closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 77 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,850 of 8873

Thread: When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I almost picked a fourth fund...until I saw that 45% of their money was in Tesla!

How is that even possible? The very principle of funds is diversification...

No publicly distributed fund in Europe is allowed to invest more than 10% of its assets into a single name and all 5%+ positions combined must not be more than 40% of the fund's assets. The UK can obviously look forward to some softening of these criteria and maybe soon the British can also buy funds with 45% Tesla.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Gold and silver going down quicker than West Brom

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
    Topped up on gold this morning

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    You'd be better placing 10k on West Brom going down

I must be the only person i know who managed to end up the day down yesterday lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    You'd be better placing 10k on West Brom going down

Don't think so, but as a Wolves fan, that would be so easy

Craftsman
    Cineworld up 60%...without any company specific RNS

I didn’t sell it last time and went from double your money to a 30% loss, back to double your money

I might as well go to Ladbrokes, these markets are ridiculous, wild stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever had 6 V shaped recovery's and now a U, will it hold?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Not a good day to be only in gold and silver.

Here’s a lesson in passive investing.......When all the text books say “never do anything!”....they really are correct.

I’ll hold my hands up and say that as it stands today, between mid March and right now, I’d have been better of doing absolutely nothing and just leaving my pot sat there entirely invested in Vanguard LS80, rather than meddling.

Im sure things will improve again....but I suspect that this will be one of those days that they’ll talk about “being in or out of the market” on, in years to come.
    Many - most? - of the “FIRE passive investing” blogs I read say this but they also didn’t do it once (depending on why they started) so it is easier for them; they learnt their lesson.

Dow back to pre covid high, FTSE still 20% to go

I'm down for 2 days straight. I've lost 6% of my portfolio value in 2 days. I am heavy in Amazon and HLs mess up meant I held a damn sight more SMT than intended and that has dipped also. Basically all the stocks that did well in Covid have dropped but they will be back. Might even buy more Amazon.

Life is easier if you just stick everything in a tracker and leave it IMHO. Less stressful too

good day today my sipp managed by a FA is up 1 k , from being down 10K last week at its lowest !
    this is the excitement of being retired living on the sipp pension LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    good day today my sipp managed by a FA is up 1 k , from being down 10K last week at its lowest !
    this is the excitement of being retired living on the sipp pension LOL
    Same, I'm back to pre.covid highs despite living off it,

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Me too!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Life is easier if you just stick everything in a tracker and leave it IMHO. Less stressful too
    Absolutely

I’ve learned a lot over the last six months.

Firstly, forget trying to time the market and secondly I appreciate my final salary pension a whole lot more .

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I’ve learned a lot over the last six months.

Firstly, forget trying to time the market and secondly I appreciate my final salary pension a whole lot more .
    Indeed, and George Osbourne

Master
    "Thousands of investors who were locked out of their accounts on the busiest trading day on record will not receive compensation, despite some claiming losses of up to Ł10,000. Customers of Hargreaves Lansdown, Fidelity and AJ Bell, which collectively manage more than two million accounts, were unable to trade on Monday as the businesses' systems could not cope with a surge in demand. - The Times"

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    "Thousands of investors who were locked out of their accounts on the busiest trading day on record will not receive compensation, despite some claiming losses of up to Ł10,000. Customers of Hargreaves Lansdown, Fidelity and AJ Bell, which collectively manage more than two million accounts, were unable to trade on Monday as the businesses' systems could not cope with a surge in demand. - The Times"
    That is seriously serious. Not cool at all.

Absolutely no way to be able to pay compensation as there would be a slew of fraudsters claiming to have been unable to trade when they didn’t even try.

I guess they will have to up capacity just to cater for these once in a decade trading days.

Craftsman
    It’s not the platform, it’s the market makers that they are talking to being overwhelmed with buy and sell orders

It’s a market infrastructure issue, to some extent they try to address it via the circuit breakers on the US markets, but it’s just the way markets operate unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    It’s not the platform, it’s the market makers that they are talking to being overwhelmed with buy and sell orders

It’s a market infrastructure issue, to some extent they try to address it via the circuit breakers on the US markets, but it’s just the way markets operate unfortunately.

You sure?

I have not heard a word about market makers (if that still exists these days) being overwhelmed with orders, I certainly did not have any trouble this week with IAB.

According to my understanding, it were the websites of HL, Fidelity and others which couldn't cope with the traffic.

I would be transferring my account(s) immediately.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I couldnt even login to HL and AJbell, can't see how the market makers can be blamed for that. Very much looked to me like their servers couldnt handle the demand spike.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I use IG with no problems, saying that I didnt try and trade on crazy day so they may have been also..

