do you need?
    Good screwdrivers they are expensive but make the job much easier.
    Good tweezers and practice picking small bits up transfer them from one container to another, they will fly and the more you practice the more they don’t.
    Watch hand removers I use eBay ones and a dial protector.
    A pinion remover, it’s important to get the right size old watches like I work on are just under 1mm and the new pullers from Bergeon don’t grip these pinions. eBay us 2nd hand.
    Good light.
    Good magnification your optician can help here it’s worth it for no headaches caused by eye strain.
    A cleaner I have an old Elma, I did try a vibration cleaner but it removed some jewels for me.
    Good oilers.
    For old watches a demagnetizer you’d be surprised how many old watches are magnetised.
    A bench at the right height or a low stool.
    Watch holder.
    Back remover, I use a Bergeon ball but the ones off eBay work a treat.
    Somewhere to keep your striped watch safe and dust free.
    A simple dust coat.
    Look on Cousins site there are lot of PDF’s with good info.
    Never be afraid to ask questions you won’t be the only one who doesn’t know.
    Ah a big box to put all the bits in from those watches that don’t even after all your efforts.
    Pete
    I will have missed stuff out but then Im old and things get lost and I forget stuff it happens just go with the flow.

Apprentice
    Ah I forgot photograph every stage even if you think its a waste of time, it won't be!!
    Take your time its the arrival not the speed.

Craftsman
    Just a word of caution, if you don't have patience working with reallllllllllllllllly small parts this is not for you. I can say that with confidence because I gave it a shot and it just wasn't for me, but if it is in your wheel house then I think it is a great pursuit. I certainly can look at my watch and have a real appreciation for the time and talent required for this field.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd like to do the BHI course at some point, for those that have done it would you recommend an online course first?

Journeyman
    I did the learnwatchmacking.com course a while back and really enjoyed it. You can also get a starter set of the necessary tools and the watch he uses for the course through the site. I found it really enjoyable and very clearly explained and demonstrated, so would definitely recommend it for anyone looking to dip their toe in the water.

Grand Master
    The drawback with the BHI course is the cost and the time commitment, taking 5 days away won't suit some people. I was fortunate, I got the fees paid as part of my redundancy package from my former employer, and I was taking early retirement so the prospects of 4 nights away from home wasn`t a problem.

I've no experience with the on-line stuff, but I`d be wary of spending significant sums of money on them.

There's no substitute for hands-on tuition in an ideal environment and that's what you get with the BHI. You also get to meet fellow-enthusiasts and the course tutor, good contacts can be made and if you like a drink and a laugh in the evening the experience is v. enjoyable.