closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Explorer ref 214270 - price direction?

Journeyman

Rolex Explorer ref 214270 - price direction?

Hi all, my first post here, go easy please :)

I've been interested in this Rolex for quite some time, particularly the post 2015 model with lume on the numerals. I'm based in Dublin. Talked to AD in both Dublin and Belfast and they will allow me to go onto the waiting list by just presenting myself in the shop (I've no previous history buying from either) and informally they reckon the waiting list is months, not years. It is not one of the more desirable Rolex watches. And this was before the current crisis started. I haven't gone on either waiting list yet

The RRP is EUR6,250 / GBP5,200

What are your thoughts of the second hand prices for these. Are they coming down or will they be staying relatively firm?

They pop up on SC occasionally at the 4.5k mark. Personally I dont see them going for any less then that as they really do punch above their price in the Rolex range. I dont think any Rolex are going to take any massive dive in value due to the crisis. There just may be a few more available so the crazy grey prices might level out a bit.

Oh.. and mine....not for sale but just a good pic of the ref. In question.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Didn’t one sell for just over £4K today?

Although buying new at £5k with a 5 year warranty. 10 years if you buy from WoS, I’d flip a coin between pre-owned and new.
    It's just a matter of time...

I think that was the older non lumped model. I would also opt for new if it was an option.

Apprentice
    I got one last year from an AD with no prior buying history, 1 month wait. Beautiful watch, best easily accessible entry into Rolex.

I find that measuring a piece of string often takes the guesswork out of these situations.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I find that measuring a piece of string often takes the guesswork out of these situations.
    Awesome post. Practical input as ever. It's a watch forum for random, sometimes subjective watch talk. Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Awesome post. Practical input as ever. It's a watch forum for random, sometimes subjective watch talk. Nice one.
    Appreciated - Factoring the effects of 'pandemic and impending economic crash', give us your take on the market 1 / 2 / 3 / 5 years down the line.

unkel
    Rolex Explorer ref 214270 - price direction?

I've been interested in this Rolex for quite some time, particularly the post 2015 model with lume on the numerals. I'm based in Dublin. Talked to AD in both Dublin and Belfast and they will allow me to go onto the waiting list by just presenting myself in the shop (I've no previous history buying from either) and informally they reckon the waiting list is months, not years. It is not one of the more desirable Rolex watches. And this was before the current crisis started. I haven't gone on either waiting list yet

What are your thoughts of the second hand prices for these. Are they coming down or will they be staying relatively firm?

Pandemic or no Pandemic, Rolex have always been a status watch for the 'haves' and 'have nots'.
    Pandemic or no Pandemic, it's still a watch forum.
    Some people ask questions you relate to, some dont. Some just troll (not referring to you btw).
    Perhaps you could advise Eddie to shut the forum down under the current economic climate?

Pandemic or no Pandemic, Rolex have always been a status watch for the 'haves' and 'have nots'.
    Pandemic or no Pandemic, it's still a watch forum.
    Some people ask questions you relate to, some dont. Some just troll (not referring to you btw).
    Perhaps you could advise Eddie to shut the forum down under the current economic climate?
    I accept we see things differently, enjoy your day and stay safe,

Master
    I think the explorer is well priced and would go for new if I could. I have an air king and wish it had the explorer clasp

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Oh.. and mine....not for sale but just a good pic of the ref. In question.

Awesome watch / photo. Never knew these explorers had such nice case finishing. The polished bezel with sharp edges against the brushed lugs is beautiful.

Personally I wouldn't think about future values right now - buy what you love and work out what value you place on the warranty and having your name on the paperwork.

I would buy new. Hope you love it when you get it!

Craftsman
    I am a huge Explorer fan but I tend to lean more towards the ref 14270 and I really like the 36mm for size. The OP is a great watch also and even more obtainable that the Explorer and less cash also. But it really boils down to Buy What You Love, and the best watch is the one that you will wear.

I’d get a mint one second hand rather than brand new. This will put you in the black moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    A good AD should be able to source one of these inside 6 weeks once the world reopens.