Craftsman
    I’ve been using trading212 to hop in and out and had no issues

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    You sure?

I have not heard a word about market makers (if that still exists these days) being overwhelmed with orders, I certainly did not have any trouble this week with IAB.

According to my understanding, it were the websites of HL, Fidelity and others which couldn't cope with the traffic.
    Depends on the RSPs they are using and securities that they were attempting to trade, but there were issues trading as well as accessing accounts.

You wouldn’t build capacity and infrastructure resilience for days like Monday, it was the highest dealing volume day in recent memory

Master
    Fidelity was down for hours, and what's really extraordinary is that they haven't even sent an email apologising or saying they're looking into what happened, and planning to fix it so it doesn't happen again.

All of which makes me think....

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I would be transferring my account(s) immediately.

I just now placed 18 stock "buy" orders with Fidelity and they were all filled within minutes.

Master
    My RR right issue shares just hit my account and have averaged me down to 90.6 meaning I'm actually in profit on them for the first time in a long time!

I think they are a hold for me anyway so not sure how long I will be in profit for...

Master
    You sure?

Halifax share dealing also had problems, I couldn’t log in most of the afternoon.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I doubt any systems past or present would have been able to deal with the freak level of demand ... it's just another limitation investors need to account for.

There is no broker who will make massive capacity available that will sit redundant for 99.99% of the time ...

If people took a more long term investment view then these issues wouldn't matter ... panic buying or selling never seems to have any positive outcomes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I doubt any systems past or present would have been able to deal with the freak level of demand ... it's just another limitation investors need to account for.

There is no broker who will make massive capacity available that will sit redundant for 99.99% of the time ...

If people took a more long term investment view then these issues wouldn't matter ... panic buying or selling never seems to have any positive outcomes.
    I really think they (the broker) should. This is what cloud computing is all about coupled with metered use. There should be no excuse for crashed web infrastructure - but I am sure there will be some provided.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 13th November 2020 at 18:58.

Master
    Totally agree. The systems and capacity are absolutely available, it's whether firms choose to spend on them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Totally agree. The systems and capacity are absolutely available, it's whether firms choose to spend on them.
    Well of course there are no technical limits but I doubt people used to having almost free platforms would be willing to pay.

Master
    When it snows here, we never have enough gritters. Because it doesn’t snow very often. Hard to justify hundreds of gritters sitting idle (but costing money) year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Well of course there are no technical limits but I doubt people used to having almost free platforms would be willing to pay.
    Interactive Brokers worked faultless all week.

What was the trigger for the DJIA to pump in later trading?

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    When it snows here, we never have enough gritters. Because it doesn’t snow very often. Hard to justify hundreds of gritters sitting idle (but costing money) year after year.
    Exactly.

Master
    Hardly a big issue but people are missing the point somewhat. More capacity is available in a cost effective pay as you go way. It's not uncommon for more demand to be needed unexpectedly and investment platforms are hardly short of cash. It's just a question of planning for it.

Master
    And frankly, if the platforms are unavailable, they're losing money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    That's not how it works. There is no capital expenditure needed. Capacity can be bought as needed and not paid for when it isn't.

What are your thoughts on Brexit boost? If we get a deal this week will there be a big pos reaction or had that already been factored in?

I was wondering which shares will be the one to jump up the most if there’s a deal agreed.

It will all be so obvious again, after the event, but guessing which ones before hand takes a cleverer person than me.

Car parks in Kent

On the flip side if Sterling rises on the back of this, those companies with large revenues from foreign currencies may see their share price fall.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I was wondering which shares will be the one to jump up the most if there’s a deal agreed.

It will all be so obvious again, after the event, but guessing which ones before hand takes a cleverer person than me.
    I'm in with quite a lot of Rolls Royce shares, now the rights have all sorted themselves out I'm waiting for another crazy day, when the Pfizer vaccine was announced they shot up 97% at one point.

Apparently the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is only a few weeks away from being revealed, talk is it doesn't need to be kept at -80c either, could we have the perfect profit storm coming with the UK vaccine and Brexit all being announced within very close succession of each other???

If it does happen I certainly dont want to be on the side lines..

Update: the four U.S. airline stocks I bought early this year are now up 33-50%. I was lucky to pick them when they were hammered down 60-70%.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Update: the four U.S. airline stocks I bought early this year are now up 33-50%. I was lucky to pick them when they were hammered down 60-70%.
    True, but despite the performance, airlines were actually one of the poorest performing sectors since the March lows. Crazy world.

AZN may announce something this week. Let's see.....

Looks like we will get a decent bump everytime a new vaccine comes out with over 90% success rates , let's hope there are another 300 to declare

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

does seem like the vaccine news overall is promising, think i'm going to start putting my 90% cash back into trackers.