closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another of those dreaded what to buy threads

Master

Another of those dreaded what to buy threads

I've been away from watch forums and the watch scene for a few years. However for the past monthI've been getting the itch for a new watch.
    I like watches that can be worn daily. I dont dive or do any extreme activities but like a good looking all round watch for work and play.

There are only two watches in my watch box- The Speedy Pro Hesalite and the last watch I bought new - Tudor Black Bay black with the ETA movement. Yes I've been away a while. I 'm trying to catch up with all the cool watches that have come out to decide what to buy. Thinking of getting one less than 40mm for my 7 inch wrist.
    I was wondering what the forum's thoughts were on the Speedmaster Trilogy (?future collectable) , Rolex Explorer 39 with lumed dial (?unmatched versatility) or Discontinued black Milgauss (?quirky and possible future collectable)? Any other suggestions?
    I'm thinking of buying used so as to not lose money but would be nice to know the watch may appreciate over the years of ownership too and be a decent heirloom.
    What you suggest?
    Thanks for your patience.

Presume you're aware of the Tudor Black Bay 58? If not has to go top of the list to check out in my opinion

Then you can sell the Black Bay Black and start the hunt for a third watch too...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hennersf View Post
    Presume you're aware of the Tudor Black Bay 58? If not has to go top of the list to check out in my opinion

Then you can sell the Black Bay Black and start the hunt for a third watch too...
    I wouldn’t sell the eta black for a 58, although I’m biased :)

Two great watches already, I’d add a white dial OP39 I think.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hennersf View Post

Thanks for your reply. I actually like my Smiley Black Bay and it's size as my Sporty Diver. I also like the idea that it was only out for a short period of time and hence some degree of scarcity

Awesome, incorrectly assumed you might be finding it on the large size but superb that you’re not! Cracking design that Black Bay

Explorer, OP39, Aqua Terra would all make what you have a good trio but with a Speedy and a Black Bay the one you're missing is a black Rolex diver. Either a Sub ND or if buying used you could choose between a 4 line 14060m or a SD 16600.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sunster View Post
    I'm thinking of buying used so as to not lose money but would be nice to know the watch may appreciate over the years of ownership too and be a decent heirloom.
    What you suggest?
    You mentioned the Explorer 214270. The pre 2016 model is less popular than the current model. This is pure speculation but Rolex watches with small production runs tend to increase in value than those with long production runs. So possibly a pre 2016 model may be the one for you as it only had a run of 6 years. Unwanted today but sought after tomorrow.

Any of your selection will be enjoyable watches to own. Personally I’d go for the Explorer. My son has it and it’s his only watch - every time I see it on his wrist I just think timeless versatile classic. Will look just as good in 30 years !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sunster View Post
    I've been away from watch forums and the watch scene for a few years. However for the past monthI've been getting the itch for a new watch.
    I like watches that can be worn daily. I dont dive or do any extreme activities but like a good looking all round watch for work and play.

There are only two watches in my watch box- The Speedy Pro Hesalite and the last watch I bought new - Tudor Black Bay black with the ETA movement. Yes I've been away a while. I 'm trying to catch up with all the cool watches that have come out to decide what to buy. Thinking of getting one less than 40mm for my 7 inch wrist.
    I was wondering what the forum's thoughts were on the Speedmaster Trilogy (?future collectable) , Rolex Explorer 39 with lumed dial (?unmatched versatility) or Discontinued black Milgauss (?quirky and possible future collectable)? Any other suggestions?
    What you suggest?
    Any of those on the list would be great. I think the 57 trilogy are lovely watches and I reckon the style would be something different to what you have in the box already...

The OP does make a few references to the financial side of things such as buying second hand and future collectible etc. Is it worth considering something vintage, for example my gut feeling tells me that a quality vintage Rolex or something like an original 60s Speedmaster or Seamaster 300 isn't going to crash in value any time soon.

The problem is that these watches are already collectibles and won't be cheap to buy a decent example, but over the years the value has only gone one way.

Buying something modern and hoping it will become a future collectible is almost impossible or we would all be doing it.

Just a thought...

You have a chronograph, you have a dive watch, both are Swiss.
    The evident missing links are a vintage piece, a dress watch and a GMT.

So how about a Grand Seiko GMT to fill the GMT-sized gap in the lineup.
    How about the SBGN005 - a 39mm, 100m WR, Quartz GMT with lume and a fixed 24hr bezel? A really dark blue dial to boot.
    You will be pushed to a find better made watch for the money.
    Dave