closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Removing the original leather strap from a black Bulova pilot

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Removing the original leather strap from a black Bulova pilot

It's no good, I'm totally unable to locate the ridges on the spring bars to get the strap off. Any suggestions? It feels like the spring bars are sat within tubes...

What tool are you using, please?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    What tool are you using, please?
    Just a very small watchmakers flat screwdriver, to try and prise the strap away from the lugs and find the ridges on the spring bar. It feels like the watch should have drilled lugs....

Grand Master
    not tried it myself, but i was told using a thin piece of cotton winkled into the gap and then a sharp tug can work.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmeat View Post
    Just a very small watchmakers flat screwdriver, to try and prise the strap away from the lugs and find the ridges on the spring bar. It feels like the watch should have drilled lugs....
    Then I think it's time for you to invest in a Bergeon 6767 or the later 7767. I see that they now offer 'SF' versions whereas I used my F(ine) type on my Bulova moonwatches. By going for the SF you get two sizes of fork rather than a single fork and a plain round end.

Take a look at the link and download some of their pdf files to see their offerings.

Normally I'd recommend the flat blade of their 8111 for removing straps. You slide it in and use the bend as a fulcrum to lever the end engaged with the spring bar away from the lug. I do seem to remember that not working a couple of times and I'd take money on that having been the Bulova. However, since mine now sport a Di Modell Chronissimo I must have succeeded sooner or later.

Edit I've no connection with the firm but H S Walsh seem to offer reasonable prices for these items at the moment on both eBay and Amazon.
    Last edited by PickleB; 8th June 2020 at 11:29.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmeat View Post
    It's no good, I'm totally unable to locate the ridges on the spring bars to get the strap off. Any suggestions? It feels like the spring bars are sat within tubes...
    Mine came off easily enough with a regular removal tool. They are regular spring bars , unless they have changed. I have taken straps off both strapped versions and fitted meshes.

It can be tough. The leather is thick and strong at that point. Also, the leather melts on the spring-bar and everything solidifies into a mush.

You will need the "v" point of a strap changing tool and you have to be strong into compressing the leather down until the "v" catches the spring-bar. It will happen, you just have to be patient. A screwdriver or knife will not do as the leather will not compress enough to find the notches. Good luck.
    THIN is the new BLACK

As you can see I had to compress the leather quite a bit. Although it doesn't show in the pics... I just checked and there are notches on the spring bars for the tool to catch on.

You need one of these... and don't get the cheapest.
    THIN is the new BLACK