closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch brands that could disappear as a result of Covid 19

Watch brands that could disappear as a result of Covid 19

Having heard that Romain Jerome have filed for bankruptcy, which other brands could either go bankrupt or be wiped out my their master owners. I will start off with a few.

Maurice Lacroix
    Franck Muller
    Corum
    Cvstos

I hope I am wrong but Fortis and Glycine might struggle along with other smaller brands like Squale

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I hope I am wrong but Fortis and Glycine might struggle along with other smaller brands like Squale
    Glycine is owned by Invictia so should be fine.

Fortis has cashflow issues last year (or maybe the year before) so is a good bet to go under.

There's a ton of small-medium Swiss independents that rarely get any publicity and must be looking vulnerable - the likes of Roamer, Eberhard, Doxa, Armand Nicolet, Zeno, Edox, Valpin, Epos, Mathey-Tissot, Jowissa, Louis-Erard, Formex, Delma, Brellum, Arnold & Son... China will be waiting in the wings to buy the names and bin the rest...

Guessing the huge plethora of international microbrands are going to be decimated, too.

I should think Favre-Leuba are vulnerable, too.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McManus Watches

Master
    COVID is going to cause a severe jolt in the short term but we will recover as the virus runs itself out.

Some companies will go bust but if the demand is there they will survive. Recessions are like pruning roses, cut out the dead wood and the healthy stuff will grow to take its place. It has ever since been thus.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    There's a ton of small-medium Swiss independents that rarely get any publicity and must be looking vulnerable - the likes of Roamer, Eberhard, Doxa, Armand Nicolet, Zeno, Edox, Valpin, Epos, Mathey-Tissot, Jowissa, Louis-Erard, Formex, Delma, Brellum, Arnold & Son... China will be waiting in the wings to buy the names and bin the rest...

Guessing the huge plethora of international microbrands are going to be decimated, too.
    Based on what exactly? Several brands are part of pretty substantial companies. Arnold & Son is part of Citizen for example. Seems like your list consists of randomly chosen brands that you assume are independent.

As for micro's, they tend to operate with low overhead and costs; I see them lasting much longer than companies with a lot of wages to pay and banks/investors to pay off.

Master

A&S won’t be going anywhere, they’re owned by Citizen.

Bremont?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    McManus Watches
    No doubt to rise again like a Phoenix :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    Bremont?
    Teflon.

There's a ton of small-medium Swiss independents that rarely get any publicity and must be looking vulnerable - the likes of Roamer, Eberhard, Doxa, Armand Nicolet, Zeno, Edox, Valpin, Epos, Mathey-Tissot, Jowissa, Louis-Erard, Formex, Delma, Brellum, Arnold & Son...
    No worries there...shit doesn't stick to anything Swiss.

Probably best to play it safe and buy a Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by Kozzy View Post
    Based on what exactly? Several brands are part of pretty substantial companies. Arnold & Son is part of Citizen for example. Seems like your list consists of randomly chosen brands that you assume are independent.

As for micro's, they tend to operate with low overhead and costs; I see them lasting much longer than companies with a lot of wages to pay and banks/investors to pay off.
    I didn't know about A&S, but unless you know otherwise, the rest are not part of larger groups. Even if they are, the principles of business still apply - no sane company will continue to pour money into loss-making operations indefinitely.

My suggestions were based on the fact that those named are almost entirely unknown outside of watch-obsessive circles and have very low profiles globally. That's it, such is the nature of idle conversation on social media. If you require carefully-researched facts, do feel free to provide them.

You're right about micros. Their ephemerality is as much down to the whims of their owners - most of whom never give up the proverbial day job - as to market conditions. That said, a lot seem to be quiet to the point of being moribund, and my inbox is crammed daily with substantial discount offers from many of them...

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    No worries there...shit doesn't stick to anything Swiss.
    As above - they're not immune from the requirements of any business to pay for itself, at the very least.

Blog Entries
    Wasn't Breitling already struggling? Got bought out by cvc in 2017 https://www.cvc.com/media/press-rele...017/04-28-2017 - I wonder what CVC reckons on the deal now?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Wasn't Breitling already struggling? Got bought out by cvc in 2017 https://www.cvc.com/media/press-rele...017/04-28-2017 - I wonder what CVC reckons on the deal now?

If they paid $870 million for it - clearly not that struggling...