closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Coffee thread

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    My el-cheapo Andrew James espresso machine has a torn group head seal & it looks like it's not a standard part. Andrew James are no longer trading, so I'm in the market for a new machine. Seems a shame for the sake of a seal, but hey.

I'm currently looking at a Sage Duo-Temp pro. The Bambino plus can't dispense hot water, which rules it out.

The Duo-Temp has preinfusion, 15 bar pump (aiming for 9 bar extraction) & a PID controller. It doesn't have a 3 way valve, doses aren't metered (I use 30ml espresso cups, so don't really care.)

Are there other machines in this bracket worth considering? I'm mainly making Americano, with the odd latte or cappuccino for guests.
    I’ve been really happy with the Duo Temp Pro. I’ve had mine for 5 years and it’s not missed a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I’ve just put in my second order from Pebble & Pine.

Very impressed with their coffee, and you get 20% off first order, it seems

They will grind the beans to your requirement also.

https://pebbleandpine.co.uk/collections/coffee-beans

I’m still loathe to go for a subscription with companies, but may go that route when I run out of my big COSTCO bags.

Whenever I use ground coffee - I tend to vac it down in bags for 1 week (I only use those when I am working away from home)
    An update:

I didn't feel I could justify another order at their prices, so topped up with a couple of bulk bags from Costco.

Pebbleandpine sent me an e-mail "We miss you! - order before ****** and we'll give you 20% off your order"

So - ordered a few more bags

I only use Black Cat Coffee now, just always on the money

Forum15 gets you a 15% discount as well

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I’ve been really happy with the Duo Temp Pro. I’ve had mine for 5 years and it’s not missed a beat.
    Mine is coming up on its second anniversary. Very happy with it.

Thank you.
    Just had a cup from the cafetierre & based on that, I ordered the Duo-Temp & paid extra for delivery tomorrow. Let's hope it arrives tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post

That will be next on my list then - current batch I’ve gone back to square mile and they’re still pretty darn good. No complaints from me - roasting is very good and their filter blend is still one of the best.

Previously I had pebble and pine and some good single origin. They definitely will have my business at some point in the year again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.
    Just had a cup from the cafetierre & based on that, I ordered the Duo-Temp & paid extra for delivery tomorrow. Let's hope it arrives tomorrow morning.
    It arrived that afternoon. I'm still putting naff beans through, not got the grind right yet, but even so it's producing better coffee than the £70 Andrew James machine. I suspect it's a combination
    n of the proportional/integral/differential water temp controller and the fact that it comes with single walled baskets. It's a nicely built piece of kit, rather happy with it so far.

It arrived that afternoon. I'm still putting naff beans through, not got the grind right yet, but even so it's producing better coffee than the £70 Andrew James machine. I suspect it's a combination
    n of the proportional/integral/differential water temp controller and the fact that it comes with single walled baskets. It's a nicely built piece of kit, rather happy with it so far.
    You won’t get the grind right with naff beans, the right grind varies from bean to bean, so start using ones you actually want to drink :)

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    You won’t get the grind right with naff beans, the right grind varies from bean to bean, so start using ones you actually want to drink :)
    Well that's a bugger. I generally use 125g of beans then change coffee to something else, rotating through my favorites (just like a wear a watch for a week, then choose something else). That's barely enough coffee to get the grind spot on before I change again.

(Thanks for the pointer, I'm still learning.)

Master

My first bag arrived today. Thank you. Tried their house blend. Rather good.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    My first bag arrived today. Thank you. Tried their house blend. Rather good.
    They are very good, that house blend is my stock, plus once a month single origin

Well that's a bugger. I generally use 125g of beans then change coffee to something else, rotating through my favorites (just like a wear a watch for a week, then choose something else). That's barely enough coffee to get the grind spot on before I change again.

(Thanks for the pointer, I'm still learning.)
    If you like the same style roast and bean ish, then it’s not going to be massively different, but it will be different, I buy 250g bags, and it only takes a couple of shots to dial it in. If you’re rotating through faves, then you could always note the grind setting that work for each bean. But, I’ll still say you should ditch the naff beans and buy some you’ll enjoy 😊

- - - Updated - - -

I’m buying a lot from Horsham at the moment, they seem to be hitting the spot for me, it’s usually either them or craft house who get my money.

Coffee thread

Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post
    darn it! missed out!!
    More stock on sale at 7pm tomorrow (Tuesday, 29th).

Niche Zero that is!

Heads Up

MaxiCoffee have the largest Alessi 9090 Moka Pot for £135.80. (Much cheaper than everywhere else, RRP is ~£200.) Already have the 6 cup but fancied a larger one - fantastic design and look lovely!

From France but ordered Friday and arrived Wednesday.

https://www.maxicoffee.com/en-gb/ale...at-p-7577.html

Just got my Niche Zero yesterday

Just got my Niche Zero yesterday

Had mine over a year, performs very well. Have you checked out Dave C's YT videos on it? Useful for cleaning & calibrating.

