closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Worlds strongest man

Master

Worlds strongest man

I’ve just watched this with my 7yo, he was very excited as I said they get to pull aeroplanes etc.

Nothing like that this year, much less interesting, lots of squats and deadlifts etc. There was an event where they carried an anvil but for the heavier weights it was just bags of sand. Not what it used to be, or maybe I’m getting old!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I’ve just watched this with my 7yo, he was very excited as I said they get to pull aeroplanes etc.

Nothing like that this year, much less interesting, lots of squats and deadlifts etc. There was an event where they carried an anvil but for the heavier weights it was just bags of sand. Not what it used to be, or maybe I’m getting old!
    I watched it yesterday with my lad, they were pulling 2 monster trucks:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    I watched it yesterday with my lad, they were pulling 2 monster trucks:
    That’s cool! Unfortunately the final didn’t have this.

Journeyman
    Agreed. Not like previous competitions where the events were more varied. Edited down to an hour meant lots of stuff seemed to be missed out. I remember the keg toss, fingals fingers, car walk, even tug o war. I’m sure it used to be over 2 days as well. Seems more down to luck now, one bad event and you’re seriously at a disadvantage. Better off watching Giants Live. Shame as this was always a treat to look forward to after Xmas.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Pretty sure the final was 90 mins, not an hour. I enjoyed it as much this year as previous years - I've been a fan for decades. The weight / demands continue to rise year on year, and the performances rise with them. Mark Felix is amazing, still breaking records at 53. Just wow all round. And the commentary is excellent too.

You should watch the previous 8 or so episodes on channel 5 catch-up, including Giants Live. They'll be there for a few weeks yet I imagine.

Yup, the preliminaries were 60min with the final at 90min.

I've been watching it each year for as long as I can remember, from Geoff Capes and beyond. Such incredible strength, the last Atlas Stone this year was 460lb!

I watched it each year, from Geoff Capes to Marius P, when the coverage started getting quite ropey--short prelim episodes that missed out a lot of the competition, seemingly had fewer 'characters', and the internet making the results available well ahead of the TV coverage.

How times changed:

I watched and loved it as usual. I also follow Eddie Hall on You Tube. The problem is that the weights are so phenomenal these days that, the athletes have to be protected from injury as much as possible.
    The log press for instance was a world record weight 15 years ago! This year it was part of a medley and every finalist lifted it.
    The keg toss was too biased to the taller athletes and bloody dangerous. If you follow Eddie Hall he explains how the sport has evolved from fat blokes, walking inside a VW Beetle to heaviest stones lift there has ever been.

The weights are getting heavier but they are doing less events which I think makes it harder for some guys to catch up ,still a good watch though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Agreed, it’s a great watch. Just felt a bit more like a power lifting competition. It seemed to favour smaller athletic types, all relative I know!!!

Pulling a plane or throwing a keg is all about pure size and strength.

As with any sport professionalism takes away a bit of the magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie Hall's dead lift record has gone...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52512211

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Eddie Hall's dead lift record has gone...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52512211
    But not in a competition, so surely it doesn't count? Also Eddie Hall has challenged Thor to a fight for calling him a liar over his original record...