closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home HiFi advice from the knowledgeable, please!

Home HiFi advice from the knowledgeable, please!

Afternoon, happy Friday!

After many many years abroad, there's a chance that we might be moving back ot the UK in the next year or so. Offer on a house, mortgage application in, etc...

And of course, the first thing that my mind turned to is that the new house will need a nice HiFi!

The main living space will be the width of the back of the house and will be the kitchen, the dining area and the living area - quote big. And it'll be quite an adult space.

I have some thoughts, but I was hoping for suggestions or tips. I have an excellent starting point - I have a pair of neo-vintage Beoline Penta passive speakers waiting for me in storage. (Library pic.)

I was thinking an amp to drive these, but then... What? I have no CDs - everything is on iPods and computers. I also listen to a lot of radio, digital radio, mainly. A DAC and a digital receiver? Is there one thing that could stack on top of the amp that would do all this?

I am perfectly happy with older bits of equipment, and most of the other things in my life are last decade's best equipment!

Thanks!

Lovely speakers those Beovox’s. I have a pair of their successors, the Beolab 1’s. Unless you’re really ‘in’ to the whole hi-fi thing, I’d suggest a modest 50w pc amp would do (maybe an oldie but goldie Denon PMA-350 or Pioneer A400) , a front end wi-fi streamer (Sonos Connect /Port). Any money saved would be well spent on a nice sealed ‘musical’ subwoofer (BK Elec XXLS400) that will help fill out the bottom end that will be a bit light on the Beovox’s.

You might even consider combining the streamer and amp into one box (see Sonos Amp).

HTH?

Gary

How about stereo receiever?You have an amp and built in radio

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koriste?i Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by martyloveswatches View Post
    How about stereo receiever?You have an amp and built in radio

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koriste?i Tapatalk

Not a bad idea if you just want radio as a source. A Sonos Port or Amp will give that functionality anyway though.

Depends on budget, not a fan of multiple boxes.

A used Naim Uniti Lite would be a tough one to beat in value for money terms, built like a tank & superb service dept if there was an issue down the road.

Naim Uniti Atom would sound & look incredible with your B&O 'speakers.

For less money something from BlueSound or NAD would be a good bet, their BluOS streaming experience is a notch above most others.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Master
    Cambridge audio cxn digital pre amp and the power amp of your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, the new Sonos amplifier would be a great addition. 2 x 50watts. The B&O's are a 4ohm speaker so fairly sensitive.
    There is a line level input on the Sonos, so a CD or turntable (phono preamp needed).
    Stream Amazon HD and your done.

Thank you for the replies - I'll have a Google!

W.

Craftsman
    If you want to go down the used route look at a Marantz amp, Google ChromeCast Audio (CCA) and Arcam rDAC will run about £350.

The new Cambridge CXN is an excellent streamer with good inbuilt twin DACs, paired that with a decent 50/60/100w amp and you should be on to a winner. Looking at about £1,250+ incl. amp.

NAIM kit is very great too.

I run a CXN v1 with a Tube amp and it sounds great with TIDAL.
    Last edited by gavsw20; 15th June 2020 at 21:32.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've heard good stuff about the audio lab streamer but not used.

Not sure on the amp.

I would factor in your streaming source too. Tidal and Deezer for example have more high quality material than say Spotify.

Master
    Amp is whatever you fancy really. I'd probably go with a vintage Pioneer from the 70s , something with massive VMU meters.

Streamer ...how about you build one from a raspberry pi and put a natty touchscreen on it.

Or a beocenter 9500 with streamer.