closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lockdown views update

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    I would say 40% of the population. I know loads who have had it including myself my kids and my girlfriend. People are very naive to believe only 3-4%. This is so contagious you have no idea, just being outside and going to the supermarket you are 100% guaranteed to get it.
    Were you, and the people you claim to know, all tested and positively diagnosed?

Your assertion that ‘you’re 100% guaranteed get it’ is a somewhat irresponsible comment.

The likelihood that 40% of the population have been infected is fanciful conjecture.

Posts like this help no-one, I don’t believe in burying my head in the sand or misplaced optimism, but I detest the negativity that’s being posted on several areas of this forum at the moment.

I've been managing lock down just fine until today. We need food supplies and I don't want to go to the supermarket. I've been working from home for four weeks now, only going out for daily exercise at times when less people are about and for essential food supplies. Home is where I feel safe.

I'm the only one in our house doing the shopping. Today I'm starting to feel the burden of it on the basis of Russian roulette; every time I go out my odds lesson of being safe. My wife, who is recovering from radiotherapy, is terrified of leaving the house and isn't even taking exercise.

I suffer with anxiety which I manage via medication and Mindfulness but both are being tested thoroughly now.

I simply don't want to go out. Maybe I'll feel differently tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've been managing lock down just fine until today. We need food supplies and I don't want to go to the supermarket. I've been working from home for four weeks now, only going out for daily exercise at times when less people are about and for essential food supplies. Home is where I feel safe.

I'm the only one in our house doing the shopping. Today I'm starting to feel the burden of it on the basis of Russian roulette; every time I go out my odds lesson of being safe. My wife, who is recovering from radiotherapy, is terrified of leaving the house and isn't even taking exercise.

I suffer with anxiety which I manage via medication and Mindfulness but both are being tested thoroughly now.

Why not get the shopping sent to you? Or perhaps a friend or relative to do the shopping for you?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Why not get the shopping sent to you? Or perhaps a friend or relative to do the shopping for you?

R
    Try getting a slot.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

R
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Try getting a slot.

Try not assuming that it is only supermarkets that deliver.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I wouldn't ask anyone else to go and do something I don't fancy doing.

If I could get a delivery slot that would be brilliant but it's impossible. I've tried every supermarket and none have had available slots since this began. I can get a click and collect in two weeks time which never helps.

I'm working flat-out ten hours a day at the moment too so maybe tiredness is contributing to the way I'm feeling.

R

Try not assuming that it is only supermarkets that deliver.

R
    It wasn't meant sarcastically, I'm well aware supermarkets aren't the only option thanks, but the few small independents doing deliveries (not counting pubs doing take outs) around our way are swamped also.

If I could get a delivery slot that would be brilliant but it's impossible. I've tried every supermarket and none have had available slots since this began. I can get a click and collect in two weeks time which never helps.

I'm working flat-out ten hours a day at the moment too so maybe tiredness is contributing to the way I'm feeling.
    In your (or wife’s) situation wouldn’t worry about getting someone else who’s able to do it.

I think that you should accept that there are those happy and willing to assist you. If you absolutely have to do it yourself try to find the quieter supermarkets and less popular times, you'll find it a whole lot better for the nerves. I'm doing the shopping for a couple of households because I'm content with the precautions that I'm able to take. Around here the mid-sized and smaller supermarkets tend to be quietest, particularly early on just after the 'vulnerable' time slots. Our local Co-op is a joy. If you have a decent brolly go to one without external cover when it's raining!
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Were you, and the people you claim to know, all tested and positively diagnosed?

Your assertion that ‘you’re 100% guaranteed get it’ is a somewhat irresponsible comment.

The likelihood that 40% of the population have been infected is fanciful conjecture.

Posts like this help no-one, I don’t believe in burying my head in the sand or misplaced optimism, but I detest the negativity that’s being posted on several areas of this forum at the moment.
    So, I too have presented symptoms of COVID and whilst the fever/ aching limbs stage was deeply unpleasant, it was the breathing that was most uncomfortable. The real pain though has been the breathlessness post infection, after four weeks now I am still not back to normal - probably about 80% recovered and improving each day so all good.
    Now I am not going to disclose sources or specific details etc but, someone close to me is very high up within the NHS system, and the 40% plus figure quoted in this thread is not unrealistic - in fact suspicions are that it’s possibly higher. But, this is not in fact a negative thing as it demonstrates some people show no symptoms whatsoever, some experience only limited symptoms etc etc - and that there may be some general immunity when the second wave hits (and it will as isolating is lifted).

Globally figures are flawed as everyone is reporting differently, and mortality rates are also reported in a different manner in each country.
    It is not all doom and gloom, things are just different at the moment, expectation is to start lifting constrictions week 1 of May. This will only happen though if numbers continue to improve and people stay home - sort of take your cod liver oil and get it done with, not nice but necessary.
    There is a chance that, with Blitz mentality, we may actually come out of this with a better country - people actually talking to/ helping each other.

