closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Comex on the Antiques Roadshop.

Comex on the Antiques Roadshop.

Retired Comex diver turns up at the Antiques Roadshow with 2 Rolex Comex.

A 5513 HEV, not marked on the dial, so early and a 1680/16800? A full set. Plus the guy had some dive logs etc.

They were valued at £20k for the HEV and £40-50K for the other.

Oh how I chucked, especially the HEV at £20k. Only out by about 100%.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    To each their own. I'd say you have to an utter muopet to think they're worth what you believe they are.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    To each their own. I'd say you have to an utter muopet to think they're worth what you believe they are.
    Particularly miserable, today?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Retired Comex diver turns up at the Antiques Roadshow with 2 Rolex Comex.

A 5513 HEV, not marked on the dial, so early and a 1680/16800? A full set. Plus the guy had some dive logs etc.

They were valued at £20k for the HEV and £40-50K for the other.

Oh how I chucked, especially the HEV at £20k. Only out by about 100%.
    Yup, but that episode has been shown before I think. I'm not sure how old it is.

He was a navy diver before Comex. I wonder if he had a Milsub tucked away somewhere.

Master
    Think it's about a year or so old. Aberdeen?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    So, at what would you value a NON-LOGO dial Comex 5513/4 with HEV ?

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    £20k?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That was the famous J.L showing his watches, if anyone had worked for "crazies" in Saudi they will know him.

I did think that first watch had a HEV but it wasn't mentioned. The prices of both watches seemed low compared to what you see some listed for sale at, but do those high priced ones sell...

The expert did say a normal Sub would be £6k to £8k which wasn't a bad estimate, but as we know that band can be much wider, more like £5k to £30k depending on the sum of the parts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Think it's about a year or so old. Aberdeen?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    2018 was the first airing.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    2018 was the first airing.
    Here's a thread from 2019. Maybe it'll be an annual thing.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?442860-Comex-on-antiques-roadshow

One sold in 2007 for 35k Chf, so depending on condition, etc, I would expect it now to be £30k-40k (or whatever someone is prepared to pay).

However if the owner sold them as a pair, with documentation, Dive logs, etc, via someone like Phillips, then I would guess they could go north of £150k.

As a dealer what sort of price would you put of them?

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    That was the famous J.L showing his watches, if anyone had worked for "crazies" in Saudi they will know him.
    Interesting that you know (of) him.

Dare I ask, who/what are the Saudi crazies?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Interesting that you know (of) him.

Dare I ask, who/what are the Saudi crazies?
    It was a pet na,e for the company we worked for Mark, Khalifa Algosaibi, shortened to Algosaibi, then after you had been doing 3 month on, 1 month off shifts for a while we all called it crazies!! As in I'll go crazy.

^^^ I've got one of their full-face masks (they're a big PPE supplier).

E
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    It was a pet na,e for the company we worked for Mark, Khalifa Algosaibi, shortened to Algosaibi, then after you had been doing 3 month on, 1 month off shifts for a while we all called it crazies!! As in I'll go crazy.
    You ever work with Shorty Lougher?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No, I haven’t.

Master
    No, I haven’t.
    Ah, ok. I spent a lot of time with those ex-clearance guys early 90's onwards. Wish I'd hoovered up the Comexes back then like others did - at £400-£500 a piece!

Master
    One sold in 2007 for 35k Chf, so depending on condition, etc, I would expect it now to be £30k-40k (or whatever someone is prepared to pay).

However if the owner sold them as a pair, with documentation, Dive logs, etc, via someone like Phillips, then I would guess they could go north of £150k.

As a dealer what sort of price would you put of them?
    Vintage Rolex do not increase in value in linear fashion, even over the long term. Fashions and interest change, driven by a number of factors that are both clear and opaque.

That an original Comex 1665 with 600m dial can still be had for under £100,000 is a mystery when one looks at certain other collectibles.

An original Comex 5513 or 5514, both correctly having an HEV, may equally correctly NOT have had a dial with the Comex logo on it. However, collectors' wish for obvious, visible points of difference mean that they are somewhat unloved and I think the AR valuation was reasonable. I think you're similarly OTT with your appraisal of the Date Sub.