Craftsman
    Had the 39mm Explorer and it wore far to big on my skinny 6.75" wrist - my choice would be the new OP blue face with the 3,6,9 - lovely watch that and cheaper too :P

Not a difficult watch to get New from your AD
    your question of price direction well if that’s you main concern then buy the best you can preowned I’ve seen mint full set examples around £4.3k..because as soon as you wear your New piece it will be in the same price range as the pre owned..

For me the 36mm is the better watch than the 39mm it’s a classic where the 39mm for me is just all dial and wears large but looks fine on the larger wrist
    buy the one that suits you best..

Master
    That is my dilemma. I prefer the size and proportions of the 36mm, but I think the 39 has the better dial with the lumed numerals. This is turn has me thinking the same as MarkR and looking at the OP 116000.

I bought one of these in 2016 from Lunns in Belfast over the phone. Those were the days. I haven’t taken it off much since then. Perfect watch. It’s really hard to gauge how screwed the economy is going to get now, so if I was buying I would wait 6 months or so. Prices for luxury goods could take quite a dip over that period. Save some dosh in the meantime

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Had the 39mm Explorer and it wore far to big on my skinny 6.75" wrist - my choice would be the new OP blue face with the 3,6,9 - lovely watch that and cheaper too :P
    There is a 39mm Oyster Perpetual with 3,6,9 and a blue face?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unkel View Post

If you want to buy a 39mm Explorer that will probably do well price wise over say a twenty year period, go for a pre 2016 model. This is the one with the white gold 3-6-9 numerals and the shorter hands. Rolex collectors always go for models with short production runs and limited sales. The most sought after Explorer11s are the 1655 and 16550. Neither are particularly good looking and the "disco dial" takes time to learn how to quickly read it.

ADs had a job to give a 1655 away once because no one wanted it but today it is sought after.

The pre 2016 Explorer 214270s seem to be out of favour and these are the models to go for. Fortunately I like the pre 2016 models and I am wearing one right now.

Master
    There is a 39mm Oyster Perpetual with 3,6,9 and a blue face?
    It's 36mm, the 116000-0002 I believe. https://www.rolex.com/watches/oyster...6000-0002.html

Wonder why you can´t get that colour and 3,6,9 config in 39...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Wonder why you can´t get that colour and 3,6,9 config in 39...
    Maybe too close to the current Explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Maybe too close to the current Explorer.
    Could be, pity, I could see myself buying one in that combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Fortunately I like the pre 2016 models and I am wearing one right now.
    Likewise. They're a fantastically comfortable watch to wear and look great without being showy

Master
    would be lovely to get the 39mm in the olive green dial. that would be my choice.

Master
    I have an explorer bought new from the AD last year. Then the price difference between new and used was small enough that I wanted new for the few hundred I'd save going secondhand. As others have said who knows where the secondhand market will end up but I dont imagine we will prices dropping too far.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Lots of great advice, thank you all. I'm fairly big at near 6'2 and 100kg and although my wrists are relatively small, a 36mm is just too small for me.

Pity about the blue OP as I love blue face dials. I would take a 39mm OP with the numerals over an Explorer 214270 if there was such a thing

I've seen the pre 2016 214270 fall in price in recent weeks alright, but it still is too close to RRP for me. Resale value is important to me, but I do prefer the 2016 model with the lume on the dials. If there is very little in it, I'll go for the latter. Second hand or new. I think I'll stay on the fence for another while, see what happens. Sticking with the only watch currently in my collection, a Seiko Turtle PADI Pepsi

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    I owned the 36mm Explorer for several years and eventually sold it to make way for an OP36 with the blue Explorer-style dial. My wrists are around 6.75" and a 39mm Explorer (or OP) would wear too big for my tastes. Much as the Explorer is an iconic Rolex I prefer the OP36 with blue dial, it's easy to end up with too many black dials in a collection.

In an ideal world you could go along to your local Rolex shop and try them all on. Unfortunately the 36mm Explorer has ben out of production for several years so that isn`t an option if buying new.

I`d certainly have a look at the OP 36 or 39 models, they're easier to obtain and better value for money. Only problem I had with the OP36 was the bracelet which needed a half-link to fit properly. Rolex don`t list one, but the half-link from the current Sub fits. Crazy, but true, some folks will only get an acceptable fit using this half-link.

In the current climate I wouldn't rush into anything, I think Rolex prices will drop and the supply situation on new stuff will improve.

Journeyman
    I'm starting to lean towards getting a OP 116000 (blue face, arabic numerals 3,6,9, 36mm). Everywhere I look I see it mentioned that it wears a lot bigger. I'm like blue dial watches and from my history, any of my black dial watches didn't last long in my ownership.

I will have to try one on though, and a 39mm (Explorer 214270) to see what size is best

One question - the Explorer 214270 (39mm) got lume on the 3, 6 and 9 sometime in 2015. Did the same happen to the OP? Also in 2015? Or does it still not have lume on 3,6,9?

I tried the white 36 mm version back in January, just too small on my wrist, perhaps the blue 'wears' larger, good luck.

Master
    The OP has lume on the numerals. It's another thing that attracts me to it.

Master
    I'm starting to lean towards getting a OP 116000 (blue face, arabic numerals 3,6,9, 36mm). Everywhere I look I see it mentioned that it wears a lot bigger. I'm like blue dial watches and from my history, any of my black dial watches didn't last long in my ownership.

I will have to try one on though, and a 39mm (Explorer 214270) to see what size is best

One question - the Explorer 214270 (39mm) got lume on the 3, 6 and 9 sometime in 2015. Did the same happen to the OP? Also in 2015? Or does it still not have lume on 3,6,9?
    The current OP36 will wear larger than the 36 Explorer as it has the beefed up case design but happily avoids the bloat of something like a 41mm DJ.

The 214270 also avoids the bloated look but just wears too large overall IMO.

London - My colleague just got his before the pandemic hit from WoS only had to wait 2 months so pretty fast and this is without any prior buying history!

Best of luck and do share pics once you get yours!

Welcome!

Thanks
    S

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you want to buy a 39mm Explorer that will probably do well price wise over say a twenty year period, go for a pre 2016 model. This is the one with the white gold 3-6-9 numerals and the shorter hands. Rolex collectors always go for models with short production runs and limited sales. The most sought after Explorer11s are the 1655 and 16550. Neither are particularly good looking and the "disco dial" takes time to learn how to quickly read it.

ADs had a job to give a 1655 away once because no one wanted it but today it is sought after.

The pre 2016 Explorer 214270s seem to be out of favour and these are the models to go for. Fortunately I like the pre 2016 models and I am wearing one right now.
    Oh balls, I'm in agreement with Mick P.

Edit: Also with the original 39mm, in the right lighting conditions you can get a blackout effect, always popular.

Last edited by dkpw; 6th May 2020 at 18:24.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    Not a difficult watch to get New from your AD
    your question of price direction well if that’s you main concern then buy the best you can preowned I’ve seen mint full set examples around £4.3k....
    Show me a mint full set Explorer for £4,300?

Cheapest on Chrono 24 UK £5,950

Cheapest on eBay UK £5,500
    Last edited by Antony23; 6th May 2020 at 23:32.

Cheapest full set on WF is 5.3k 8 year old model (2012)

Interestingly their stock for Rolex has depleted since COVID kicked in - perhaps open to a bargain now...or not?

Thanks
    S

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSeb View Post
    Cheapest full set on WF is 5.3k 8 year old model (2012)

Interestingly their stock for Rolex has depleted since COVID kicked in - perhaps open to a bargain now...or not?

Thanks
    S
    I noticed that too. They’ve dipped below 1k Rolexes in their inventory...good to clear the decks occasionally. They’ll be buying aggressively once the doors open...

Quote Originally Posted by Antony23 View Post
    Show me a mint full set Explorer for £4,300?

Cheapest on Chrono 24 UK £5,950

Cheapest on eBay UK £5,500
    A seemingly very nice example went for £4.3k on the SC.. this week.
    Prices on C24 and EBay are nothing more than asking prices..
    Get off your phone do the leg work (difficult at the moment I know)there are thousands of outlets selling watches it’s not all about the 2 markets you mention and there are deals to be done..
    I do hope you are not one of those who value their collection on Watchfinder asking prices..
    For ref I picked up a new one last October on a trip into London it was in the window..since moved on at a tiny profit.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I noticed that too. They’ve dipped below 1k Rolexes in their inventory...good to clear the decks occasionally. They’ll be buying aggressively once the doors open...

