closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch hygiene

Watch hygiene

Anyone else see their watch as a potential carrier of infection? It might be a good idea to start washing your watch and leaving the leather strapped models in the drawer for now. The NHS has a bare below the elbow policy in clinical areas for infection control. Just something to consider.

Master
    No. .

I'm no longer prepared to be in the same room as someone with a beard. Can't be too careful.

I assume you don't plan to rub your watch on other peoples noses?
    Seriously it's a good point, but don't we all keep our watches clean? Easy with steel much harder with leather, or the gunk that builds up on leather.
    Can't sleep, Google bacteria on leather.

Craftsman
    Oh my god, this Coronavirus stuff is driving me mad !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh. I saw this on thingy somewhere. How to wash hands and use sanitizer to avoid certain death.

Watch off. Clean wrist as well.

My initial thoughts -

Where do you put watch when removing?
    On washroom sink? In pocket?
    Then we put watch back on after cleaning, touching buggy watch with our clean hands?

Sigh.

The only way I see around it is steel or rubber, wr, and zap watch as well.
    Or curl up and die of stress. One or the other.

Get yourself a forensic light source and you'll never want to use someone else's keyboard or mouse again - and the least said about hotel rooms, the better.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

That's me safe then

Haven't got a watch to wear at the moment, four are out for service etc and I took the cull a little too far leaving me with an empty wrist. I am on the hunt, so it shouldn't be too long, but what a complete load of bo***cks.

Perlon.

Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Amputate hands. End of problem.

Craftsman
    There is no way I am getting my Rolex wet, all the stickers will fall off.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    Anyone else see their watch as a potential carrier of infection? It might be a good idea to start washing your watch and leaving the leather strapped models in the drawer for now. The NHS has a bare below the elbow policy in clinical areas for infection control. Just something to consider.
    Do they indeed?

Every consultant I saw was wearing a watch, and most wedding rings. Unless you mean during actual surgeries?

Im cleaning my watches between 5 and 10 times a day, and having them tested every week - just in case.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Give the watch a bath in gin. Add some tonic and then drink the gin.

Master
    All my watches have self quarantined themselves - so I can't wear them anyway!

Don't get any of that alcohol sanitiser stuff on your AR coating either, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Perlon.
    I don't know about that. Too many nooks and crannies for stuff to hide in... same goes for bracelets. Rubber all the way.

I have just purchased a watch online. Should I leave it in the box for 14 days after it has arrived?

Better safe than sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I'm no longer prepared to be in the same room as someone with a beard. Can't be too careful.
    It depends what the rest of her looks like.....

Blog Entries
    I am home all day - so unless I have a way to spontaneously infect myself - no.

Any bugs are my own. I may go out in the garden and dig up some earth or cut the grass whatever - we should all be eating good old fashioned earth - get some bugs in our systems!! None of this namby-pamby hand washing going on. (Please take that in jest)..

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    That's me safe then

Haven't got a watch to wear at the moment, four are out for service etc and I took the cull a little too far leaving me with an empty wrist. I am on the hunt, so it shouldn't be too long, but what a complete load of bo***cks.
    That’s extremely poor planning, Ken. What kind of a WIS are you ?!

Simon

There is no microbiological evidence to support this policy. It was brought in to highlight the importance of hand hygiene at a time when hospital acquired infections were prominent in the news and it has become medical dogma.

Journeyman
    Nowadays I wear my watch only with rubber strap and I wash them every two days or so

IMG_4089.JPG

I also rub some parts with hand sanitizer especially if I’ve been to the crowded place...I don’t want my watch to become a virus carrier

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I don't know about that. Too many nooks and crannies for stuff to hide in... same goes for bracelets. Rubber all the way.
    Very easy to wash - dries quickly

Master
    Blog Entries
    No false bravado here,I washed the watch I received yesterday than put the box to one side.

I regularly rinse my watches anyway if I’ve been wearing them.

Any really dangerous stuff dies off outside the body without food source/humidity/temperature/host cells/etc.

I dont think a watch or any other jewlellery presents any health risk worth thinking about.

Next step would be Howard Hughes game.

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    All my watches have self quarantined themselves - so I can't wear them anyway!

Don't get any of that alcohol sanitiser stuff on your AR coating either, by the way.
    I always cleaned my watches with some alcohool based stuff....65% ethanol or more....no issues at all ...on AR I mean

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

Coronavirus will not suvive for more than 72 hours on metal / glass and other hard surfaces ... and less time on soft surfaces.

How long can coronavirus survive on surfaces?

The virus is thought to be able to remain on hard surfaces for up to 48 hours and soft surfaces for around 24 hours, deputy chief medical officer for England Jenny Harries said.

She said as a precaution, officials are using a 72-hour upper limit.

But it is not a strong virus and can be cleaned well with normal household detergents and bleach, she added.

We've evolved to be able to cope with regular microbes on our skin - in fact skin microbes are an essential part of out microbiome and thus our immune system … but viruses (as distinct from microbes) are a different matter and need treating with more respect.

Hand washing and wrist washing will destroy viruses on our skin … and even on our skin should not cause problems to an individual unless skin is broken. Viruses cannot penetrate healthy skin. The risk from skin present viruses is when we touch our body orifices i.e. pathways to the bloodstream and respiratory system … which include eyes, nostrils, ears, mouth, anus, vulva, and penis.
    Last edited by sundial; 15th March 2020 at 18:26.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"