timefactors watches

Thread: In memoriam Andrzej Stefan Ehrenkreutz, 1921-2008

Grand Master

In memoriam Andrzej Stefan Ehrenkreutz, 1921-2008

Please bear with me for what is a somewhat unusual contribution.

A quarter of a century ago, I met one of the most influential persons in my life. Professor Andrew S. Ehrenkreutz taught Islamic history at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, and had been assigned as the academic advisor for my master's program. It was in his seminars, and in conversation with him, that the idea for my doctoral thesis was first formulated and developed.

Andrew was born Andrzej Stefan Ehrenkreutz in then Polish Wilna (present-day Vilnius, a town that has belonged to a surprisingly high number of countries during his lifetime). He fought the Germans in Poland and France in 1939/40, became a POW, and spent the rest of the war as a farm-hand in rural Germany. After the war, he went to England - like many of his generation, he did not countenance going back to communist Poland where his father, a famous law professor, had been charged and killed by the NKWD in 1945. After receiving his Ph.D. from the renowned SOAS in London, he went to the US, became a professor at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, and finally retired to Australia where his son, his only child, lived. Despite his age, he visited Poland annually in the 1990s after the country had become free again, and on the long journeys from Australia frequently stopped by our home in Germany for a few days. So our friendship continued and expanded, and Andrew and my father, too, because of their similar background and experiences, developed a deep mutual appreciation during those visits.

The strong Polish-German connection with Andrzej - the first person from Poland I ever met - anticipated, and perhaps even paved the way for events that took place after Andrew could no longer come to Europe and which resulted in my now solidly mixed Polish-German family with a "second home" on the Polish Baltic Sea coast. In a way, the course of my life after leaving Ann Arbor has taken me closer to Andrzej, his experiences, and his home country, while we were physically becoming more separated.

Andrzej was a great Mensch, in the full sense of both words. He has had a determining influence on my own life, both academically by turning me into a historian of the Crusader States, and even more so by his example of great-heartedness, good-will and gentleness despite a life that would have given much justification for bitterness and resentment against other human beings, or even nations. In both, he has been and still is an inspiration for me, and emulating his attitude of kindness and intellectual rigor is the ideal I aspire to.

Andrzej passed away in Australia on 6 April 2008. I feel that I, and humanity, are poorer without him. I wish Andrew peace and rest with God in the better world he has passed on to.

__________________________________________________ ________

Among my most prized possessions is a photograph of Andrew, taken from a newspaper in the 1980s. Sometimes pictures capture the character, and the essence, of a human being this is one of them, in my eyes. It shows Andrew in a typical pose combining sharp intellectual enquiry, and human decency:

For a long time, this picture has adorned my office wall. With a view to the continuing decay of the black-and-white newspaper photograph, and upon the news of Andrew's death, I decided to approach our resident artist Born T. about creating an artistic drawing of the picture.

We quickly agreed on a black-and-white pencil sketch. Here is the result, which captures very well the original pose.

The drawing will find its place next to the picture of my father on our living-room wall.

But rummaging through Born's gallery during our discussion process, I was also much intrigued by two colored ink drawings I found there:

So we agreed on an additional colored drawing of Andrew in burgundy red ink. (The choice of color is also reminiscent of a well-known Polish song about one of the venerated moments in Polish history, the sacrifice of the Polish II Corps at the battle of Monte Cassino in 1944 "Cerwone maki na Monte Cassino").

While processing the picture file, I discovered that the colored drawing also looks very good in shades of gray:

I think Born has done wonderful renderings of the original picture. From now on, his work for me will be inextricably linked with my memory of Andrzej Stefan Ehrenkreutz.

Many Thanks, Born T., and requiesce in pace, Andrzej.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Re: In memoriam Andrzej Stefan Ehrenkreutz, 1921-2008

Great drawings, and an excellent way to remember a mentor.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Wonderful story Martin and thanks for sharing it.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Wonderful story Martin and thanks for sharing it.

R

Seconded ...

Thanks

dunk
    " but the greatest gift the railways give to us is the proper treatment of time." John Betjeman , BBC Home Service radio broadcast 4 July 1940.

Master

Thanks, Martin, for sharing the story with us. I feel deeply honoured to be asked to produce drawings of a person of such importance to your life.

Born

Thanks for sharing that, Martin, and those are great sketches.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Thanks for your story Martin,

there are many interesting people in this world that we don't know of, and your gave us a glimpse on the life of one of these.
    It must have been wonderful to share thoughts and discuss matters with someone like Andrezj, part of his thoughts will live on through yours

Born, as so often, your work has captured what Martin shared with us, well done.

Jeroen

Grand Master

Thanks for sharing that Martin. Treasure and enjoy the pictures and the memories. :)

Wonderful work Born. :)
    Best Regards - Peter
    Please Note: It is possible that Griswold may know nothing whatsoever about horology. It's even possible that he has never even owned a watch. It is also highly possible the he has a strange imagination. His wife insists he would be far better off paying more attention to taking his medication on time.

Fantastic story Martin - many thanks for sharing this.

Love the artwork and the variations, what a lovely tribute and way to remember :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master

Great story, great sketches of what was definitely a great man .. thanks for posting.
    /vince ..

Hey Martin,

I am sorry for you loss, as I know mentors, sometimes are better than family, and it is hard to see them go.

Godspeed to your friend, and know he had a good life.

John

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Lovely tale and great sketches
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Journeyman

Superb work...very interesting story!

Steve

Fajwisz

First of all, I only just found this site and most moving tribute. The sketches do indeed do Andrew justice. He was my teacher at the U of Michigan 40 years ago, and his wife and he became close and dear friends of our family. We were in frequent contact via e-mail until the end.

On this Wednesday past, 9 July, 2006, at 13:00 his and his wife's ashes were interred at the Veterans section of the cemetery at the National Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa. It was my honor to be with their son Stefan and Carmel, their daughter-in-law.

A lovely tribute appeared in Australia last month, and as excellent as it is, it only touches the iceberg.

ttp://tinyurl.com/6ljwkw

Craftsman

I 've read this story with passion. it's great to hear about famous Polish people. Thanks a lot for that.
    regards
    Leszek

bighec

Very moving story

Blog Entries

Going back in old files is always interesting - I loved this story.
    A very touching tribute to a great sounding person - some leave footprints others leave shadows, he definitely appears to leave the former !
    Poland has had a terribly sad history and we often forget the enormous contribution its people made to liberating the world we have today !
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    Going back in old files is always interesting - I loved this story.
    A very touching tribute to a great sounding person - some leave footprints others leave shadows, he definitely appears to leave the former !
    Poland has had a terribly sad history and we often forget the enormous contribution its people made to liberating the world we have today !
    Peter
    Well said Peter.

Thank you for sharing Martin.

Thank you Martin; a great read. The Black n White from the newspaper shows him as a 'solid character' IMO.

Very nice tribute, sounds like a great man.
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Craftsman

Thanks for sharing, it honours this gentlemans memory; and shares a beautiful piece of art.

Apprentice

In memoriam Andrzej Stefan Ehrenkreutz, 1921-2008

a grate man worth our appreciation!