Above all, take care fellow forummers and be nice to each other - life is too short.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    That's very funny.
    maybe so but it's true.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    What would you have had them do? Immediately ground all aircraft, close all ports, not repatriate UK citizens, close all hospitals except for emergencies, impose a lock down, curfews and place people under house arrest, soldiers on the streets, anyone with symptoms be rounded up?
    I would agree with the first three, there are still thousands of people entering the UK everyday none of which are being tested.

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I agree with many, three more weeks then they'll start relaxing things, or they risk not only even more 'financial damage' but civil unrest too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Just curious why do you think there’d be civil unrest after 3 more weeks, much of Europe is currently into their fifth week and counting, sure it’s not easy but if it helps saves lives plus not seeing any signs of civil unrest here as yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    While they may start to relax things early due to financial concerns I really can't see any civil unrest after another 3 weeks. Not even a peep of it.

Sorry Gents, my poor wording but by 'civil unrest' I meant more people ignoring it and subsequently there being an increase in minor confrontations with the police etc.

While many of us have gardens and what have you I have several colleagues who are families are of four or five and live in two-bedroom flats in the middle of heavily built up areas.
    They and their families who live only just above the 'breadline' are struggling far more than I and mine are, and every day they tell me that they're getting closer to simply 'taking their chances'.

I'm not explaining it very well (sorry) but I do believe the lockdown is harder for the less well off and they'll be the ones to 'revolt' first.

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    So, I too have presented symptoms of COVID and whilst the fever/ aching limbs stage was deeply unpleasant, it was the breathing that was most uncomfortable. The real pain though has been the breathlessness post infection, after four weeks now I am still not back to normal - probably about 80% recovered and improving each day so all good....

There is a chance that, with Blitz mentality, we may actually come out of this with a better country - people actually talking to/ helping each other.

Above all, take care fellow forummers and be nice to each other - life is too short.

Sorry to read that mate, I hope you continue to make a full recovery.

And re: your second and third points above, I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by FULL TIMER View Post
    I would agree with the first three, there are still thousands of people entering the UK everyday none of which are being tested.
    Amazing isn't it.

On another note myself and the nipper both had a pretty bad but short-lived bout of something back in midish February, had thought a 'regular' flu but now not so sure...absolutely drained me of energy for 3 or 4 days, aches and a bad cough, it came and went hard and quick, even less impact on the boy, thankfully...apparently, as read and reported via Mrs P, there's been some speculation in the better Spanish press by medics as to whether it was the wuhan lurgy but there's no way to tell..
    Last edited by Passenger; 18th April 2020 at 15:54.

Craftsman
    Firstly, they won't have any customers, and secondly they will be shut down by the police.
    why would the police stop the self employed working there is no law that says we can't, I certainly haven't stopped as yet and still have a few weeks work ahead of me,

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    So, I too have presented symptoms of COVID and whilst the fever/ aching limbs stage was deeply unpleasant, it was the breathing that was most uncomfortable. The real pain though has been the breathlessness post infection, after four weeks now I am still not back to normal - probably about 80% recovered and improving each day so all good.
    Now I am not going to disclose sources or specific details etc but, someone close to me is very high up within the NHS system, and the 40% plus figure quoted in this thread is not unrealistic - in fact suspicions are that it’s possibly higher. But, this is not in fact a negative thing as it demonstrates some people show no symptoms whatsoever, some experience only limited symptoms etc etc - and that there may be some general immunity when the second wave hits (and it will as isolating is lifted).

Globally figures are flawed as everyone is reporting differently, and mortality rates are also reported in a different manner in each country.
    It is not all doom and gloom, things are just different at the moment, expectation is to start lifting constrictions week 1 of May. This will only happen though if numbers continue to improve and people stay home - sort of take your cod liver oil and get it done with, not nice but necessary.

For sure this 40% is true in certain areas. Look at New York City. Already there are over 10k deaths in a population of 8.4m. Using the current estimated infection fatality rate of 0.35% (based on various serological studies) that implies that if nobody else dies in New York City from now on that 35% of the population are or have been infected. As more people die the implication is that infection numbers are more. In reality 50% or more may have had Covid in New York City. Already 0.12% of the population of New York City has died from Covid-19

I’ve not seen much detail around immunity from the virus if you’ve already had it. I would have hoped there would be some sort of testing and conclusions on this coming out of Italy or other countries ahead of us. The absence of this info makes me think that there may not be high levels of immunity. That will impact upon how we come out of this as without herd immunity, we will be stuck in a cycle of re-infection until a vaccine is available.

Craftsman
    I'm talking about westernised countries, and those with a growing middle class, such as China.