Yep exactly haven’t seen that for a few years which is interesting.

Was discussing WF on the forum this week and apparently they are low balling offers out - so buying cheap, stocking up, and reselling for a premium!

Thanks
    S

Master
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps luck but I've seen a few Explorer 1 in ADs in the last 18 months in stock, all in London.

Maybe expand your search, normally dealers like to meet you but that's not possible now so take advantage of remote buying.

Master
    A seemingly very nice example went for £4.3k on the SC.. this week.
    Prices on C24 and EBay are nothing more than asking prices..
    Get off your phone do the leg work (difficult at the moment I know)there are thousands of outlets selling watches it’s not all about the 2 markets you mention and there are deals to be done..
    I do hope you are not one of those who value their collection on Watchfinder asking prices..
    For ref I picked up a new one last October on a trip into London it was in the window..since moved on at a tiny profit.

The one on S/C this week was very cheap because the seller wanted an instant sale, to buy something else.

Considered by those on the thread, as cheap.

The price is not indicative of the market for a mint Explorer, and if you think it is, you’re clueless.

By the way, how much did you buy yours for last year in London, as I’m confused.

If you bought it new, it would have cost you £5,000. You said you then sold it for ‘a tiny profit.’

Why would you or your buyer pay so much, when you said a mint one could be obtained for £4,300?
    Last edited by Antony23; 7th May 2020 at 11:13.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I suggest you look at sold prices on SC over the past year. Most of the Explorer models that sold have been between £4.3 - £4.5.

As has been stated they are not a hard to get watch and quite easily obtainable from most AD’s.
    Check the WTB’s and a number of people who would disagree with you, how easy they are to get.

You will not see or pick up another mint Explorer at that price, unless the seller has extenuating circumstances.

£4,300 is not the ‘going rate’ for a mint Explorer.

It’s the rate at which a buyer would bite off your hands.

The one on S/C this week was very cheap because the seller wanted an instant sale, to buy something else.

Considered by those on the thread, as cheap.

The price is not indicative of the market for a mint Explorer, and if you think it is, you’re clueless.

By the way, how much did you buy yours for last year in London?
    In my 35+ years wearing the brand I have never ever paid above RRP on any New Rolex watch... just 4/5 years almost all were available at discounts...but we live in different times..
    NOS Vintage pieces which i collect are a different subject..
    You sound to me like you maybe have paid to much for your watch and are trying to continue to hype the hype..
    Going forward what prices will do is anyone’s guess but if you are looking for an Explorer don’t judge everything by the platforms you mentioned earlier I repeat my earlier quote do the leg work and there are deals to be done once restrictions are lifted..if you want to pay a hefty premium on an easy to get piece then that’s your choice..

Master
    In my 35+ years wearing the brand I have never ever paid above RRP on any New Rolex watch... just 4/5 years almost all were available at discounts...but we live in different times..
    NOS Vintage pieces which i collect are a different subject..
    You sound to me like you maybe have paid to much for your watch and are trying to continue to hype the hype..
    Going forward what prices will do is anyone’s guess but if you are looking for an Explorer don’t judge everything by the platforms you mentioned earlier I repeat my earlier quote do the leg work and there are deals to be done once restrictions are lifted..if you want to pay a hefty premium on an easy to get piece then that’s your choice..

I have one, bought from an AD at RRP.

You have not answered my question?

Sorry to interrupt the bickering.

Does anyone know the current price for an RSC service of an Explorer? Not that mine needs one, but I am curious.
    Is it around the £550 mark?

Thanks

David

I have one, bought from an AD at RRP.

You have not answered my question?
    The difference of £700 between a very nice example which you have no history of No matter how nice it looks and a new one with a brand new 5 year warranty and of course the wonderful Rolex buying experience is nothing IMO but we all make our own choices and I repeat I would never pay a premium on this easier to get piece..
    On my trip into London I had no intention of buying any watch the opportunity just arose and I bought it.
    I sold mine because I also own the 36mm and found the 39mm unbalanced and out of proportion with the bracelet but that’s a personal opinion and no slur on the watch i just didn’t like it and I wear anything from 34mm-44mm and everything in between.
    I don’t get hung up on watch sizes all watches can wear very different as we all have very different shaped wrists.