closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another London mugging

Master

Another London mugging

"A tourist chased three robbers who stabbed him in the arm and yanked a £115,000 watch from his wrist in Mayfair.
    Bo Khan, 55, was with his wife when he was attacked for the designer Breguet Tourbillon in Berkeley Square.

Wearing a white T-shirt, he is seen on CCTV staggering after the muggers"

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...-a4355256.html

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Not that I am condoning the mugging in any way,shape or form but why tempt fate and offer such an obvious target by wandering round a big city with 100k+ on display?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Not that I am condoning the mugging in any way,shape or form but why tempt fate and offer such an obvious target by wandering round a big city with 100k+ on display?
    It's not a watch many folk would recognise or have a clue to it's value I'd have thought?

The other thread did not mention the knife. This sounds horrific.

Awful and terrifying the guy was stabbed.

Master
    I work near there. I'm amazed by some of the watches people have on show. Especially in summer when they have short sleeves on. I've seen all sorts of super high end stuff including a rainbow daytona, a rose gold AP RO perpetual calendar and a Richard Mille

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

The thieves are now knowledgeable about watches - it's not just rolex anymore.The sighting of a tourbillon would have been the green light for theft.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    That's terrible, guy could easily have been killed if he was stabbed. The last few times we've been to London we haven't worn anything that might attract muggers. Going on Eurostar from St Pancras later in the year, so Casio digital time again until we're on the train I think.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    It's not a watch many folk would recognise or have a clue to it's value I'd have thought?
    I often see this sort of comment, not specifically aimed at you but the amount of time on watch forums people make comments about how their expensive watch flys under the radar.

I think people severely underestimate crooks, I'm sure these theives are well aware of pretty much all the expensive brands and models and can spot them a mile off.

I highly doubt pretty much any high end watch will fly under their radars.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I often see this sort of comment, not specifically aimed at you but the amount of time on watch forums people make comments about how their expensive watch flys under the radar.

I think people severely underestimate crooks, I'm sure these theives are well aware of pretty much all the expensive brands and models and can spot them a mile off.

Agree with this, it's what they do so I think they will be pretty clued up in most instances.

A few years back some guys tried to steal my fathers wallet. Having given up driving he had been into town on the bus. As he got on the bus the guy in front leant backwards causing him to lose balance momentarily, while the guy behind tried to steal his wallet. He felt it and hit the thief hard on the arm, at which point the one in front pushed past and they both fled. When I said to the police officer they seemed pretty well practised he said 'It's what they do for a living, they know all the ways to distract people and usually pick on old people'.

Most of these people probably aren't rank amateurs.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I still wear mine all the time...I just make sure it’s covered by a sleeve.

Only place I’ve had an attempted mugging at knifepoint for a watch was in Oxford.
    Whereabouts in Oxford out of interest Christian?

This is absolutely terrifying. Hope the police helped you out with this ...

Only place I’ve had an attempted mugging at knifepoint for a watch was in Oxford. Fortunately, I managed to shove one of the muggers out of the way and run. I was quite surprised when they chased me. I ran quicker but was even more alarmed when an accomplice pulled up in a car and picked them up to pursue me in the car! I only escaped by running into a side road and doubling back when out of sight into someone’s garden. The car drove past.

Probably pretty stupid as they had a knife, but you’re not really in control when the adrenaline kicks in. Taught me not to walk back home late at night on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    An organised crime gang may have a dude who knows his s**t. Not that I know anything lol

Journeyman
    It's a shame that this happens. Severe lack of policing (and funding for police) doesn't help, most of these never get solved either because of lack of resources.

Craftsman
    I am pretty sure this happened last year, in the summer, but has been talked about again recently,

- - - Updated - - -

Only place I’ve had an attempted mugging at knifepoint for a watch was in Oxford. Fortunately, I managed to shove one of the muggers out of the way and run. I was quite surprised when they chased me. I ran quicker but was even more alarmed when an accomplice pulled up in a car and picked them up to pursue me in the car! I only escaped by running into a side road and doubling back when out of sight into someone’s garden. The car drove past.

Probably pretty stupid as they had a knife, but you’re not really in control when the adrenaline kicks in. Taught me not to walk back home late at night on my own.
    Thats crazy what watch were you wearing, that some one wanted that badly?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    An organised crime gang may have a dude who knows his s**t. Not that I know anything lol

Fair enough. I wasn't suggesting they were clueless though and I'm sure they're aware of all the brands, but I'd be surprised if they knew that exact model. As someone's pointed out, I'm sure there are things they look out for e.g. tourbillon, rather than having an intimate knowledge of Breguet's offerings, and I wondered whether the true value came as a bit of a surprise even to them..

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    The thieves are now knowledgeable about watches - it's not just rolex anymore.The sighting of a tourbillon would have been the green light for theft.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app
    I'd hate to be stabbed for a Seagull

Journeyman
    I seen that a limited edition Richard Mille was taken the other day to, apparently very limited watch. I wonder where and how they are selling these, these are not your typical submariner which no one would notice, a limited RM and a 115k watch will be impossible to sell surely?

Obviously no dealer would buy them and selling such rare pieces is going to be hard as if anyone notices it whilst wearing which they will being so rare its to risky?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'd hate to be stabbed for a Seagull
    Seagull will begin to think they've 'made it' in the watch world if that happens.......