I clean mine out every couple of months (about 6kg through it), very easy and a 5 minute job.

My only grumble would be the section behind the chute, it gets a bit worn by the cup as they're quite close & make contact quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Had mine over a year, performs very well. Have you checked out Dave C's YT videos on it? Useful for cleaning & calibrating.

I clean mine out every couple of months (about 6kg through it), very easy and a 5 minute job.

My only grumble would be the section behind the chute, it gets a bit worn by the cup as they're quite close & make contact quite a bit.
    Had mine a few months, should clean it really!

Do you find much variation in grind speed with different beans? Mine really struggled with a certain Tesco finest bean, taking 3 times as long as others. Read they can struggle with light roasts but this was very dark (and oily?).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Do you find much variation in grind speed with different beans? Mine really struggled with a certain Tesco finest bean, taking 3 times as long as others. Read they can struggle with light roasts but this was very dark (and oily?).
    I don't vary beans too much! I use Redber Brazilian Ipanema Dark Roast as a daily and the odd batch from a local roaster - I sometimes need to adjust the grind a couple of notches if the extraction is too long/short, but haven't noticed a real difference in time it takes to grind.

Thanks for the tip above

Really should get a better bean than Tesco tbh could be months old, I buy freshly roasted and find I have to go finer after it gets to 3 weeks old at which point I buy another

Thanks for the tip above

Really should get a better bean than Tesco tbh could be months old, I buy freshly roasted and find I have to go finer after it gets to 3 weeks old at which point I buy another

1kg lasts us about 9 days, so I order a replacement when I open a fresh bag. That way, new one always rests for week or so before it gets opened.

I don't vary beans too much! I use Redber Brazilian Ipanema Dark Roast as a daily and the odd batch from a local roaster - I sometimes need to adjust the grind a couple of notches if the extraction is too long/short, but haven't noticed a real difference in time it takes to grind.
    Thanks!

Thanks for the tip above

I know not the freshest but will that make them harder? Never had a problem with all types of Lavazza beans either.

Anyway, am now buying fresh roasted beans - have tried Redber + Pebble and Pine so far.

One thing to check with your NZ is that the main bolt is tight. Put mine on first time and noticed appeared to be wobbling, wasn't even finger tight!

I get Black Cat when I can't support my local roaster on Dartmoor

Morning, just trying to keep my sales corner post count percentage down

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    My delonghi grinder packed up recently. Decided I didn't want to spend much on better one so plumped for a manual grinder. Little bit of a faff but I quite like it. I only tend to have one coffee a day

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Hello folks

Looking for recommendations in the £30-45/kg delivered range for coffees to use for pour over. I like medium roast with nutty, creamy, chocolatey tasting notes. I do not like fruity or too acidic.

My previous go to place have raised prices by 25-33% which means my go to beans are now £60/kg which I'm not comfortable paying.

As it happens I just ran out of beans today so need to order and receive asap!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Hello folks

Looking for recommendations in the £30-45/kg delivered range for coffees to use for pour over. I like medium roast with nutty, creamy, chocolatey tasting notes. I do not like fruity or too acidic.

My previous go to place have raised prices by 25-33% which means my go to beans are now £60/kg which I'm not comfortable paying.

Have a look at www.redber.co.uk. Plenty to choose from and drop downs allowing you to browse by flavour, origin, brew method etc, plus a variety of shipping options for cost or speed.

Hello folks

Got to blackcat coffee

Hello all

After a decade of Nespresso capsules I switched in December 2020, as I am an espresso lover, finally to the entry level single circuit ECM coffee machine.

I read a lot and experimented even more, changed several beans and brands, mainly from local, regional bio qualities.

I tuned water quality using a filter reducing water hardness (no mineral water from bottles) aiming to keep most variables constant.

I learned that at the end only by setting properly the grinding size the best weight/time brew ratio is achieved.

I always grind 18 gr of beans and extract ca. 30-40 seconds. The weight of the double espresso in one cup should then be 30-50 gr. or ca. twice the weight of the dry beans.

I also read brew time should be 20-24 seconds… half as much. Same grinding setup would generate less espresso. Increasing grinderd coffee powder size would increase brew output.

I first level then tamper with little pressure. Not too much weight. Coffee is well distributed with sand density all over the space. Filter is clean.

“Crema” is beautiful, temperature is fixed at 92 degree Celsius, pressure as well.

I have to admit however that I am not happy with the result. The brew is simply too strong. Smell is great. I can taste the strength but also feel it in my nerves…

I’ll try to post some pictures of the sequence.

Perhaps someone has some precious hints for me how to improve.

Cheers

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ginpopy View Post
    Hello all

After a decade of Nespresso capsules I switched in December 2020, as I am an espresso lover, finally to the entry level single circuit ECM coffee machine.

I read a lot and experimented even more, changed several beans and brands, mainly from local, regional bio qualities.

