closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2nd hand camera gear recommendation

Craftsman

2nd hand camera gear recommendation

Hope everyone is keeping sane, safe and well as we are living in extraordinary times.

My 19 year old son is getting interested in photography / video and media in general. He is currently (CORVID notwithstanding) studying Surf Science and Technology in Cornwall which includes an element of media and loves the outdoors in general. Given I supported him going on the course as it is his passion and gives him an opportunity to develop and find himself so to speak I am supportive of the directions it takes him in, and he has already done some limited paid work editing other peoples video footage, plus he has started making his own pieces. Currently he uses his iPhone and GoPro for pictures and video and then his MacBook Pro for editing and he is looking to actually get a camera.

Budget is a significant issue hence second hand but his research so far suggests the following:

Fujifilm XT-2 £450
    XF 18-55mm F2.8 - 4 Fuji lense £230

He appreciates in the longer term he would need more than one lens but he thinks in the short term the above is best bang for your buck. I know very little in this field so am looking for advice from the collective. He would use it for outdoor photography / video including but not limited to surf footage - for example he has done a piece from the weekend based on a long walk in the Trough of Bowland (in line with social distancing and equivalent restrictions obviously) with our dog. He has dismissed a point and press type camera (rightly or wrongly).

So my questions are - for the rough budget above, is his view of kit the most appropriate? Where are some recommended online second hand sites? Anyone got the above or similar gathering dust in a draw? Any drawbacks or significant limitations in his approach?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards
    Tim
    Last edited by tintin; 23rd April 2020 at 10:38.

Great cameras, I have two and haven't been disappointed. I previously owned full frame Canon SLR's (EOS 1Ds mk 3 & 5D mk 3) with a variety of L lenses, and got thoroughly fed up of carting it all around. The X-T2 is smaller and lighter, the XF lenses are good quality.

A battery grip is worthwhile, three batteries can cope with a couple of days shooting.

I buy & sell with MPB, their collection service ha always worked well valuations have been fair. The only issue I had with one product was dealt with quickly.
    Last edited by chrisdobson45; 23rd April 2020 at 10:47.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdobson45 View Post
    Great cameras, I have two and haven't been disappointed. I previously owned full frame Canon SLR's (EOS 1Ds mk 3 & 5D mk 3) with a variety of L lenses, and got thoroughly fed up of carting it all around. The X-T2 is smaller and lighter, the XF lenses are good quality.

A battery grip is worthwhile, three batteries can cope with a couple of days shooting.

I buy & sell with MPB, their collection service ha always worked well valuations have been fair. The only issue I had with one product was dealt with quickly.

Very helpful Chris, thanks, and he has found the gear on MPB. His internet research skills (on stuff he is interested in :)) is usually very good but I was just looking for some experienced second opinions.

As an XT-2 owner and ex Canon user for decades I would second that choice. He cant go wrong with that, its a lot of camera for the money.

Craftsman
    Fuji makes great kit but you are generally much better buying Canon or Nikon. There is a much wider range of second hand stuff for sale and lots more accessories for their equipment.

Just go on to MPB and look at the number of Nikon/Canon lenses for sale. Also 3rd party lens manufactures always make lenses for Nikon/Canon first.

If you can stretch to constant aperture lenses rather than than variable aperture like the XF 18-55mm F2.8. which constantly changes aperture between f/2.8 and f/4 as you zoom in and out.

I have an X-T3 and an X-T20, both good cameras but I bought the X-T20 for video as it’s smaller and lighter which tends
    to be an advantage when I do video. If this is his first proper camera might also be inclined to go for something which
    gives you a ‘P’ option but which also allows you to go down the manual route later which you don’t get on the X-T2.
    If he later wanted to switch to the X-T2/3 would just need to change the body not the lenses.

The two disadvantages of Fuji X range cameras are pretty poor battery life (sorted with a battery grip and a couple of extra batteries) and a smaller range of lenses in comparison to Nikon and Canon. You can get third party lenses (I have an excellent Samyang 12mm) but afaik non have auto focus.

The battery life on a X-T2 is around 340 shots, and by comparison a Nikon D750 is roughly 1200.

Despite of these points I'd still recommend Fuji.

Cheers,
    Gary

Craftsman
    Thx so far to everyone responding, sounds like his choices are pretty reasonable in the real world with perhaps a few more avenues to investigate. Any further views welcome.