I see veganism, or near-veganism in all our futures. Raising animals for food is unsustainable.
    I certainly don't see it in mine.

Master

If you are spending virtually all of the time isolated in your house then you are pretty safe. Spending an hour in a supermarket is not 100% safe but with keeping yourself distanced, the odds of you being infected are still very low. You are doing precisely what you should be doing, so the chances are you will be fine.

There are 168 hours in a week and if you are careful in the little 1 hour in the supermarket, just do the maths.

Also remember, 10,000 people or thereabouts die every week in the UK from car accidents, old age and even the clap. Statistically you are onto a damn good chance of surviving , so cheer up.

Master
    Swedish epidemiologist lays out Sweden's thinking, worth 35 minutes of lockdown viewing time:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfN2...ature=emb_logo

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you are spending virtually all of the time isolated in your house then you are pretty safe. Spending an hour in a supermarket is not 100% safe but with keeping yourself distanced, the odds of you being infected are still very low. You are doing precisely what you should be doing, so the chances are you will be fine.

There are 168 hours in a week and if you are careful in the little 1 hour in the supermarket, just do the maths.

Also remember, 10,000 people or thereabouts die every week in the UK from car accidents, old age and even the clap. Statistically you are onto a damn good chance of surviving , so cheer up.
    Doctor Mick.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

why would the police stop the self employed working there is no law that says we can't, I certainly haven't stopped as yet and still have a few weeks work ahead of me,
    Depends on what you do. The original post was referring to those whose businesses have been closed down.

I certainly don't see it in mine.
    Suit yourself, it won't be compulsory, but the price of meat is going to go up.

- - - Updated - - -

maybe so but it's true.
    I doubt it.

Blog Entries
    Suit yourself, it won't be compulsory, but the price of meat is going to go up.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt it.
    Given the ever increasing world population, all needing to be fed, can you see any food getting cheaper?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Doctor Mick.
    Stop being sarky, I did not quote medicine, I quoted stats. If he self isolates for 166 hours a week and pops into a supermarket for just 2 hours a week and keeps his distance, he is likely to be ok. Your comment was either sarky or confrontational and is wildly inappropriate to someone who is distressed.

maybe so but it's true.
    Please don't say you believe that nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    It wasn't meant sarcastically, I'm well aware supermarkets aren't the only option thanks, but the few small independents doing deliveries (not counting pubs doing take outs) around our way are swamped also.
    Mine wasn't meant sarcastically either - I did mean to add a wink smiley - but my comment was based on the fact we can get stuff delivered to us from a grocery store (that's about 4 miles away) for a small delivery charge and usually it's within 48 hours of phoning.

R

Mine wasn't meant sarcastically either - I did mean to add a wink smiley - but my comment was based on the fact we can get stuff delivered to us from a grocery store (that's about 4 miles away) for a small delivery charge and usually it's within 48 hours of phoning.

R
    No problem, the written word can often come across differently than intended , and yes, a good shout if you can find such a shop.

Given the ever increasing world population, all needing to be fed, can you see any food getting cheaper?
    That would depend on what agricultral strategy was taken. If all farmland was given over to human food crops, then yes.

Blog Entries
    That would depend on what agricultral strategy was taken. If all farmland was given over to human food crops, then yes.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...ent-vegetarian

Interesting, thanks. I can't see how meat & fish aren't going to rocket in price, though, relative to fruit & veg. Or maybe it won't, and instead we'll overheat the planet and starve that way.

Isn't one solution to start eating insects?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...feed-the-world

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Isn't one solution to start eating insects?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...feed-the-world
    Indeed it is. I think I'd prefer beans & rice.

Interesting, thanks. I can't see how meat & fish aren't going to rocket in price, though, relative to fruit & veg. Or maybe it won't, and instead we'll overheat the planet and starve that way.
    Only if we allow massive population increase. If we only had 4B people on the planet, then I am sure we would be able to eat whatever we like without any endangerment of the Planet.

It’s not what we consume that that’s the problem, its the volume of what we consume which is.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Only if we allow massive population increase. If we only had 4B people on the planet, then I am sure we would be able to eat whatever we like without any endangerment of the Planet.

It’s not what we consume that that’s the problem, its the volume of what we consume which is.
    It's a combination of both. Vegans do far less damage than carnivores.

It's a combination of both. Vegans do far less damage than carnivores.
    No it isn’t, a small number of omnivores (I am unaware of any humans being carnivores) would do significantly less Environmental damage than 8B Vegans.

Plus has it occurred to you than much of the countryside is unable/unsuitable to grow crops, but is perfectly suited for grazing animals.

I applauded your commitment , but unfortunately you sound just like a Vegan! plus as a ex-doctor don’t you think that a balanced diet is a good thing?

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche