closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: COSC Chronometer - Swiss only?

COSC Chronometer - Swiss only?

This subject has come up elsewhere so I thought I'd post here for a) some clarity on the subject and b) hopefully others and I may learn something!

Can only 'Swiss' watches, once tested and passed COSC, be called chronometers and state as such on the dial?

Can a watch that isn't 'Swiss' be issued a COSC certificate as long as it doesn't use/promote the word 'chronometer'?

Bremont, for example, state 'chronometer' on their watch dials yet I though they were considered to be an English brand, not legally a Swiss one where the bulk of the value of their watches comes from Switzerland.

My apologies if this has come up before, I have had a quick search however I can't see anything that answers these specific questions.
    Last edited by CardShark; 18th April 2020 at 14:15.

Master
    I don’t think chronometer certification is exclusive to COSC.

My Bremont does have a COSC certificate, although it was an early Swiss Made model. Totally irrelevant now as the watch has been serviced since purchase. As COSC test uncased movements, not the whole watch. It’s quite possible they only test movements from Swiss companies.

Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

Dave

Master

COSC Chronometer - Swiss only?

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lughugger; 18th April 2020 at 17:59.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    This subject has come up elsewhere so I thought I'd post here for a) some clarity on the subject and b) hopefully others and I may learn something!

Can only 'Swiss' watches, once tested and passed COSC, be called chronometers and state as such on the dial?

Can a watch that isn't 'Swiss' be issued a COSC certificate as long as it doesn't use/promote the word 'chronometer'?

Bremont, for example, state 'chronometer' on their watch dials yet I though they were considered to be an English brand, not legally a Swiss one where the bulk of the value of their watches comes from Switzerland.

My apologies if this has come up before, I have had a quick search however I can't see anything that answers these specific questions.

https://www.cosc.swiss/en/exclusively-swiss-watchmaking

Bremont use Swiss made movements, but even if not COSC certified, there are other labs which can issue a chronometer certification.
    Germany has the Glashutte Observatory, and Besançon, in France, also offers the same.

https://www2.wempe.com/en/the-compan...te/chronometry

Some brands, and the Japanese ones, choose to do their own testing in-house, and more often than not, to higher standards than those mentioned.