closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skx007 - I just can’t stop wearing it - enlighten me to others?

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    Great thread! I have a 007 and a 011.

How does the turtle movement (4R36?) compare to the 7S26. I think I recall it hacks, but I could well be incorrect.
    See my post #45.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    I agree with Simon in the turtle as an option. I also have the padi and it’s a stunning watch. Slightly bigger than a 007 in my perception.

Looking for more value for money there are also some nice Seiko 5 models or Vostok models. Both can also be heavily modded if that’s your thing.

Snzh59 /57 range has classic looks for example, even without modding. Love it in blue.

In the Vostok range I got a standard scuba dude and didn’t mod any parts but I did brush the bezel (very easy) and than later the case (also pretty easy if you figure out how). Spectacular watch now and at USD 70 not a big risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Glen that's a nice Vostok. Have you used that in water at all?

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Having said that, the only Seiko I still own at present is the PADI Turtle, which I think is a significantly better watch for not much more money...better case, better movement, better looks and a vastly better bracelet.
    I would take a Turtle over an SKX any day of the week. I'm convinced the only reason people own the SKX is they don't know the Turtle exists. I sold mine due to having an SPB079 and MM300 - felt there was too much overlap - but I might buy another or try the PADI. Wish they did a no date or date only option. Day date is a faff when part of a rotation.

Master
    I had a few - always been pleased - great value for under £200.....the Turtle is a lot more expensive

Only got one left and I got a nice Seiko rubber strap earlier in the year for use on holiday- curved at the lugs - equal in quality to the Crafter Blue

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Glen that's a nice Vostok. Have you used that in water at all?
    Rain in the Netherlands is as close as it gets :-)

I read a bit about this model and it has some very nice innovations (which I did not expect for this price, Russian marketing didn’t push them hard).

I recall crystal becomes more waterproof the higher the pressure.

Also the case opens and closes on a steel ring, leaving the gasket intact.

And the wobbly crown avoids damage from crown impact damaging the movement. Clever stuff.

In the picture above I had only brushed the bezel. By now the case is done as well and I added a signed crown just to try.

Bezel brushing is very simple: remove bezel (tricky with a knife), then turn bezel on a scotch pad, turning ensures perfect circles and brush pattern). Then reinstall bezel (bit of a puzzle with the spring but doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    See my post #45.

Somehow missed that, thank you

Mine says hi!
    I traded an oris big crown pointer date for it. Best thing ever!
    Then I modded it.

BUBI 0_0

Skx007 - I just can’t stop wearing it - enlighten me to others?

Another one to consider is the mini turtle. Wears smaller than the SKX and full size Turtle.
    Last edited by namzo; 30th April 2020 at 23:27.

I have a 10 year old SKX007J, although I've only recently started wearing it again after a 5 year period where it was largely kept in a box (I went off watches completely in that time).

I really like the shape of the SKX case, much more than the case of the Seiko Turtle I've seen various photos of.

I'm probably fortunate re timekeeping.

I'm wearing it everyday and it's averaging +2.1 seconds per day on the wrist at the moment.

Over the last 20 days it's averaged out at +/- 0.0 seconds by selecting how I leave it on the bedside table.

Once I started wearing it again I fancied modifying it a bit.

Despite having a couple of metal bracelets I prefer a strap, so bought a very nice "sailcloth" strap which I think works well.

I tried a new bezel from a well regarded seller, but the action was rubbish compared to the Seiko one.

Therefore, I just settled for a ceramic bezel insert. It's in the same style as the aluminium Seiko one, but looks a little smarter thanks to its reflective properties.

I didn't want to do anything else. Some of the heavily molded SKX watches look nice, but to some extent you wonder why the owner didn't just buy a different watch if they've ended up changing it that much.

As and when the timekeeping becomes unreliable and it's time for a service, I'll have a hacking NH36 movement fitted.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CamCG; 1st May 2020 at 00:20.

That’s a nice mod. One of the great things with these watches is they can be modded but don’t need to be modded. Love that bezel, close to the original yet ceramic.

Many mod parts are clearly inspired by other watches, trying to turn the 007 into something it’a not, this is a sweet upgrade you made.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I would take a Turtle over an SKX any day of the week. I'm convinced the only reason people own the SKX is they don't know the Turtle exists. I sold mine due to having an SPB079 and MM300 - felt there was too much overlap - but I might buy another or try the PADI. Wish they did a no date or date only option. Day date is a faff when part of a rotation.
    I just think if there was a cool wall for watches the SKX would sit higher than the turtle

Dont ask me why :)

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I just think if there was a cool wall for watches the SKX would sit higher than the turtle

A cool wall for watches, now that's an idea.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I bought a Turtle, hated it.

Big fat splat on my wrist, case shape just didn't sit right. I wore it for a day to try and get myself to like it, but ended up selling it, and keeping my 009.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post

Agreed. Unless it's a vintage turtle.

Love the turtle but I also have two old 6309’s and can’t help but think those proportions are just a tad better.

Master
    I picked up an SKX 007 on a whim from SC and absolutely loved it. It began my interest in Seiko Divers and that made me want more!

I picked up a vintage ish 6309 and 7a38 7070 Divers Chronograph, amazing watches in their own right.

The new Seiko sports 5 watches seem a good compromise or alternative to the SKX.

The case looks very similar to the SKX but with a nicer dial with applied markers and a hacking and winding movement, the only minus is the 100m water resistance but for most people it's more than enough. They seem to me a middle ground between the old SKX and the Turtle. I wear my Turtle a lot but sometimes it feels a little big even though it wears well.

Hodinkee have a article with some nice photos on them

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...ts-srpd-review

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    The new Seiko sports 5 watches seem a good compromise or alternative to the SKX.

The case looks very similar to the SKX but with a nicer dial with applied markers and a hacking and winding movement, the only minus is the 100m water resistance but for most people it's more than enough. They seem to me a middle ground between the old SKX and the Turtle. I wear my Turtle a lot but sometimes it feels a little big even though it wears well.

Hodinkee have a article with some nice photos on them

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...ts-srpd-review

I know they have divided opinion, but I like them.

Bought the green and orange dial versions so far.

There is also the 7002-700a 150m diver to consider.
    http://www.watchsleuth.com/seikodive...?MOD=7002-700A
    Last edited by chrisb; 1st May 2020 at 15:35.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I bought a Turtle, hated it.

Big fat splat on my wrist, case shape just didn't sit right. I wore it for a day to try and get myself to like it, but ended up selling it, and keeping my 009.
    This!
    I did exactly the same! Not sure I lasted the day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    lots of modding options - the SKX007 is probably one of the most modded watch, some great looking modifications
    Oh yes...

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    I went a bit SKX daft a while ago, ended up with 4.
    7, 11, 171 with coin edge bezel and A35.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakuan View Post
    Sexplorer
    Ha ha ha!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Hello Derivative,

What's the Uncle Seiko strap like in terms of comfort? I've heard they can be stiff. Some put them in boiling water. Have you found the need?
    Hi sorry for the late reply.
    I found the strap comfortable straight out of the box and did not boil it (wouldn’t know how to do that anyway if I’m honest...)
    It’s adapted well to my wrist and I enjoy wearing it.

Apprentice
    Wear my 009 as a watch that I’m happy to play rough with.
    I live by the beach so it gets plenty of sea time as well as knocks when I go climbing and it just keeps on ticking.
    It’s just so tough and to top it off it’s such an icon.

Been thinking of getting a second so I can play around with modding as don’t want to play around with my current one as love it as it is but reluctant with current prices.