It may be true that knowledge of the various Comex watches is not confidently shared by many and so the pool of assured and financially capable buyers is not massive. I picked up a 16800 Cx and 5514 Cx at auction and wondered if the rest of the world had been asleep that day.

You suggest that I am a dealer, but I have never sold a Comex Rolex and there are seven held here at the moment : 5513, 5514, 1665x2, 16800x2, 16600 (with "Indiana Jones" connection).

So, if I had an axe to grind it would be to talk up values, but instead I find myself reluctantly accepting that the AR figures didn't seem far wrong.

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 16th June 2020 at 11:47.

I think that what may make a difference are the dive logs, and the fact that you would buy them from the original owner. Both of these features have value to a collector.

What that difference translates into, however, remains a mystery to me.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Ah, very interesting. :-) Thanks.

Vintage Rolex do not increase in value in linear fashion, even over the long term. Fashions and interest change, driven by a number of factors that are both clear and opaque.

That an original Comex 1665 with 600m dial can still be had for under £100,000 is a mystery when one looks at certain other collectibles.

An original Comex 5513 or 5514, both correctly having an HEV, may equally correctly NOT have had a dial with the Comex logo on it. However, collectors' wish for obvious, visible points of difference mean that they are somewhat unloved and I think the AR valuation was reasonable. I think you're similarly OTT with your appraisal of the Date Sub.

It may be true that knowledge of the various Comex watches is not confidently shared by many and so the pool of assured and financially capable buyers is not massive. I picked up a 16800 Cx and 5514 Cx at auction and wondered if the rest of the world had been asleep that day.

You suggest that I am a dealer, but I have never sold a Comex Rolex and there are seven held here at the moment : 5513, 5514, 1665x2, 16800x2, 16600 (with "Indiana Jones" connection).

So, if I had an axe to grind it would be to talk up values, but instead I find myself reluctantly accepting that the AR figures didn't seem far wrong.

H
    No axe to grind, nor a desire to talk up values especially as I don’t have any Comex watches, nor would I buy one. I am quite happy with my 1665 Rail, my Matte 16800 and 5513 meters First.

The reason why I thought the values were off were based purely on the fact that they seem to go more at Auction and that Chrono24 list Comex watches for way over 100k.

I suggested you were a watch dealer, because you are. That is all.

But well done on your collection. Very nice.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

The reason why I thought the values were off were based purely on the fact that they seem to go more at Auction and that Chrono24 list Comex watches for way over 100k.

I suggested you were a watch dealer, because you are. That is all.
    Haha! Well, I asked for that with my watch dealer question, but my point was that I'm not a Comex watch dealer.

There are many different types of Comex, different dial variants and case-backs even within the same model designation, different production numbers, desirability and of course individual provenance and condition. It is a non sequitur that because some Comex go for over £100k another one should also.

As for Chrono24 being an indicator of any vintage Rolex watch price paradigm......it is the place where over-priced or unfit watches go to die, not sell.

H

Haha! Well, I asked for that with my watch dealer question, but my point was that I'm not a Comex watch dealer.

There are many different types of Comex, different dial variants and case-backs even within the same model designation, different production numbers, desirability and of course individual provenance and condition. It is a non sequitur that because some Comex go for over £100k another one should also.

As for Chrono24 being an indicator of any vintage Rolex watch price paradigm......it is the place where over-priced or unfit watches go to die, not sell.

H
    Fair enough.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Does anyone know what episode it was? I can’t find it on BBC iPlayer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by pjsayer View Post
    Does anyone know what episode it was? I can’t find it on BBC iPlayer

Antiques Roadshow, Series 41: 6. Crathes Castle 2: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0c0vvk1 via @bbciplayer

About the 54 minute mark.

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Antiques Roadshow, Series 41: 6. Crathes Castle 2: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0c0vvk1 via @bbciplayer

Thanks buddy much appreciated. You saved me sitting through hours of middle England tedium ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by pjsayer View Post
    Thanks buddy much appreciated. You saved me sitting through hours of middle England tedium ;-)

Just 5 minutes of watch tedium.

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post

Thank you, you’ve answered the question I was about to ask!