Just a few things for you and your son to consider, going on what you've said:

(Btw, I owned the X-T2 (and X-Pro1 and X-T1) and I really liked the Fuji system while I had it, so I do speak from experience)

It sounds like your son will be shooting stills and video in equal amounts so it's worth considering cameras that are good at video (most cameras nowadays are good enough at stills anyway - that's not an issue)
    Good AF tracking would help, especially with action/sports
    Weather resistant? Possibly - is there a chance it will get wet?
    Will he be keeping this for a while or is the aim to upgrade in a year or so?
    Does your son enjoy editing video and colour grading? If so, a camera with a flat log profile would be an advantage
    Will he be using a gimbal for the video? Don't forget that the X-T2 and probably all cameras in your price bracket won't have in body stabilisation

The X-T2 is excellent for stills but its auto focus isn't as good for action - I mean, you can still get good results but you'll have to work harder. When I had the camera I found it frustrating at times for action and keeping focus for fast moving subjects.

My suggestion is outside your budget so I'm not a lot of help really, but it would be the Sony A6400. This has fantastic auto-focus (including eye-AF), is excellent at sports and action photography and video, and has a S-Log profile which will help your son with video. Unfortunately, a used example will set you back £674 on MBP, and that looks like your total budget. I was also thinking of the Panasonic GH4 as that was an excellent hybrid camera for stills/video. The problem is the cost of the lenses for mirrorless cameras, although MPB does have really good deals.

A DSLR will have fantastic tracking for action and auto focus - the only downside (with the budget you have) is that they are not as user-friendly for video until you move to the more expensive models. I quite like the Nikon D3500 and I learned photography on Nikon bodies.

You've given information that makes it tricky to identify a camera completely suited to your son's needs, but he has to start somewhere and he could do a lot worse than with the Fuji set up.

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    Hope everyone is keeping sane, safe and well as we are living in extraordinary times.

My 19 year old son is getting interested in photography / video and media in general. He is currently (CORVID notwithstanding) studying Surf Science and Technology in Cornwall which includes an element of media and loves the outdoors in general. Given I supported him going on the course as it is his passion and gives him an opportunity to develop and find himself so to speak I am supportive of the directions it takes him in, and he has already done some limited paid work editing other peoples video footage, plus he has started making his own pieces. Currently he uses his iPhone and GoPro for pictures and video and then his MacBook Pro for editing and he is looking to actually get a camera.

Budget is a significant issue hence second hand but his research so far suggests the following:

Fujifilm XT-2 £450
    XF 18-55mm F2.8 - 4 Fuji lense £230

He appreciates in the longer term he would need more than one lens but he thinks in the short term the above is best bang for your buck. I know very little in this field so am looking for advice from the collective. He would use it for outdoor photography / video including but not limited to surf footage - for example he has done a piece from the weekend based on a long walk in the Trough of Bowland (in line with social distancing and equivalent restrictions obviously) with our dog. He has dismissed a point and press type camera (rightly or wrongly).

So my questions are - for the rough budget above, is his view of kit the most appropriate? Where are some recommended online second hand sites? Anyone got the above or similar gathering dust in a draw? Any drawbacks or significant limitations in his approach?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards
    Tim

Master
    I can't comment on the Fuju kit. It could be worth looking at the micro four thirds system. It is quite mature now and there will be plenty of second hand bodies available. Both Panasonic and Olympus use the system (and possibly some specific video systems too). If I remember correctly Panasonic developed their bodies with film in mind so it'll worth looking at them. However Olympus bodies have better inbuilt stabilisation.

Away from systems the advice I was given when I started was to spend as much as possible on the lens as better glass will have a noticeable impact on image quality than the bells and whistles on the more expensive bodies. Certainly while still learning techniques and settings. Once the basic skills have been mastered the body can then be upgraded more easily, and often more cheaply, than the lenses.

Master
    A good place to read up about older kit is

https://dpreview.com/

They keep all of their equipment reviews so your son can see whether or not the body in particular does what he wants it to do.

Craftsman
    Many thanks for all the inputs, very helpful.

Have a nice evening, more views welcome :)

Master
    Whilst he’s still going through Uni and developing his skills and areas of interest, he could do a lot worse than a Sony RX-10 Mk 3?

Check out the overview section at the following link, especially the slow mo video. I can imagine surf shots would look quite excellent.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-c...amera-1595182/

The XT-2 is a fine camera, I owned one for a couple of years, but autofocus is only ‘ok’ by today’s standards for action photography. The XT-2 also lacks in body stabilisation which is a bit of an issue for video work. It’s a beautifully made camera though, with good kerb appeal. I can see why he’d want one.

I owned the RX10-4 for a while, I’m no videographer but it’s capabilities made even my efforts look good. The mk3 has the same lens, and video output. It’s also no slouch in the AF stakes.

It’s available used for the budget you mention, and will cover so many bases until he narrows his focus, and understands what he really needs from his kit.

Just an alternative view.