I tuned water quality using a filter reducing water hardness (no mineral water from bottles) aiming to keep most variables constant.

I learned that at the end only by setting properly the grinding size the best weight/time brew ratio is achieved.

I always grind 18 gr of beans and extract ca. 30-40 seconds. The weight of the double espresso in one cup should then be 30-50 gr. or ca. twice the weight of the dry beans.

I also read brew time should be 20-24 seconds… half as much. Same grinding setup would generate less espresso. Increasing grinderd coffee powder size would increase brew output.

I first level then tamper with little pressure. Not too much weight. Coffee is well distributed with sand density all over the space. Filter is clean.

“Crema” is beautiful, temperature is fixed at 92 degree Celsius, pressure as well.

I have to admit however that I am not happy with the result. The brew is simply too strong. Smell is great. I can taste the strength but also feel it in my nerves…

I’ll try to post some pictures of the sequence.

Perhaps someone has some precious hints for me how to improve.

Cheers

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    18 in 56 out is a lingo

My espressos are 13g in 27 out

Experiment with different beans perhaps

ed335d, I used Redber up until recently but was recommended https://www.horshamcoffeeroaster.co.uk
    Have you used them at all ?

Master
    Hello folks

I use Squaremile aka James Hoffman’s company. They tend to deliver very quickly even with the cheapest postage.
    Last edited by reecie; 26th January 2022 at 21:17.

Hello folks

Big fan of a roasters not far from me, https://castironroasters.com/
    Beans for the home and an Aeropress grind for work.
    Last edited by bigvic; 26th January 2022 at 22:30.

Quote Originally Posted by BRGRSP View Post
    ed335d, I used Redber up until recently but was recommended https://www.horshamcoffeeroaster.co.uk
    Have you used them at all ?
    I don’t think I have, would be interested in hearing what you think if you give them a go.

Any reason you stopped using Redber?

i like Horsham but then i drink filter and am at the lighter roast/fruit driven coffees and not dark/burnt/ashy flavours, not tried their espresso blends but i doubt they will be over roasted with that dark and oily look if that’s s what you prefer.

Thank you for the suggestions

I will work my way through them all at some point. Started with 2x 500g from redber (started with redber for no particular reason)

Thank you for the suggestions

I will work my way through them all at some point. Started with 2x 500g from redber (started with redber for no particular reason)
    I quite like this one (as well as the Brazil Ipanema Dark)

https://www.redber.co.uk/collections...francais-blend

They benefit from resting for a week before opening.

How are people storing their beans? Usually buy 1kg from a local roaster (£22 delivered by hand, sometimes the same day), split and vacuum seal 3x250g and keep all in fridge.

Fridge is a moist environment full of food smells so not somewhere for coffee.
    probably fine if vacuum bagged but once opened i would just use an airtight jar not in direct sunlight or near a radiator.

Coffee thread

Do keep opened in clipped (sealed) plastic box so probably ok for smells but does pick up condensation every time is opened, maybe won’t bother.

How are people storing their beans? Usually buy 1kg from a local roaster (£22 delivered by hand, sometimes the same day), split and vacuum seal 3x250g and keep all in fridge.
    Once opened the ready use beans (about 150 g) go into a stainless steel canister and the remainder goes into one of these: Amazon link.

I tend to buy a 1kg bag at a time, then decant into one of these:

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/brands/airscape.html?manufacturer=247

The internal lid pushes the air out, so very good for bean storage.

The bag gets folded and clipped, so only opened a maximum of 2-3 times.

Beans and canister then get stored in a cupboard without any foods/herbs etc.
    Last edited by ed335d; 27th January 2022 at 12:19.

I have a set of these airscape for my beans. They look great and are super easy and quick to use and work great. Much better than the vacuum canisters which I found to be a bit of a faff!

I can second the airscape, great way of storing beans.

Ross

I don’t think I have, would be interested in hearing what you think if you give them a go.

Any reason you stopped using Redber?
    I have tried them and prefer their offerings to Redber, of course coffee like wine is all very subjective.
    I've also found Horsham delivery is more reliable.

My son swears by https://www.coaltowncoffee.co.uk/ and gave me a couple of bags of their Anthracite No.2 to try recently and I must say for my taste it is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Once opened the ready use beans (about 150 g) go into a stainless steel canister and the remainder goes into one of these: Amazon link.
    Thanks for this but 1.5L capacity seems bit too large TBH.

I buy a kilo of beans, fill my grinder and the rest go in a couple of old illy coffee tins with screw lids. Not sure how airtight they are or if I’d taste the difference in my latte.

Cheap and easy to use...www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151643969860...?

I already use these for excess teabags...why not coffee?

Hello folks

I use

rountoncoffee.co.uk/

Master
    I used to be a member on CFUK but recently tried logging in to see they’ve been taken over recently. Is it still a popular forum or are there better ones now? Looks like there’s less activity now.

Craftsman
    Looks like some of the old regulars on CFUK have setup https://coffeetime.freeflarum.com/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk