closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Memovox musings

Memovox musings

Hi all,
    Has anyone here owned any of JLC’s more recent Memovox’s? I‘ve always liked the Compressor version as it’s got quite a unique look as well as drawn to
    The rose gold master control version. Last year I tried on the new Polaris Memovox and was pretty impressed and still think about getting one.
    Anyway I wondered if anyone had actually found the alarm function as more than just a gimmick and how they got in with them in general?
    Any pics would also be good

I’ve owned the modern versions and never used the alarm function but also own a couple of the vintage models as well and curiously always find myself using it for no other reason than my own amusement

Can’t beat vintage

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pics and lovely watches for sure but I was concerned about vintage because of time keeping and service issues. What was your experience?

Craftsman
    What a beauty have been eyeing up a few vintage ones. Did you have much restoration work to do or was it as clean as that when you bought it?

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut View Post
    I’ve owned the modern versions and never used the alarm function but also own a couple of the vintage models as well and curiously always find myself using it for no other reason than my own amusement

Can’t beat vintage

Dave

Beautiful, Dave. Very hard to find as well, as most seem to have either refinished, or quite degraded original dials. I had a fruitless couple of years trying to source a good example.

Master
    I had a couple of these. The alarm didn't work on one and on the other I used it for fun. Aren't most complications redundant - in fact aren't watches redundant, so features are part of the fun of them.

I definitely enjoyed them while I had them. A watch you could wear anywhere.

Last pic was a Gran Sport Reverso - my JLC phase.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    I had a couple of these. The alarm didn't work on one and on the other I used it for fun. Aren't most complications redundant - in fact aren't watches redundant, so features are part of the fun of them.

I definitely enjoyed them while I had them. A watch you could wear anywhere.

Last pic was a Gran Sport Reverso - my JLC phase.
    I’ve seen these pics before, they’re not helping me fight the urge; wonderful.
    The Mc Memovox has a certain appeal with those compressor crowns that you don’t see anymore. Mmm

Master
    I've had a few dabbles with Memovoxes but never got any of them to stick...

First off was a watch bought on here years ago for next to nothing - a full set for around £2K - a ca 1997 Reveil with a tan ostrich strap. It had the dial discolouration that seems to affect this model, plus non-hacking movement which I thought was a bit poor for such a relatively modern JLC. Liking things to be mint and not wanting the repair hassle, I flipped it back on SC and it went within 5 minutes. Pic below shows the dial issue (but not my actual watch).

Next I was considering the Master Memovox as a 40th present and it was a toss-up between this and the Chrono...eventually I chose the chrono. I still keep an eye on this Memovox though and if I do move the chrono on I'd replace it with one. Berrys Leeds have a nice used one https://tinyurl.com/ycycyqzn

After reading a Hodinkee article, then a TZ one with a lovely refurb story that had a vintage Memovox in it, I bought this a couple of years ago from Chronext in their Jan sale:

Coming from larger watches once I opened the box I immediately felt it was too small and didn't suit me, though I realise now I was probably hasty in making my decision. The pic above is somewhat flattering imo: I found this watch to wear smaller than its 37mm, maybe because of the lack of bezel, or better put, the curved bezel, or maybe the dial size relative to case, I can't remember but it just didn't 'bite' like some watches do. Sometimes I regret not giving this piece more time, it was a great example and well priced at £2300. However, I can remember feeling it was a very strong 'no' and in fact also that my tastes were more modern and that vintage was just a bit too dainty for me.

So my advice would be to take your time and try on as many as you can.

Ian
    Last edited by ism123; 26th April 2020 at 21:03.

Master
    I have not had a memovox but would like to try one. I had an alarm on my Zenith Doublematic and enjoyed playing with it, and even set it to wake up in the morning occasionally

The watch in that TZ story (it was Tribe/Alan’s) was absolutely superb. The Chronext one above isn’t too shabby either.

Quote Originally Posted by ism123 View Post
    I've had a few dabbles with Memovoxes but never got any of them to stick...

First off was a watch bought on here years ago for next to nothing - a full set for around £2K - a ca 1997 Reveil with a tan ostrich strap. It had the dial discolouration that seems to affect this model, plus non-hacking movement which I thought was a bit poor for such a relatively modern JLC. Liking things to be mint and not wanting the repair hassle, I flipped it back on SC and it went within 5 minutes. Pic below shows the dial issue (but not my actual watch).

Next I was considering the Master Memovox as a 40th present and it was a toss-up between this and the Chrono...eventually I chose the chrono. I still keep an eye on this Memovox though and if I do move the chrono on I'd replace it with one. Berrys Leeds have a nice used one https://tinyurl.com/ycycyqzn

After reading a Hodinkee article, then a TZ one with a lovely refurb story that had a vintage Memovox in it, I bought this a couple of years ago from Chronext in their Jan sale:

Coming from larger watches once I opened the box I immediately felt it was too small and didn't suit me, though I realise now I was probably hasty in making my decision. The pic above is somewhat flattering imo: I found this watch to wear smaller than its 37mm, maybe because of the lack of bezel, or better put, the curved bezel, or maybe the dial size relative to case, I can't remember but it just didn't 'bite' like some watches do. Sometimes I regret not giving this piece more time, it was a great example and well priced at £2300. However, I can remember feeling it was a very strong 'no' and in fact also that my tastes were more modern and that vintage was just a bit too dainty for me.

So my advice would be to take your time and try on as many as you can.

Ian
    Cheers Ian,
    The one Berry’s has is nice but That particular model doesn’t have enough visual interest or contrast on the dial for me and I have an issue with those hands.
    The different variations do seem to wear very differently (much like their Reverso range). The MC range is still interesting as is the blue dialled anniversary model

I had a couple of Memovox...never used the alarm tbh..
    Stupidly sold this one instead...lovely tritium dial watch...light and comfy with JLC heart..

That’s a nice looking watch Cirotti. I didn’t know IWC had a JLC based alarm watch. I would have had that one from you!

Quote Originally Posted by cirotti View Post
    I had a couple of Memovox...never used the alarm tbh..
    Stupidly sold this one instead...lovely tritium dial watch...light and comfy with JLC heart..
    Whoa, these IWC alarms are so cool. Such a shame you let it go!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The watch in that TZ story (it was Tribe/Alan’s) was absolutely superb..

I still have it, as you would expect. Before and after a trip to Le Sentier -

I don’t wear it regularly these days, but I have done.

Master
    Wow at both the transformation and its appearance now - exquisite.

I have the amvox in titanium. I have used the alarm almost every time I wear it, although it doesn’t get as much wrist time as it used to.
    I should probably sell it but timing isn’t great at the moment is it.....

Master

One of my favourite watches. Mechanical alarm is great and wakes me up no problem although there’s no snooze obviously. Also handy for timing car parking on meter.

Thanks for adding. Do you use the watch and alarm regularly then?

Master
    I don’t use it regularly for work, but when I do wear it on a weekend or holidays, I always make a point of using the alarm much to my other halfs annoyance for some strange reason, which always makes me laugh.
    It’s very comfortable on the wrist and a decent size without being too big and bulky. Have you tried one yourself yet ?

I tried the new Polaris Memovox on and the MC Memovox. I’m hesitant on your dial and hand variation though for legibility so am steering towards gold or full sports model. I want it for more casual everyday use